Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blood Spatter and You, Scrub Scrub Scrub Scrub
hyzmarca
post Feb 6 2011, 03:26 AM
Post #1

Midnight Toker

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,456

Funny thing about fluids, blood in particular, is that they tend to strap everywhere when an open container (such as your bleeding head) is vigorously moved. And lets not even get into what happens when you're bludgeoning someone. You'd be amazed where the red stuff lands.

Close range fights are not clean affairs. It is extremely difficult to come out of one without blood all over you, and the walls, and the ceiling. It's one thing a lot of games gloss over, and perhaps for good reason. Your kung-fu master probably isn't going to punch someone out without getting blood on his clothes and your knife adept is going to be absolutely covered in gore and viscera after a major fight. When running around with holes in your body you'll be leaving blood in the oddest of places. When running past fallen guards you'll probably step in their congealing blood and leave tracks that anyone could follow.

Placing emphasis on exactly how messy bleeding wounds can be in real life does have the potential to make the players lose their lunches. Worse, it can bog down the game with cleaning efforts or make a getaway impossible (how many PCs plan to change clothes in the middle of a run?).

On the other hand, mess makes things more real. If dead enemies guards away like video game enemies, then they are video game enemies and should be treated as such. If you have to walk through a expanding pool of arterial blood to get to your objective then then they're more real, more human, their deaths matter just a little bit more to the player, if for no other reason than for being damned inconvenient. It changes the thought processes that go into playing the game and cold blooded murder becomes less acceptable, either because the PCs don't want to deal with the cleanup or because the players don't want to hear your stomach-turning descriptions of their wanton violence.

So, how do the GMs here deal with the mess that comes with fucking a person up, or being fucked up yourself?To you give lavish descriptions of walls and covered with fine droplets of the red stuff or do you just gloss it over?

And more importantly, does anyone have any recommendations for removing blood from a stucco ceiling? Any advice would be appreciated.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sephiroth
post Feb 6 2011, 03:29 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 18,539

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 5 2011, 11:26 PM) *
And more importantly, does anyone have any recommendations for removing blood from a stucco ceiling? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sterilize spell for the win.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Feb 6 2011, 03:32 AM
Post #3

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Feb 5 2011, 10:29 PM) *
Sterilize spell for the win.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to magic, due to the fact that it doesn't exist in real life.

Also, mink blanket. I think I might have to dryclean that.

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Feb 6 2011, 03:34 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 19,228

Also C-Squared loaded grenades.
Alternatively, grenades loaded with white paint. Mythbusters did it, and so did Mr Bean (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

RL use absorbent, mostly wet material. Pat, don't streak. Pat dry as well. Failing that, bleach might help, but it tends to remain visible. Best bet tends to be just painting over it. Blood is tough. Even when painted over, you can often still get it to show.
Ah. Fur? Don't get it too wet. Use lather from a cleaning agent instead of the agent directly, perhaps with a bit of ammonia if it's white or non-dyed. Dry cleaning would be a plan.
Either way, very much a case of YMMV. Good luck with it ^^

+Quote Post
Game2BHappy
post Feb 6 2011, 03:38 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,355

You mean you aren't wearing the latest in graphene film fashion?
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-02-tuning-graphene.html
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 6 2011, 04:41 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Blood does get everywhere. My dad got a meat slicer (you can see where THIS is going) and managed to drop the blade and either tried to catch it or somehow cut himself picking it up (after putting a 1.5 inch long, .5 inch deep hole in the terracotta tile floor). A day later we discovered the blood splatter...on the ceiling.

+Quote Post
WhiskeyJohnny
post Feb 6 2011, 05:02 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,155

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 5 2011, 08:26 PM) *
First Part

I like it when there is a high level of description, but your mileage may vary. It depends largely on the tone of the game, I think - a darker, grittier game (like, say, that Shadowrun Noire game that someone here is running) benefits more from this sort of detail than a pink mohawk game (not to say you can't do both, simultaneously).

QUOTE ('second part')

To echo what was said before, patting the bloodstains with a wet sponge (perhaps wet with salt-water, that may help) and then patting the area dry might have some effect. Stuccoing over it, if possible, will have the best effect (short of redoing the entire ceiling). Also, don't get blood on your stucco ceiling in the first place/in the future.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 6 2011, 05:21 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

It hasn't come up in my game very often, but I can get quite graphic in exposition of blood splatter and such. Especially if people are using Hollowpoint+ rounds (You know: Little hole in the front, 10-pin bowling ball-sized in the back?).

For 'Runners that leave their own blood behind, after using the slap patches to cover and stop the bleeding, using some mixed up post-usage blood from the local Street Doc, combined with C-Cubed would be a good way to give CSI conniption fits as they find multiple DNA types in the blood splatter. Make sure you get all the spots. (This tip brought to you by the Vice Sourcebook, BTW.).

+Quote Post
ShadowFighter88
post Feb 6 2011, 05:46 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 21,081

I haven't played Shadowrun, but any other game that I have played where the subject of combat mess comes up, I'd have to say it depends on the tone of the game. Dark and gritty, go for it; have one of the characters slip in a pool of blood and accidentally catch the fire alarm (and I'm sure that's inspired one or two DMs who's players have the Unlucky trait). If you're not going for ultra-realism, then just gloss it over; assume that when the characters are going past a murdered guard that they watch where they step if you address it at all.

Also, I can't help but imagine that opening post being read out by Yatzee; it sounds almost exactly like something he'd use in one of his reviews.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Feb 6 2011, 05:58 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

We tried really hard to avoid gunfights and generally killing people for this reason (among others). If you manage to avoid actual use of violence it seriously reduces the chance of leaving you DNA everywhere. The few times we did get in a fight unexpectedly we spent some time after to use sterilize to get our DNA out of there, didn't worry too much about the other guys blood as we had plenty of time to deal with that.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Feb 6 2011, 06:01 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 5 2011, 10:26 PM) *
Funny thing about fluids, blood in particular, is that they tend to strap everywhere when an open container (such as your bleeding head) is vigorously moved. And lets not even get into what happens when you're bludgeoning someone. You'd be amazed where the red stuff lands.

Close range fights are not clean affairs. It is extremely difficult to come out of one without blood all over you, and the walls, and the ceiling. It's one thing a lot of games gloss over, and perhaps for good reason. Your kung-fu master probably isn't going to punch someone out without getting blood on his clothes and your knife adept is going to be absolutely covered in gore and viscera after a major fight. When running around with holes in your body you'll be leaving blood in the oddest of places. When running past fallen guards you'll probably step in their congealing blood and leave tracks that anyone could follow.

Placing emphasis on exactly how messy bleeding wounds can be in real life does have the potential to make the players lose their lunches. Worse, it can bog down the game with cleaning efforts or make a getaway impossible (how many PCs plan to change clothes in the middle of a run?).

On the other hand, mess makes things more real. If dead enemies guards away like video game enemies, then they are video game enemies and should be treated as such. If you have to walk through a expanding pool of arterial blood to get to your objective then then they're more real, more human, their deaths matter just a little bit more to the player, if for no other reason than for being damned inconvenient. It changes the thought processes that go into playing the game and cold blooded murder becomes less acceptable, either because the PCs don't want to deal with the cleanup or because the players don't want to hear your stomach-turning descriptions of their wanton violence.

So, how do the GMs here deal with the mess that comes with fucking a person up, or being fucked up yourself?To you give lavish descriptions of walls and covered with fine droplets of the red stuff or do you just gloss it over?

In real life, killing someone with a knife probably counts as a blood borne pathogen exposure.

Makes you think that meleeing a ghoul shouldn't be considered "safe" in terms of getting ghouled yourself.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 6 2011, 06:02 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Depends, are you wearing a Kevlar Re-enforced Bio-hazard Suit?

+Quote Post
Red-ROM
post Feb 6 2011, 06:19 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,787

I think it's all in the game. A little bit of dramatic flair is great. head coming off, the arc of blood from the bullet hole between the eyes. this is exciting stuff. but describing joe shmoe gurgaling and twitching, or some cop gasping his wife's name in his last breath, might be a downer. Also, player paranoia is absurdly high(rightly so I should add). They will spend the rest of the month cleaning up after themselves instead of getting on with the story

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 6 2011, 06:26 AM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Feb 6 2011, 02:19 AM) *
...or some cop gasping his wife's name in his last breath...

"Only three days 'til retirement... Blarg."

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Feb 6 2011, 07:40 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,693

Every table will have to find the balance between lovingly detailed gore fest and clean, old-style "rise his hand to it's wound and drop" that suits their taste, but some amount of that is IMHO mandatory to create the right flavor for the dark underside of the 2070's the characters work into.

+Quote Post
Sixgun_Sage
post Feb 6 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,783

In my games we go for a mixture of results if the team has the time to deal with things it is usually assumed they avoid stepping in blood, if they are running for the hills with the security thugs at their heels a perception check might be used to make sure they can avoid stepping in the red stuff. In terms of what happens during a fight.... physiology is interesting, when your body is pumped full of adrenaline part of the vascular system gets pinched off causing reduced blood flow to the surface (I can never remember the names) to protect you against bleeding out specifically, cuts to the face still bleed pretty freely since the vital bits are fairly close to the surface but dealing with the body and the other extremities unless a lot of damage is being done (a deep cut, possibly arterial, or a through and through with a good sized round) then the bleeding will tend to be minimal and fairly easy to manage. Playing up the blood does give the game a darker feel, but go to far and it is just silly, you start going in to pink mohawk territory of a sort.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 6 2011, 07:52 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

On the flipside, if you're a wizard with words, you can turn it into a ballet of blood that would make John Woo happy that he's influenced the world.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Feb 6 2011, 09:07 PM
Post #18

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 5 2011, 10:41 PM) *
Blood does get everywhere. My dad got a meat slicer (you can see where THIS is going) and managed to drop the blade and either tried to catch it or somehow cut himself picking it up (after putting a 1.5 inch long, .5 inch deep hole in the terracotta tile floor). A day later we discovered the blood splatter...on the ceiling.

...those blades are surgically sharp.

Used to work at a deli where we had several slicers. We fresh sliced all our meats and cheeses for each sandwich order so the machine got a lot of use and required periodic cleaning thoughout the day. One evening (after pulling a double shift) managed to nick my hand while cleaning the blade. Didn't feel a thing but when I noticed the blood streaming from my hand realised what happened. Took a number of stitches to close up. Never really hurt much afterwards as the cut was so clean.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Feb 6 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #19

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...anyone remember the descriptions in the Critical hit/Miss charts from the old Arduin Grimoire? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Feb 6 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 6 2011, 01:02 AM) *
Depends, are you wearing a Kevlar Re-enforced Bio-hazard Suit?

That's what you'd freaking need!

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Feb 8 2011, 03:16 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

Close combat with ghouls is a Bad Idea, any way you slice it (pun intended). Ghouls are best dealt with using WP/incindiary grenades, napalm, full-auto sniper rifles, and other assorted overkill. Most importantly, all of these things should be used from a DISTANCE.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Feb 8 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

Would this work?

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Feb 8 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Feb 6 2011, 12:01 AM) *
Makes you think that meleeing a ghoul shouldn't be considered "safe" in terms of getting ghouled yourself.

See Stahlsteele's signature. I think it's his - the quote is I know.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 8 2011, 05:10 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Feb 6 2011, 04:07 PM) *
...those blades are surgically sharp.

They are.

And I had a cut like that once, from the serated edge of a hamburger spatula intended for outdoor grill use. I was wiping the counter and smacked my hand into it. Didn't feel it, but I knew I was cut and immediately patched myself up. Hurt like hell later.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Feb 8 2011, 05:13 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

The less it hurts immediately, the sharper the blade, and generally the deeper the cut. Similarly, if you get punched, immediate pain is good. Short to medium lag, medium injury; long lag (stunned and don't feel anything for a while), big injury. Something to do with peripheral nerves and how the brain processes trauma, I think.

On the original topic, the chunky salsa effect is called that for a reason. Grenades in enclosed spaces are MESSY.

On the upside, if a grenade goes off the forensics guys will have a lot of trouble sorting your DNA out from everyone else's ^_^

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:02 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.