IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can the spell control thought effect spirits?, What about critters?
Mardegun
post Mar 19 2004, 02:53 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 521

My first thought is that control thoughts doesn't work against spirits, but what about when they are materialized? On the other hand I am pretty sure I would allow control thoughts to effect critters, paranormal or otherwise.

Do you guys think it would be possible to create a control spirits thoughts spell?

Here is another question, can someone effected by control thoughts be made to accept a spell that requires voluntary targets? For example, what about using mink link on someone who thoughts are controlled? This combo would allow the mage to control the person from a distance, but still have the advantage being present when the target resists
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 19 2004, 03:02 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Isn't there a control animal spell?

As for spirits, I vote a definitive no. They don't have minds to control. Although it could be argued that a mana spell affects mana creatures, I just think spirits are fundamentally different and cannot be mind controlled. That's my opinion, anyway.

Using control to make voluntary: touchy... I'd go with no if the victim would normally resist the spell. If he's involuntary, but doesn't really care, then maybe.

+Quote Post
Neon Tiger
post Mar 19 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,497

I'd say yes to making someone a willing target for spells with Control Thoughts.

I wish not to add another thread to boards, so I'll also ask about the Control type spells. Could you use Control Thoughts/Actions on someone and then make them kill themselves? Slitting wrists or shooting themselves to head with a pistol?

And does someone who is being controlled by Control Actions use their own skills or the casters skills?

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Mar 19 2004, 03:46 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

Of course Control Thoughts would work on a spirit. They've been given a mind and the ability to think by their conjurer, so it can be manipulated as well as any other aspect of a spirit can. The only problem is that it would only work on the plane that the spell was cast, so if you use it on a materialized spirit, it will only control them for as long as you keep them materialized. The moment they go astral, poof goes the spell.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 19 2004, 05:51 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
The only problem is that it would only work on the plane that the spell was cast, so if you use it on a materialized spirit, it will only control them for as long as you keep them materialized. The moment they go astral, poof goes the spell.

Saying that spells are cast only on one plane or another is a sketchy interpretation that is never mentioned in the books. It also leads to some bizarre situations.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Mar 19 2004, 05:56 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Saying that spells are cast only on one plane or another is a sketchy interpretation that is never mentioned in the books.

It's the very first sentence of the very first paragraph on the rules for Spell Targeting in the core rules on page 181. I don't see how that makes it a sketchy interpretation or one that's never mentioned in the books.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 19 2004, 06:05 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

That's not what it says at all, but I have no desire to drag out this old debate.

Mardegun, just keep in mind that there are several viewpoints to choose from. Not everyone agrees on the finer points of magic.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Mar 19 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Uhm, okay. Whatever.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 19 2004, 06:30 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Welcome back, btw :P

+Quote Post
Mardegun
post Mar 19 2004, 07:29 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Could a mage use control thoughts to have someone kill themselves? why not? The person would get to resist, but in the end I doubt they would have any chance.

[edit] Zazen, thanks. It looks like people opinion really do vary on this subject. [/edit]

+Quote Post
Sunday_Gamer
post Mar 19 2004, 07:38 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,133

Ok I'll bite and make your hair go grey... you know that "old debate" you don't wanna drag back out? I'm intrigued!!

Wanna cast a spell on someone in the physical world, you need to be in the physical world as well. Wanna cast a spell on something astral, you need to be astral.

Where's the confusion?

Kong

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Mar 19 2004, 07:42 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

I think there's something in the official FAQ about it affecting critters fine. I think it would definately work on spirits, and as its a mana spell I think it would follow them to astral space just like any other sustained spell goes with an astrally projecting mage, whether he cast it himself or not. I'll check the spell targetting rules but I get the feeling I don't wanna go there.

I think you could command them to accept a spell as well, no trouble. That's how the Queen Bug spirits get willing volunteers - they use compulsion to make them want it (sorry, that's a bit of 1st and 2nd ed creeping in there. Voluntary subjects usually resulted in Good Merges, which is why they had the whole cult thing going on, the victims wanted it. I digress).

I beleive the subject of your last question is actually covered in the spell description. Is it something the subject would be strongly opposed to? Then they get another resistance check at that point, I think.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 19 2004, 07:45 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

If you need line of sight, and the target goes fully astral, you need to be astrally percieving before that happens or the spell link is broken.

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Mar 19 2004, 07:51 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

only for the actual casting, surely? Nowhere under spell sustaining does it say you have to maintain line of sight. I suspect this is what the 'old debate' was. It doesn't mention this specific circumstance and I don't think there's a definitive answer. I'm going to agree to disagree as well.

+Quote Post
Dax
post Mar 19 2004, 07:58 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,013

QUOTE (Mardegun)
Could a mage use control thoughts to have someone kill themselves? why not? The person would get to resist, but in the end I doubt they would have any chance.

[edit] Zazen, thanks. It looks like people opinion really do vary on this subject. [/edit]

I run those kind of situations the same way I run Charm magic in D&D. Low force Control Thoughts Spells (like anywhere within the range of 1-5) can not be used to force someone to kill themselves, period. High Force Control THoughts Spells (in the range of 6 and up) can be used to give that command to the subject, but then the subject gets to make an immediate resistance test with a +1 bonus to whatever they roll.

Without that, Control Thoughts and other such spells become far too powerful in my opinion. A general rule of thumb to use, is that if the actions are life threatening or generally harmful to the person being controlled, they get to make a new resistance test.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Mar 19 2004, 08:02 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Spells aren't dual-natured or capable of astrally projecting or materializing. Sustained or not, a spell cast on the material world only affects the material world, while a spell cast on the astral plane only affects the astral plane. I don't know of anything in the rules that either suggests otherwise or demonstrates anything to the contrary. Even dual-natured characters existing simultaneously on both planes have to choose one plane or the other when casting a spell.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 19 2004, 08:41 PM
Post #17

Runner

QUOTE (spotlite @ Mar 19 2004, 02:51 PM)
Nowhere under spell sustaining does it say you have to maintain line of sight.

Great, now I need to try to find out if that was a an earlier edition rule or just a bad misreading from those early games.

+Quote Post
Sunday_Gamer
post Mar 19 2004, 08:46 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Gotta say, I'm with Clockwork here... where is the confusion?

Kong

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 19 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #19

Runner

There is some related to the spell "mana static" according to some gamers.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Mar 19 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Yes, I'd say that control thoughts can affect spirits. If one combat spell can affect both spirits and humans then why not control manipulations?

This has come-up in the past in my games, and I said it did work. I did, however, also rule that the spirit's master could become aware through the magical bond (given a successful perception test against an arbitrary target number) but that's another matter entierly.

+Quote Post
Mardegun
post Mar 20 2004, 03:58 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
Spells aren't dual-natured ...

Not true, astral barriers are dual, because they effect both astral and physical spells.

Now in regards to whether control thoughts would work on a spirit that materialize or not, I would say the spell still works. After all the conscious of the entity hasn't changed.

So do most people agree that control thoughts combine with mink link would work?

+Quote Post
Sunday_Gamer
post Mar 20 2004, 04:57 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Well for starters: Astral barriers are NOT dual. You cannot cast it in physical space as it has no effect. To quote p 198 of the main book, last paragraph of the spell description:

Astral barrier functions the same as Physical barrier, except on the astral plane. Astral barrier is not a dual barrier and does not work on the physical plane.

Mana static creates a background count and is therefore the exception that proves the rule. =) Background counts have their own rules and the spell creates a background count. It is as far as I know, the ONLY spell that is cast on the physical plane and has it's effects felt in astral space.

Other spells have their own problems. Consider Astral armor or astral barrier. No provisions were made for the fact that since they can only be cast in astral space, their drain is effectively physical unless one is dual, since as we know, all spells cast while projecting have physical drain. So the best bet is to use The Sight and cast those spells, allowing you the luxury of standard drain.

So what else is confusing? Hit me!

Kong

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 20 2004, 06:01 AM
Post #23

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Sunday_Gamer)
So what else is confusing? Hit me!

Kong

Punches Sunday Gamer.

You did ask for it. :D

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Mar 20 2004, 10:41 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

I don't think mindlink would really allow the target to be mage to be 'present'... I'm sure CT could be used to make someone accept a spell, but allowing the mage to be effectively 'present' depends how I'm feeling that day.

+Quote Post
Darkest Angel
post Mar 20 2004, 10:57 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,062

Spell wall and spell shield, there's your other spells that have an effect on both planes at once.

The way I see it is, it's magic, if it's meant to have effect 'a' it has effect 'a', doesn't matter what plane your on. If you cast control thoughts on a spirit, you keep it cast as long as you sustain it, same as any other spell. LOS never comes into it with other sustained spells, why should it make a difference between planes? Especially when you can cast a spell into a sustaining focus, project yourself and take said focus and spell with you, the only stipulation on whether the spell had an effect or not would depend on whether it was a mana or physical spell, physical spells by their nature don't have any effect on the astral. NB no effect is not the same as cannot be cast/sustained or otherwise exist.

As for control thoughts being used to induce suicide/put the target in danger: The rules are in the book, you get another resistance test iirc it's easier if the target is out of LOS.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 08:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.