IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Destroy [Free Spirit] spell in Digital Grimoire, ... why?
pbangarth
post Jan 26 2011, 05:46 AM
Post #1

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

The Destroy [Free Spirit] spell, on page 16 of Digital Grimoire, looks to be a waste of time, as it does what a Manabolt does, for only marginally less Drain, but for exactly one creature in all of creation and for a whole crapload of extra work to get it. Unless...

... it actually does destroy the Free Spirit instead of just disrupting it, given that it incorporates the Free Spirit's spirit formula, thus obviating the necessity of following it to its own metaplane to kill it for good.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Jan 26 2011, 06:01 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,228

Does it seem too good to be true? Then the answer is most likely no.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jan 26 2011, 06:20 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Considering the description says it's for a specific free spirit and not free spirits in general, I'd think that it would outright destroy said free spirit if you wholly filled it's condition modifier by this spell and this spell alone.

Of course, it's probably gonna be GM's discretion if the spell would truly work this way. Personally I don't know that many magician players who'd waste their time, money, and karma for such a one-off spell; one in particular would say "frag this drek of a spell" and just stick with regular manabolts instead.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Jan 26 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

it's an NPC spell. I imagine a poor outcased community with a old lady street shaman who most of the time is the villages healer. they've been harrassed by a Wild F10 Spirit for the last two years. now they need to put it to an end. he's danger and her drain stats are only average, so she gets going and writes that spell formula.
Now she might be able to disrupt him and every time he comes back in the future.
awesome spell

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 26 2011, 03:03 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Non-optimal options are still options.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 26 2011, 03:13 PM
Post #6

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Doesn't the Manablt simple send the spirit back to it's metaplane for some time?
And does the Destroy Spell maybe really get rid of the spirit for good?

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 26 2011, 04:17 PM
Post #7

Old Man of the North

That's what I would like to know. Yes, it is a non-optimal spell, but for my Free Spirit PC in my home game, it actually could be a spell of choice.

She has just made herself an enemy of a Free Spirit running a criminal operation in Las Vegas. She beat the 'Madam' in a magical showdown at a bordello where many metahumans are held magically, sending the Spirit to its home metaplane for some number of days. It has turned into an ongoing grudge match. My girl, Bryneir, wants to free the sex slaves but doesn't have the mojo to dispell a bunch of Quickened spells containing them. And this could all be done over again, anyway.

By great good fortune, Bryneir learned the True Name of the Madam, and so has the first crucial step in the process to do the Destroy [Madam] spell. It would be good to know if this spell will do the trick, or whether it is necessary to go to the Madam's metaplane to finish her off. That would be an epic run.

Once I get a cross-section of opinions here, I will talk to the GM.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jan 26 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

Since you need the spirit's formula/true name I'd say that you kill it forever and ever.

+Quote Post
Seth
post Jan 26 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 19,113

it's an NPC spell. I imagine a poor outcased community with a old lady street shaman who most of the time is the villages healer. they've been harrassed by a Wild F10 Spirit for the last two years. now they need to put it to an end.

I think you are right. Its also an example of similar spells: perhaps "Destroy Ghostwalker..." or something similar.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 26 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

There's SLAY DRAGON or KILL DRAGON O.o

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 26 2011, 11:18 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (Cheops @ Jan 26 2011, 11:14 AM) *
Since you need the spirit's formula/true name I'd say that you kill it forever and ever.

THIS is the reason it exists. This is the reason its good.

If you have the spirit's formula, you can do so much crazy-batshit to a spirit.
You can force them to stop whatever they are doing, and come to you. At will. No drain. And you don't even have to be awakened to do it, much less have binding. (sm 108)
You can also bind free spirits at no drain. Yes, no drain. Specifically so. Its also worth noting that ANYONE can prepare the ritual to bind a spirit(arcana+logic, threshold 1), but then you need someone with binding to actually perform it. (like a mage-for-hire)

Since free spirits are automagically(literally) aware of all copies of their formula, and should be incredibly afraid of someone who has it.

Destroy Free Spirit isn't there to go 'lol, stunbolt is better'.
Its to go 'i'm tired of your shit. Come here, right now. Okay, now you're bound. Show me your home metaplane, then do nothing but twiddle your thumbs until your services run out. Sweet, we're here. BOOM, you're dead, permanently. Suck it.' or 'thats what i'm GOING to do to you if you mess with me again. BEHAVE.'

I'm fairly sure there are other interesting shenanigans to be done with a free spirits formula, but being able to compel and control them, and having that built into the spell itself is a big one.

Edit: Oh yeah. I'm fairly sure you can use astral tracking to find that free spirit anywhere, by using its formula. It would also make a great sympathetic link for ritual magic.

pbangarth: Thats pretty awesome, actually. I'd heartily endorse creating a Destroy Madam spell - pick up street magic and start looking for uses of a spirits true name/formula. There's plenty of other useful/annoying things you can do with it - just be careful it doesn't happen back to your spirit character!

+Quote Post
Charon
post Jan 26 2011, 11:51 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 26 2011, 06:18 PM) *
Destroy Free Spirit isn't there to go 'lol, stunbolt is better'.
Its to go 'i'm tired of your shit. Come here, right now. Okay, now you're bound. Show me your home metaplane, then do nothing but twiddle your thumbs until your services run out. Sweet, we're here. BOOM, you're dead, permanently. Suck it.' or 'thats what i'm GOING to do to you if you mess with me again. BEHAVE.'

I think it's more of the later. You want to hold the spell over a spirit's head. If you are already hostile, you disrupt it then do the metaplane quest and kill it, right? No need to waste good karma to learn a spell and then kill it. But if you want to strongarm a free spirit... That's the kind of spell the free spirit's boss would know.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 27 2011, 12:51 AM
Post #13

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

*Does* the spell actually do this, though (destroy forever)? That is, does the book say so?

Otherwise, we're talking about a (perfectly reasonable) house rule, and I'd just like to keep things straight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 27 2011, 01:09 AM
Post #14

Runner

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 26 2011, 05:51 PM) *
*Does* the spell actually do this, though (destroy forever)? That is, does the book say so?

Otherwise, we're talking about a (perfectly reasonable) house rule, and I'd just like to keep things straight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE (DG16)
This variation of Slay (p165 sm) is designed to target a specificfree spirit; different versions of this spell could exist for every free spirit. The target of each spell is designated by the spell formula, which must incorporate the target's spirit formula.This spell has no effect on any other spirit, even one of the same type as the free spirit. The spell formula counts as a copy of the spirit formula for all purposes
Type: M. Range: LOS. Damage: P. Duration: I. DV: F/2-2

Bolding by me. that bit is important, and has a lot of rules implications.

Slay Free Spirit does not permakill regular spirits. However, its a mana spell, which means you can cast it in the spirits home plane just fine.
What you COULD do is Slay the spirit in the real/astral world, then ritual magic a slay at it while its banished/trapped in its metaplane. Problem solved.
I may have also missed a use of the spirit formula to harm a spirit - you really have to hunt for uses of it, since there's no real list, and i don't want to comb through DG, SM and RW looking for scrap sentences.

However, yeah, its a fairly reasonable house rule.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 27 2011, 01:43 AM
Post #15

Old Man of the North

There's the rub, eh? Does this spell kill permanently even here in the physical plane? If it doesn't, then there is no point to learn a different spell, as any P damage spell will kill on the target Free Spirit's metaplane. (Or even multiple applications of an M damage spell!) But you have to go there, don't you? And who knows what else is there?

There is a parallel situation in the Banishment of a Free Spirit. Normally this is temporary, but using its spirit formula permanently Banishes it. What is the point of this new spell, if it doesn't do anything different except limit the target to one? Well, and drop the Drain by one.

As it turns out for Bryneir, she currently has no spell that deals Physical damage. Don't ask. This opponent is important enough to her that learning a one-shot spell that nukes it is worth it. Especially if she doesn't have to follow it to its home plane. Bryneir knows what waits at her home plane for an interloper.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 27 2011, 02:17 AM
Post #16

Runner

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 26 2011, 06:43 PM) *
There's the rub, eh? Does this spell kill permanently even here in the physical plane? If it doesn't, then there is no point to learn a different spell, as any P damage spell will kill on the target Free Spirit's metaplane. (Or even multiple applications of an M damage spell!) But you have to go there, don't you? And who knows what else is there?

There is a parallel situation in the Banishment of a Free Spirit. Normally this is temporary, but using its spirit formula permanently Banishes it. What is the point of this new spell, if it doesn't do anything different except limit the target to one? Well, and drop the Drain by one.

As it turns out for Bryneir, she currently has no spell that deals Physical damage. Don't ask. This opponent is important enough to her that learning a one-shot spell that nukes it is worth it. Especially if she doesn't have to follow it to its home plane. Bryneir knows what waits at her home plane for an interloper.

You are completely ignoring the fact that your spell is part of their formula. You just have it, always, and can't lose it.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 27 2011, 02:49 AM
Post #17

Old Man of the North

No, no. I understand completely. Your earlier discussion made lots of sense. But Bryneir is focused on destroying this opponent, not controlling her. Once the spirit formula is fabricated, Bryneir could arrange for a magician capable of Banishing the Madam to do so, but there is an underlying history for Bryneir that makes direct action by her in this matter a priority.

The spirit formula will still have to be manufactured. Then the spell learned, which in itself will be an interesting process for a Free Spirit. All kinds of things can happen in between. But it would be good to have talked it over first with the GM with some reasoned opinion behind the discussion.

+Quote Post
Seth
post Jan 27 2011, 07:56 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 19,113

Then the spell learned, which in itself will be an interesting process for a Free Spirit

As you rightly point out it will be interesting as the free spirit can only learn by watching it being cast. So they have to persuade someone else to part with 5 karma to learn the spell, then see it used....

+Quote Post
Traks
post Jan 27 2011, 02:53 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,685

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 26 2011, 10:47 PM) *
There's SLAY DRAGON or KILL DRAGON O.o

The correct spell is "dragonslave". Only redhead sorceresses can cast it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 27 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

"I said SLAY the Dragon, not LAY the Dragon!"

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 27 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 27 2011, 11:43 AM) *
"I said SLAY the Dragon, not LAY the Dragon!"

Man, every time this comes up there's an image I want to post.
But I can NEVER FIND IT.

Features a "half-dragon" going to hug a knight with mom off to one side grinning.

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Jan 27 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,693

You're thinking about THIS ONE ?

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 27 2011, 06:34 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Dahrken @ Jan 27 2011, 01:29 PM) *

Actually, yes.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Jan 28 2011, 05:35 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

QUOTE (Dahrken @ Jan 27 2011, 10:29 AM) *

Awesome

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 28 2011, 05:42 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Tyro @ Jan 28 2011, 12:35 AM) *
Awesome

I know, isn't it? I recall trying to find that picture at least twice before.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:47 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.