Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chemistry and other crafting, Cost?
lowendz113
post Jan 30 2011, 12:06 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,215

So the SR books list how much it costs to buy something. They also list how long it takes to make something. However, They do not list how much it costs to make something.

How do you guys handle this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 30 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

It's harder to find, but the books do have suggestions for those costs.

Arsenal suggests 10% cost, same Avail for chemicals (drugs, etc.), while SR4A suggests 50% cost for building with Hardware (and other skills, possibly). Appropriate tools are required, and 'build' means 'assemble', not 'fabricate/design'. Not everything is possible to be player-built (esp. for new designs), so the GM should decide.

+Quote Post
lowendz113
post Jan 30 2011, 01:46 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 17,215

Ah, I never even noticed those. Do you by chance know where abouts they are?

Designing, as near as I can tell, seems to be free. It just takes more time. Obviously the GM has the last say in what can or cannot be made though.

Thanks for your help.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 30 2011, 02:00 AM
Post #4

Advocatus Diaboli

Well, designing isn't really possible, as far as the rules are concerned. This is usually appropriate, because of the time, expertise, and resources real designs should require. SR4A 'Using Build/Repair' does give an example of *jury-rigging* things (the example is something simple, a flashlight?). Arsenal does talk about about to *acquire* designs.

Chemical costs/rules are in Arsenal under 'Using Chemistry'; Hardware is in SR4A under 'Using Hardware'.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Jan 30 2011, 06:18 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

It lists a flashlight and a shiv, because the poor guy is in a building in the barrens whose basement has devil rats. And yeah, basically what Yerameyahu said.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Jan 30 2011, 07:29 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

The dose-scaling from Arsenal is really bad.

50 doses at a time from a 100,000¥ facility? I mean, I know that sort of equipment is really expensive, old Walter White could make a lot more than 50 hits of crank in a couple day's time.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 30 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jan 30 2011, 12:29 AM) *
The dose-scaling from Arsenal is really bad.

50 doses at a time from a 100,000¥ facility? I mean, I know that sort of equipment is really expensive, old Walter White could make a lot more than 50 hits of crank in a couple day's time.

A facility is not run by a single person though. I have always interpreted it as 50 Doese PER PERSON working on the project (and if I remember correctly, the roll for Chemicals is in Hours, so you could, in theory, actually make much, much more in a 24 hour period than 50 Doses))... So the Question becomes, how many people can work in a facility? It is arbitrary, to be sure, but manufacturing is always going to be arbitrary in Shadowrun, because it is not designed to emulate that aspect of reality.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 30 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

Depends on the drug, of course. Maybe they really are that hard to make? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) 99.9% of Using Chemistry is abusive anyway, so it's not a high priority to model manufacturing mechanics, I'd think.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 30 2011, 04:36 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 30 2011, 08:47 AM) *
Depends on the drug, of course. Maybe they really are that hard to make? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) 99.9% of Using Chemistry is abusive anyway, so it's not a high priority to model manufacturing mechanics, I'd think.

Indeed... not a high priority...

+Quote Post
Irion
post Jan 31 2011, 03:07 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 18,860

Well, I guess you can not give the prices in general.
Building a flash light might come out a top of the cost of buying one.

Cooking some drugs might come out to be just 10% of the base cost or even less.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 31 2011, 03:11 AM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

Well, drugs are definitely (if arbitrarily) 10%.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 31 2011, 03:31 AM
Post #12

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 30 2011, 08:11 PM) *
Well, drugs are definitely (if arbitrarily) 10%.

Yep, but I would be willing to bet that that is even too much for some drugs. Custom tailored designer drugs, however, should cost a lot more than 10% for materials in my opinion... But that is just me... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 31 2011, 03:51 AM
Post #13

Advocatus Diaboli

Indeed. It's arbitrary, inflexible, and not really useful. *shrug*. As the book says, you shouldn't use the rules for anything but casual play. No drug factories.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 31 2011, 02:03 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 30 2011, 08:51 PM) *
Indeed. It's arbitrary, inflexible, and not really useful. *shrug*. As the book says, you shouldn't use the rules for anything but casual play. No drug factories.

Agreed... WE mostly use the rules for basement explosives... not much use for rcreating the SOTA stuff in my opinion...

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Jan 31 2011, 03:46 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

I helped a guy figure out that if he produces P4MO with some Renraku Manservants with autosofts using teamwork you can produce over a million (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) every couple days. And it's perfectly legal.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 31 2011, 04:01 PM
Post #16

Advocatus Diaboli

Well, you mean that it fits within the rules… except for the one that specifically says, 'don't let anyone abuse these simple rules'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Jan 31 2011, 08:11 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

No, I meant that P4MO is a "-" availability item, so it is easy to find and has no laws preventing its use in the UCAS. It is street-legal. Other people I know keep wanting to mass-produce K-10 because it's 900 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) a pop, but P4MO is 2k each and street legal.

+Quote Post
WhiskeyJohnny
post Jan 31 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,155

So I've got a question related to cooking up some medicine, namely, the medicines necessary to keep a Cyberzombie kickin'. The only cost I could find listed for them was (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) 2000 per month, so how would I extrapolate that out to the cost of materials? Assume I've got a MicroFac to play chemist with.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Jan 31 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

Those are highly specialized medicines known only by a select few.

Even if you could make it without a facility, you wouldn't know what the combination/dosage was.

+Quote Post
WhiskeyJohnny
post Jan 31 2011, 08:45 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (sabs @ Jan 31 2011, 01:38 PM) *
Those are highly specialized medicines known only by a select few.

Even if you could make it without a facility, you wouldn't know what the combination/dosage was.

A MicroFac counts as a facility. What level of chemistry would be needed to know how to make them, do you think? The character in question was a cyberlogician researcher type, so he's certainly got the capacity to learn them.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Jan 31 2011, 09:01 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner

If I was going to let you do such a ridiculous thing?

chemistry of 5, with a specific knowledge skill: Cybermancy medicines of at least a 3 maybe 4.

I'd make you build the formula, and everytime you had issues with aquiring some of the base ingredients, I'd make you re-do the formula.

Then I'd do an extended test, logic+chemistry threshold of say 24, interval of 1 week.
If you ever roll an interval with 0 successes you have to start over. A glitch means some weird error crops up in the formula, a crit glitch the stuff is actually toxic/dangerous.

Even then, I feel dirty having made it so easy.

The availability on some of the base ingredients would be through the roof. Some of it, might only be available through raiding Shadow Clinics, and specialty Corps that specialize in Cybermancy.

+Quote Post
WhiskeyJohnny
post Jan 31 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (sabs @ Jan 31 2011, 02:01 PM) *
If I was going to let you do such a ridiculous thing?

chemistry of 5, with a specific knowledge skill: Cybermancy medicines of at least a 3 maybe 4.

I'd make you build the formula, and everytime you had issues with aquiring some of the base ingredients, I'd make you re-do the formula.

Then I'd do an extended test, logic+chemistry threshold of say 24, interval of 1 week.
If you ever roll an interval with 0 successes you have to start over. A glitch means some weird error crops up in the formula, a crit glitch the stuff is actually toxic/dangerous.

Even then, I feel dirty having made it so easy.

The availability on some of the base ingredients would be through the roof. Some of it, might only be available through raiding Shadow Clinics, and specialty Corps that specialize in Cybermancy.

Well, my GM is going to let me do such a ridiculous thing, so thanks for the help! Though I'm not sure about the interval of 1 week part - I mean, the corps have to be able to make this stuff too, to keep their CZs running. Anyway, sorry to threadjack, and thanks for the help.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 31 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #23

Advocatus Diaboli

Corps are global companies, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Anyway, that's definitely a situation for 'GM eyeball it so it's hard enough', and the 10% cost suggestion doesn't really apply to anything *really* exotic, like this. I mean, either he'll let you get the drugs or not; it's arbitrary and up to him. After that, it's just negotiation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
sabs
post Jan 31 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner

Corps have facilities, and engineers, scientists, etc doing teamwork tests on this stuff.

The corps spend months/years doing research to develop the formula.
Then a team of engineers spend months to a couple of years upscaling the manufacturing so they can make the stuff.
Then, they feed a specific formula into their facility and out pops the right stuff.
But they do big batches, they have quality control on the ingredients, etc.

You're in a completely different ball park.

+Quote Post
Kid Chameleon
post Jan 31 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,315

Well, extrapolating from my real world chemistry knowledge:

Anything that is generically available or comes with a 'store brand' competitor will be close to cost to purchase, maybe save 10%, maybe cost an extra 10%.

Anything that has a patent on it should only cost 10-20% in raw materials. Exclusivity is pricey.

Anything material that is restricted is probably in the realm of 10-50% in raw materials. The heavy the restriction, the higher the mark-up.

Custom made materials are also probably only 10-20% in raw materials, a lot of that cost is for labor, experience and exclusivity.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.