Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drones and Sensors (yes, again), Just checking if I've gotten this right
Ole_I
post Jan 23 2011, 06:46 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,130

Okay, I've searched this topic, and found what seems like an answer. Problem is, I find it both too simple and too good to be true. So, just to check:

Let's say a character buys a Steel Lynx (large drone, Sensor 3). According to Arsenal, it should have the following sensors:

Atmosphere sensor
Camera x 2
Laser range finder x 2
Motion sensor x 2

And there's still room to throw in one more if I want.

Now, we want to improve the sensor rating. Only the cameras have ratings, so we simply buy two rating 6 cameras for 600 nuyen each, and presto! The lynx gets a sensor rating of 6!

Is it really that simple - and that cheap?

Of course, I don't really see the sense in having two of all of those on such a small drone, so I think I'll pull out the doubles and the atmospheric sensor in favour of a radar or something else. But it is still gold, right?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Quake
post Jan 23 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 19,247

Yeah, and the fact that the Sensor rating gets added to the weapon combat skill for a "jumped in" rigger makes for a seemingly easy increase to the attack DP.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 23 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

The 6 only counts for using the cameras, but since that's all you really want in most cases… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Quake, it's more like Sensor stands in for Agility (or Pilot, or Command). You're right that it may be easier to have Camera 6 than Command 6, but it's not really 'something for nothing'.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Jan 24 2011, 08:52 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

From what I remember, Sensors are averaged to produce the sensor rating. Well, at least every Sensor with a rating is averaged.

So, that Atmosphere Sensor that doesn't go over R3 will mess your average up, and, honestly, I don't think your drone needs to know what the weather is like. I'd probably suggest a Barometric sensor for a gunbot. It's got no rating, and serves the same function from the standpoint of ballistics calculation.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 24 2011, 06:59 PM
Post #5

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

In RL cameras will be the way to go for positioning. Cheap, passive, useful for human operators. So it is appropiately cheap to walk the route of multiple cameras.

IŽd add a microfone to get audio data, with SR sensor software it adds plenty of useful combat information.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 24 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #6

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Technically, SR cameras already have microphones (just as commlinks have both, by default). However, there don't seem to be any rules about the rating/capabilities of such 'built-in' bits, so they're best ignored. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

On my spy drones, I'd always want a *laser* mic as well (in addition to cameras and microphones, that is).

I'm not sure if people usually use the rules, but the GM is also supposed to determine if a given test is hindered by inadequate sensor *coverage*. If you only splurged for a single camera, expect to miss things that someone with 3 won't.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:20 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.