Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mob Control vs Commanding Voice, How would this work
klinktastic
post Jan 26 2011, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,442

In my PbP game, we just had a force 5 Mob Control spell land on a group of NPCs. Whilst still under its effect, another PC commanding voices one of those NPCs to lay down. His magic is 4. What would happen in this situation? The NPC is effectively under the control of the initial caster and his spell. Since the spell is force 5, it is technically more powerful than the magic 4 commanding voice. Anyone have thoughts on how this would work?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eratosthenes
post Jan 26 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,409

As the NPCs are not under their own control, the Commanding Voice would have no effect.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jan 26 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #3

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

Roll-off, I think. I believe Commanding Voice requires a Magic + Skill roll to work, and targets roll willpower or strength or something to resist, yeah? Have the PC with Commanding Voice roll vs the Control Mob spell as if it was a resistance roll for the spell.

Alternately: nothing happens. Control Mob controls their bodies, not their minds; they can want to obey the person with commanding voice, but they are being puppeted.

Alternately x2: is the spellcaster who is using Control Mob within the area of affect of Commanding Voice? He might unconsciously order the mob to lay down as *he* does so.

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Jan 26 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Mob control allows the caster to "command" their targets to move using simple actions I believe. Maybe if the "command" is the same "command" as the commanding voice, it becomes a free action? Since caster barely has to exert any will to force the target to do the action?

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Jan 26 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 17,589

If the Commanding Voice command contradicts the Mob Control, I'd just give the Control'd another save.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 26 2011, 10:53 PM
Post #6

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Fatum @ Jan 26 2011, 05:48 PM) *
If the Commanding Voice command contradicts the Mob Control, I'd just give the Control'd another save.

Yes.

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Jan 27 2011, 04:59 PM
Post #7

Running Target

That's all the discussion this topic generated? Slightly disappointed. I feel like there are far reaching implications. Multiple people attempting to control someone's mind could lead to interesting and unintended consequences.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Jan 27 2011, 05:53 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 17,589

Obviously, the topic sparks little interest, because when you're facing a mage mind-controlling a bunch of grunts and directing them to attack you, you don't mind-control the grunts back.
You geek the mage.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jan 27 2011, 05:55 PM
Post #9

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

Eh, I don't think it's as far reaching an issue as you'd think. No more far reaching than Control Thoughts on a bound spirit who's been ordered to do something contradictory, or using Alter Memory on someone who's had false memories implanted with an ASIST black box.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.