IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quick (possibly stupid) question, But probably best I get it out of the way before building a 'runne
ShadowFighter88
post Feb 1 2011, 12:33 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,081

The Geas negative quality in Street Magic, can Adepts take it? It's just that the description makes it seem like it's meant more for spellslingers.

Reason is I've been planning out a gunslinging adept and thought it might be interesting to have him start a game with a talisman geas, not due to his magic failing him, but that it was always kind of unstable (mechanically, it'd be the same as a broken geas, just that that's how his powers are normally).

I assume a silver medallion with a pair of inset rubies would do for an (albeit expensive) talisman?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Feb 1 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #2

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Yes, any Awakened character can take Geasa as a Negative Quality during Chargen. In the description to the Quality it actually speaks to how it works for Adepts (minus 1 PP)

Note: I should be clear that the Negative Quality is different from the "Tweaking the Rules" geasa and adepts.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Feb 1 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #3

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

Well, the text refers to "Awakened", so yes, I believe Adepts qualify.
And yes, judging by the fact that rings are used as an example of fetishes, and the rules for creating talismans and fetishes are the same and in the same paragraph, I'd say that yes, a silver medallion with a pair of inset rubies would do for a talisman.

+Quote Post
ShadowFighter88
post Feb 1 2011, 12:59 AM
Post #4

Target

Thanks, I thought it was for adepts but wasn't sure. And I guess I skimmed over that loss of a power point bit. Small pain but I think I can work around it.

I was asking about the talisman composition since the Geas quality's description mentions that it needs three distinct characteristics describing it. Would the third have to be another material used in making it (say a precious metal for the chain?) or could it just be having the medallion shaped like an animal head?

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Feb 1 2011, 01:02 AM
Post #5

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

Frankly, you're better off asking your GM here.

+Quote Post
ShadowFighter88
post Feb 1 2011, 01:10 AM
Post #6

Target

Ahk, thanks. Well it'll be shaped like a wolf's head anyway, and if the shape doesn't count then I'll just do something with the chain. The example talisman in the quality's description gets away with a gold chain for the third characteristic.

And even though I'm planning to take the Albino negative quality as well, he's not going to be an expy of Geralt of Rivia (probably won't be able to wield a sword to save his life, for one and his snarkiness'll be less "angered anti-hero" and more "Cyberpunk Blackadder"). I will make him a fan of the books, though, just for the hell of it and to explain where the idea for his talisman's design came from.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.