> Starting gear and legality codes
obsidian razor
post Jan 23 2011, 10:50 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,671

Hi everyone!

My DM has a doubt about starting gear. In the game it states nothing higher than rating 6 and nothing higher the availability 12, but does this permit "F" rated gear at character creation?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jan 23 2011, 11:05 AM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Yup, unless your DM decides to house rule it, "F" rated gear is perfectly allowed at character creation. Just be ready to deal with the consequences if you get caught with it!

The "F" rating often feels kind of arbitrary (having sturdy, safer, bones is absolutely illegal with no way to get a permit? Really?), and remember that it's not directly linked to availability (which is generally a more accurate marker of how tough something is to get ahold of, aka how rare it should be on the streets).

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Jan 23 2011, 11:10 AM
Post #3

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

It just means how the officials will react to such gear.

Legal gear (without a letter) is no problem at all.
Restricted gear ( R ) can be a problem, if it isn't properly licensed (usually with a Fake SIN / Fake License).
Forbidden gear ( F ) is a problem, since it is not possible to legalise that.

Still, via black market channels, forbidden gear (i.e. Fake SINs are also forbidden) can be acquired, but you cannot walk into a shop and buy it there.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
rofltehcat
post Jan 23 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 18,893

The F rated gear looks a bit strange sometimes. Bone reinforcements for example... obviously most F gear is for military or corp special forces only. And while I can imagine them removing some other cyber ware if you leave service I can't imagine how they would remove bone reinforcements.
So there has to be a way to get licenses for it, it is just much harder. Also there has to be some sort of document that says "this guy is special forces and may have this stuff inside this body although it is forbidden for normal people".

So I wonder why there aren't licenses for F gear that are extremely hard and expensive to fake and are normally checked more intensely than normal licenses.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Jan 23 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

QUOTE (rofltehcat @ Jan 23 2011, 11:50 AM) *
The F rated gear looks a bit strange sometimes. Bone reinforcements for example... obviously most F gear is for military or corp special forces only. And while I can imagine them removing some other cyber ware if you leave service I can't imagine how they would remove bone reinforcements.
So there has to be a way to get licenses for it, it is just much harder. Also there has to be some sort of document that says "this guy is special forces and may have this stuff inside this body although it is forbidden for normal people".

So I wonder why there aren't licenses for F gear that are extremely hard and expensive to fake and are normally checked more intensely than normal licenses.

I treat it more like diplomatic immunity than licensing. Those employed in a capacity that the authorities consider reliant on dangerous technology will have an ID that tells the right people that they're exempt. E.g. An off-duty soldier sets off a cyberware scanner, security reads his ID, they see he's in an exempt profession and they leave him alone. They don't need to check that his cyberware is all job-related, the army would be doing that themselves.

I intend to house-rule it much more difficult to forge an exempt ID, but it hasn't come up yet.

+Quote Post
obsidian razor
post Jan 23 2011, 02:36 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 15,671

Thanks guys!

That cleared things up =P

+Quote Post
Omenowl
post Jan 23 2011, 05:04 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,167

I think if it is incorporated into typical civilian medical applications I wouldn't worry about the restriction or forbidden designation. Bone lacing and bone density should not somehow be considered more restrictive than cyberlimbs especially when wired reflexes is merely restrictive.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 23 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I don't understand this 'leave the service' assumption. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) This is 2070.

+Quote Post
Omenowl
post Jan 23 2011, 05:26 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,167

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 23 2011, 11:05 AM) *
I don't understand this 'leave the service' assumption. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) This is 2070.

Actually it could be like the US Military for retired officers. They can still be called into active duty at anytime. I am not sure how Corps deal with it as they will let you go as soon as you are no longer profitable and some things like bone lacing are probably harder to extract than to put in.

+Quote Post
Niemand
post Jan 23 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 19,196

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 23 2011, 12:05 PM) *

You only can 'leave the service' one way: a toe tag and a trip to the Corp approved crematory of your choice.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jan 23 2011, 08:32 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

My personal opinion is that any runner worth his salt should break three or four laws, just for existing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.