Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Disadvantages you'd like to see as a GM
sunnyside
post Feb 4 2011, 05:34 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,502

I think most of us have had the experience where somebody either succedded (or at least tried) get all sorts of extra advantages or points/whatever for being alergic to camel hair or whatever.

Now I'm sure there have been plenty of threads on how disadvantages can be done wrong, but I'm wondering about what might be fun. More specifically I'm wondering if it might be OK/fun to have disadvantages that sort of break the fourth wall.

i.e.

plot hook whore

Records GM exposition and sprinkles it in during sessions

Once per session GM compulsion
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ShadowFighter88
post Feb 4 2011, 05:42 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 21,081

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Feb 4 2011, 03:34 PM) *
More specifically I'm wondering if it might be OK/fun to have disadvantages that sort of break the fourth wall.

Medium Awareness. Or for a potential fan-nickname "Deadpool Syndrome".

EDIT: Gameplay-wise it'd just make everyone think he's crazy. Kind of like Red Mage in 8-bit Theater.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 4 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #3

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Extra munchkin
Plot hook teflon
You can't touch me
Force majeure

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Feb 4 2011, 01:24 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 4 2011, 05:06 AM) *
Extra munchkin

How does that work? As an advantage where the GM agrees not to persecute you for abusing possession rules or something?

+Quote Post
Makki
post Feb 4 2011, 01:46 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

Role Player. Character my not gain karma for good RP, as the player merely plays for rolling dice.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Feb 4 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

querulous paranoia
Must argue every little detail of the GM's narration. Failure to do so or losing the discussion results in an immediate -2 modifier to all tests until the querulant can make up for his failure.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 4 2011, 02:17 PM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Feb 4 2011, 09:24 PM) *
How does that work? As an advantage where the GM agrees not to persecute you for abusing possession rules or something?

No, as a Disadvantage where the GM agrees to allow you to abuse more rules than you ask for.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Feb 4 2011, 02:32 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 4 2011, 10:06 AM) *
Force majeure

Force du Jour - -3 to all Social Tests if character possesses a WEPON weapon.
"If all you have is a hammer..."

+Quote Post
Sixgun_Sage
post Feb 4 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,783

Another one for Poor Self Control....

Lecher. And no, I do not feel I need to spell that out any more.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Feb 4 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #10

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Rocks Fall: Once per session, one of your cunning death traps automatically fails.

And while not a disadvantage, how about this as a skill:

Throwing (Dinner Tables)

+Quote Post
ShadowFighter88
post Feb 4 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 21,081

QUOTE (Cain @ Feb 5 2011, 06:51 AM) *
Throwing (Dinner Tables)

Why not? Arsenal's already got Metahuman Body as an Improvised Melee Weapon.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 4 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (ShadowFighter88 @ Feb 4 2011, 05:08 PM) *
Why not? Arsenal's already got Metahuman Body as an Improvised Melee Weapon.

Two of my group's favorite NPCs are built off of this fact.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Feb 4 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Cain @ Feb 4 2011, 09:51 PM) *
Throwing (Dinner Tables)

Time Penalty: As a special interrupt action the GM may at any time take a Times/NYT/Zeit/Times of India/..., roll it up, and whack an annoying player with it.

+Quote Post
Inncubi
post Feb 4 2011, 11:34 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,626

Things I'd like to see as a GM would be:

A hacker that was hit by psychotropic IC. Nothing crippling, but relevant in some situations, where he enjoys the flaw as well.

A mage with codeslinger (This isn't a disadvantage? Ask a munchkin how many BP's are being wasted in such a build. Analytical mind works as well for the BP conscious)

A pacifist rigger (Drones are armed with narcoject, if that)

An alcoholic samurai (his cyberliver purifies all of the alcohol: he only gets the taste of it nowadays)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 4 2011, 11:35 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

I'd like to see a GM as a GM. I've been wanting to PLAY since '92.

+Quote Post
Inncubi
post Feb 4 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 4 2011, 06:35 PM) *

Man... That is sad.

And I know what you mean. Same thing happens to me... wait, no, sometimes I get to play... With horribly bad GM's.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Feb 4 2011, 11:49 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 4 2011, 05:35 PM) *

Same sentiment but I've only been GMing since... 2002. I recently started playing in a Pathfinder (bleh) game just because I want to play so badly.

I'm tired of seeing Spirit Bane (Watcher). Or more correctly, I'm tired of banning Spirit Bane (Watcher). I've seen a good gamut of well-roleplayed neg. qual.s, including addictions, phobias, Amnesia (whole group of full amnesiacs shipwrecked on an island), and some others that I can't remember off the top of my head. My group's pretty good at it.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 4 2011, 11:58 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

What's wrong with Spirit Bane: Watcher? Just makes them extra vigilant to point out the PC, and more likely to sniff them out.

+Quote Post
Inncubi
post Feb 5 2011, 12:05 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 4 2011, 06:58 PM) *
What's wrong with Spirit Bane: Watcher? Just makes them extra vigilant to point out the PC, and more likely to sniff them out.

Actually I'd love to see someone pick Spirit Bane: Watcher...
Watchers are by far the most common spirit there is. Every wiz kid, every burn-out, every mage can summon them and use them for day to day work. They are legal to summon without any permit (Is it SR2 or 3 that said that every force 4 and higher spirits required a permit to be legally summoned? Dunno, in any case I do offer the caveat: my capmaign makes that assumption), and thus think of the chances you have to have fun with such a disadvantange. Maybe not during runs, but every day, at some point a bored watcher manifests and starts calling you names, or just bothers you...

Awesome. Simply awesome.

+Quote Post
onlyghostdancesw...
post Feb 5 2011, 01:56 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,844

I personally rejoice when my players (especially the nonmages) take spirit bane watcher spirits. Nothing like not being able to SEE anything because of all the watcher spirits mobbing you, attempting to poke or harrass you etc when you are trying to snipe someone. Better yet is when the watcher spirits go and help the enemy by pointing you out (by complaining about the absolute jerk or asshole sitting over there in the brush undercover...

Spirit bane watcher spirit is always allowed in my game because it can be, though not always is, the most deadly character negative you can have. Really bad for pretty much any character to take. My particular munchkin found that out the hard way.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Feb 5 2011, 01:57 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Inncubi @ Feb 4 2011, 06:34 PM) *
A mage with codeslinger (This isn't a disadvantage? Ask a munchkin how many BP's are being wasted in such a build. Analytical mind works as well for the BP conscious)

You know, I think there's a great idea in there. Have some sort of "crappy build" disadvantage. Maybe something where you show your GM the character sheet for a far from munchkin build, and the GM grants back 25% of the what they feel are crappily/flavorfully spent points in the form of a disadvantage. Just a fun way to encourage a little more variety in characters.

An alcoholic samurai (his cyberliver purifies all of the alcohol: he only gets the taste of it nowadays)

I like keeping players greedy. Something like this could give them BPs up front, at the cost of nuyen every game session. Maybe they'd get Gaesa like penalties if they're too broke or otherwise cut off. Any expensive hobby could do.

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 4 2011, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE (Inncubi @ Feb 4 2011, 06:46 PM) *
And I know what you mean. Same thing happens to me... wait, no, sometimes I get to play... With horribly bad GM's.

I'm in with inncubi. I want to be a player, but than after a session or two I generally remember why I like being the GM.

+Quote Post
Omenowl
post Feb 5 2011, 02:05 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,167

Any negative quality that gives plot hooks and gives a reason for a character to go on a run. It makes it awfully hard to turn down a bad run if you need cash or the Johnson has information you want. Also players at a certain point should be making their own runs and I just create adventure of their choosing.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 5 2011, 03:23 AM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Actually, another reason that "Spirit Bane: Watcher" can be bad is that, against Magically Poor targets, Watchers make a GREAT Tac-Net that can't be hacked. The spirit(s) bounces from person to person transmitting messages and information at the speed of Spirits.

If you have the bane, however, well... Remember "The Telephone Game" from Grade School?

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Feb 5 2011, 02:48 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (ShadowFighter88 @ Feb 4 2011, 05:42 AM) *
Medium Awareness. Or for a potential fan-nickname "Deadpool Syndrome".

EDIT: Gameplay-wise it'd just make everyone think he's crazy. Kind of like Red Mage in 8-bit Theater.

I have a character in an EP game (A Trip to Renewal, in the Pbp forum) who has schizophrenic delusions which make him think he's a character in a role-playing game. He spaced a character because the other player had to leave the game and blamed in on a a critical failure on a perception roll. All IC. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Feb 5 2011, 07:15 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Unrelated to the fourth wall thing, but I've long thought that it's a bit odd that there isn't a Roger Murtaugh Memorial "I'm Too Old For This Drek" flaw of some sort. Nothing major, mind you, just a tidy li'l flaw that demonstrates how trading blows with the Triads in pitched rooftop firefights doesn't feel any easier once you're pushing 50. After all, as far as I know, Infirm and Progeria are the only qualities that specifically mention aging as a rationale for their effects, but well, those flaws are just plain vicious and don't really fit what my players have been looking for when they asked about building middle aged runners. Personally, I just houseruled one in by using the rules for the Biosystem Overstress flaw sans the bioware requirement.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:13 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.