Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Techno-Face, Character/Concept Review
Udoshi
post Jan 29 2011, 03:25 AM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,566

In light of all the recent threads about technomancers, I wanted to showcase an interesting build: A technomancer face, focuses around the Networker stream. Technoshaman didn't appeal to me, and I thought it'd be good to show off some interesting trick. This character is not -quite- meant for serious play: The skills are low, some(okay, most) of the attributes are pathetic, and the complex forms are non-optimal at best.(i really hate the logic limit), and they -really- need more gear, not to mention a lifestyle.

Still, I'd welcome some critique. On one hand, I was aiming to make a Networker with some interesting tricks beyond the normal technomancer-norm. I quite like the idea of symbiosis being sort of tied to the resonance (this neighborhood is my home node), and the use of the resonant conditioning critter power as a means of tricking the 'normals'. AR is supposed to be -everywhere- in 2072, and it makes sense that a social-mancer would use it to their advantage. Telematics is also interesting, in that it shows where nodes are around you, and scans them out automatically for you. Its basically a sixth sense for hidden nodes. Sure, it does it slow, but in a social environment(dinner, a meeting, shopping) you have a few minutes to kill to track down peoples hidden links.

One final note is this character was made with BP-gen, so mosts of the costs are in build points. I did want to compare it to karmagen, so I converted the costs and marked the karma costs in each section. For the record, I used the balanced, german karmagen (pay some for race, 4a costs), and it came out with about 150 points to spare.

Anyway, have at it.

[ Spoiler ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Jan 29 2011, 05:02 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

You mean tunnel, not sapper, right? In the wrap-up?

I'd worry about the TIe CF. I feel like, while it may be software that has absolutely no mention to how it's supposed to run, logically it would have to be installed on a network of wireless devices to triangulate positions continuously.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 29 2011, 05:11 AM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Depends on what he's planning for it to do. If he's running TI, he can be *part* of such a network. I agree that he can't get any particular bonuses by himself, and I hope he's not trying to use it for something silly, like free automatic Scan/Trace/etc. There are already ways to do that (some simpler). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 29 2011, 05:29 AM
Post #4

Runner

QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jan 28 2011, 10:02 PM) *
You mean tunnel, not sapper, right? In the wrap-up?

I'd worry about the TIe CF. I feel like, while it may be software that has absolutely no mention to how it's supposed to run, logically it would have to be installed on a network of wireless devices to triangulate positions continuously.

Yes, i do mean tunnel. Nice catch, and edited.

Ti-E, i feel, works fine as-is. Resonance fuckery, ahoy! You can tie your team's communications into it, though, and use them as your TI network. As a counterpoint to Sithney, TI DOES say how its supposed to be run. There's nothing that prevents it from being run by a single node - but its much, much more effective with more signals/scanners tied into it.

At the very least, it points out theprecise physical locations of notes you can detect, which IS something Trace doesn't do.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Jan 29 2011, 06:21 AM
Post #5

Runner

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 28 2011, 09:29 PM) *
At the very least, it points out theprecise physical locations of notes you can detect, which IS something Trace doesn't do.

Yeah, Trace can get you to, what, a 50 meter radius?

Do you know how many Heimdall missiles it takes to vaporize a 50m radius? It's a lot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/twirl.gif)

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 29 2011, 07:22 AM
Post #6

Runner

QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jan 28 2011, 11:21 PM) *
Yeah, Trace can get you to, what, a 50 meter radius?

yeah, though, Analyze debatably can pinpoint a node once you've traced it (one relevant piece of information is a valid choice for using your net hits).

Still, TI does it automatically, which is really nice.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Jan 29 2011, 01:58 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 29 2011, 05:25 AM) *
5 intuitive hacking: tunnel (RW 218)
5 intuitive hacking: resonant conditioning (RW 217)

Empathy Sensor Software 5
Telematics Infrastructure 1
Reality amplifier: Focus (unw 189) 1

These all feel kinda suspicious, especially getting emergent critter powers with intuitive hacking quality and the reality amplifier as complex form.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 29 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

Yeah, wait what? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) That's ridiculous.

You get to choose a normal Matrix action, not a *power*.

Amps are BTLs, which I'm not aware you can CF.

TI triangulates, using comprehensive area coverage.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 29 2011, 06:57 PM
Post #9

Runner

QUOTE (Mäx @ Jan 29 2011, 06:58 AM) *
These all feel kinda suspicious, especially getting emergent critter powers with intuitive hacking quality

Its a technomancer, i'm a technomancer. We both use the resonance. What more do you need?

Oh yeah. Rules.

Both critter powers are a single matrix action, which makes them perfectly fine to take with Intuitive Hacking.

What, exactly, is your issue with it besides it feeling not right?

As for the CF: See the OP. I already said that, for this character, CF's of other programs would be allowed. The FAQ ruling seems to support this, but leaves a backdoor for the GM to shoot it down.

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 29 2011, 07:24 AM) *
Yeah, wait what? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) That's ridiculous.
You get to choose a normal Matrix action, not a *power*.

I'm surprised you didn't notice that earlier.
It IS a power!
That lets you take an action!
This is the part where I make a pun about Resonance Shortcuts.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 29 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #10

Advocatus Diaboli

Don't get indignant; this is extremely munchkin (much more than running a 1-node TI system for free scans). Using the power requires a specific action, that's all. Intuitive Hacking lets you take a normal Matrix action that would otherwise require a program or complex form. Not a power.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Jan 29 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 29 2011, 08:57 PM) *
What, exactly, is your issue with it besides it feeling not right?

Mostly the fact that your using a cheap quality to get stuff that it's not meant to give you and you can't get in anyway except bending that quality over backwards.
Also the part where the hacker can take those powers too if a techno can.
Also while they maybe matrix actions, their a kind of actions you can't normally make under any circumstances.

And of those complex forms im mostly vary of the reality amplifier which is a BTL chip.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 29 2011, 07:15 PM
Post #12

Advocatus Diaboli

BTL chip/program. I'm just not sure if you can CF a BTL in the first place. Simsense programs generally have special limitations (ActiveSofts, Program Options). ActiveSofts, for example, can't be Threaded, and can't be normally CF'd; instead, you have to Emulate (possibly saving into a CF) them from a working copy, right? It is possible that you could do that for an Amp (14R, stupidly-low 500¥). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'd definitely enforce BTL addiction rules, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 29 2011, 07:16 PM
Post #13

Runner

QUOTE (Mäx @ Jan 29 2011, 12:11 PM) *
And of those complex forms im mostly vary of the reality amplifier which is a BTL chip.

Granted on the first points. It works, but its still kind of cheesy.

As a counterpoint to the one-node TI: As written, it ignores mutual signal range. Nodes -just- need to be inside its coverage area. If you're using strict RAW, then one node TI is all you need.

As for BTLs, all you need to run them is a hotsim module.
Which..... technomancers have built in, don't they?
Besides, I like the idea of a TM having a Spock Mode switch they can turn on and off. And getting addicted to their own resonane.
Why shouldn't technomancers be able to hack their own brain?

Your point about simsense programs really isn't valid: It can't take program options, and its not a skillwire program.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 29 2011, 07:22 PM
Post #14

Advocatus Diaboli

It really is valid, because I didn't make either of those arguments. I said, "I'm just not sure if you can CF a BTL in the first place. Simsense programs generally have special limitations (ActiveSofts, Program Options)." That is, *I'm not sure* you can do it, and I gave examples of similar cases. Christ.

Nothing's stopping you from running Amp as a normal program, of course. It's not clear to me if being a Technomancer counts as a hotsim for non-CFs, but a 1/1 commlink isn't exactly a roadblock there. Again, if Emulation is not an option.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jan 29 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

This is a comparatively minor quibble, but why do you have a nanohive that is used alphaware? It costs exactly the same as a standard grade nanohive, and you aren't even saving Essence, since you are using your cyberhand's capacity for it. I would recommend changing it to standard grade. Getting used 'ware just gives the GM an excuse to make things go wrong with it at the worst possible times, and you aren't getting any kind of benefit to offset that.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 29 2011, 09:46 PM
Post #16

Runner

QUOTE (Glyph @ Jan 29 2011, 02:19 PM) *
This is a comparatively minor quibble, but why do you have a nanohive that is used alphaware? It costs exactly the same as a standard grade nanohive, and you aren't even saving Essence, since you are using your cyberhand's capacity for it. I would recommend changing it to standard grade. Getting used 'ware just gives the GM an excuse to make things go wrong with it at the worst possible times, and you aren't getting any kind of benefit to offset that.

Cost and grade requirements.

I need the alphaware hand to fit it in one point of essence.
Things that go into that hand must be alpha+grade.
Second-hand is half off, for an increased essence tradeoff. Since we're using capacity, its not an issue.
used-gear penalties are GM-dependent, and not an automatic, hard, god-given penalty.

Its an even better deal if you're using a basic-grade limb.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 29 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #17

Advocatus Diaboli

You'd think they'd increase the capacity, then. Oh well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Can't close every little loophole.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jan 29 2011, 10:07 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Ah, missed that the cyberhand was alpha.

Normally, the GM can make the character "pay" for used 'ware by making it less reliable, but if a GM is permissive to allow all of this rules-bending, he isn't likely to be a hardass about enforcing things like that.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 29 2011, 11:04 PM
Post #19

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

You demonstrate perfectly that karmagen is superior for TMs. That statline could use a boost, and refitting the quality setup as I would will not save BP:

5 TM - obvious
5 Analytical Mind - +2 data search/software
5 Paragon (Flow: +2 threading, +1 code/data sprites, -1 cybercombat attack)
10 Perceptive 2 - +2 to Matrix Perception tests
10 Homeground - +2 for whipping up sprites in a specific group of nodes
(Establish the Resonance Bond ingame using RP.)

The skillset of a Face should Include Perception, Perceptive helps somewhat. We need more given Skill 0 and Intuition 2. Not a karmagen problem.

Using BP-gen Orks are the better trade-off here compared to Dryads - Cha-3 Agi-1 Bod+2 Str+2 BP+55, relativly speaking. Get Int +2=4 (+6 to knowledge skills, maybe Language 4/Language 2), get a +3 to distribute among groups, get another contact. Given the networking idea, sprites are more fitting than doing stuff on your own. Minmax the groups (7+3=10 rating points to distribute):

Influence 4 to compensate for lower CHA
Compiling 5 / Registering 5 instead of Tasking 4 - (Homeground 2, get a spec ingame)
Cracking 1
EW 1

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 29 2011, 07:57 PM) *
Both critter powers are a single matrix action, which makes them perfectly fine to take with Intuitive Hacking.

Tempting as the idea might be, Intuitive Hacking removes the need for a CF, but not for a power. If you somehow get the power, you could also get Intuitive Hacking for it.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Jan 30 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #20

Runner

QUOTE (Glyph @ Jan 29 2011, 02:07 PM) *
Normally, the GM can make the character "pay" for used 'ware by making it less reliable, but if a GM is permissive to allow all of this rules-bending, he isn't likely to be a hardass about enforcing things like that.

You might be thinking about the Buggy Ware quality.
Used costs more essence; that's the tradeoff.

Capacity just circumvents that at the cost of having chrome.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 30 2011, 12:16 AM
Post #21

Advocatus Diaboli

He's thinking of the printed suggestion about making used 'ware buggy.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 30 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #22

Runner

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 29 2011, 05:16 PM) *
He's thinking of the printed suggestion about making used 'ware buggy.

This. Arsenal has a similiar suggestion for making used-cars have interesting quirks, as well.

+Quote Post
czarcasm
post Jan 31 2011, 02:46 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 18,697

A quick question -- why should Pushed or neocortical nanites (or an encephalon for that matter) help a technomancer? If I recall correctly, those types of ware boost logic-linked skills. To be sure, the Electronics and Cracking skillgroups normally are logic-linked. But aren't the special technomancer versions linked to resonance instead?

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 31 2011, 03:29 AM
Post #24

Runner

QUOTE (czarcasm @ Jan 30 2011, 07:46 PM) *
But aren't the special technomancer versions linked to resonance instead?

Good questions!

Linked and dice pools are completely seperate things!

Hacking, for example, is a Logic-Linked Skill.

To hack a node, you roll Hacking+Exploit.

It doesn't matter where exploit comes from(it can be an AI inherent program, a cf, or a regular program), and you don't have to even be rolling Logic as part of the pool!

In short, whats good for the goose is good for the gander, and it doesn't matter if a tm uses the resonance or not. In this case, yes, PuSHeD and cortical nanites add to all logic linked skills. Including threading! Because that uses software, which is linked to logic.

Neither the logic attribute OR the resonance attribute really come into play here.
It also means that, for example, logic-linked nanites don't help with memory tests - because you don't roll a skill. Its an attribute only test,

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 31 2011, 03:54 AM
Post #25

Advocatus Diaboli

Sounds like pretty sneaky sneakiness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Doesn't the technomancer literally use Resonance-linked 'versions' of all those skills? Oh well, might as well try every trick in a charop exercise.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.