Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Metavariants & Racism
Stingray
post Feb 6 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,002

.. for example (from Runner's Companion ) " baseline dwarf consider their metavariants as freaks..."

I am trying to build a PC, elf ex- corporate excutive w/ minor racism streak againts
elven metavariants.

what would be right choice? (concidering how common metavariants are..)

a) Prejudiced(Biased) (elven metavariants) = 5 bp (specific target group)

b) Prejudiced (Biased) (elven metavariants) = 10 bp ( common target group )

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TygerTyger
post Feb 6 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 17,884

That's really a question for your GM, but there is no way, in any game I was running, that you'd qualify for ten points based on a slight racism toward a group of elves that you are very likely never going to encounter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Short answer, 5 points - they aren't a common group.

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Feb 6 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

ok..
TY for your opinion.

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Feb 6 2011, 03:30 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 19,228

Elven variants are fairly to extremely rare by definition. Except for dryads, they're all specific to very small parts of the world (South African savannah, Scandinavia, Amazonian Jungle) and will rarely, if ever be found outside their place of origin. Dryads are uncommon, with slightly higher rates occuring in non-urban environments.

Also, taking the biased level of prejudice against a group that's rarer than trolls tends to come down to taking Incompetence (Pilot Aerospace) in most cases. That's just an IMHO though.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 6 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

5BP *if* that.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 6 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

5 BP and one hell of a good back story as to why the feelings are there in the first place.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Feb 6 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Maybe he hates the night ones because they are furries; hates the xapiri thepe because they have moldy patches growing on them; hates the wakyambi because he hates the Lakers, therefore hates Miko Nabuto, therefore hates all wakyambi; and hates dryads because he's not the prettiest any more?

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Feb 7 2011, 01:51 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (Mardrax @ Feb 6 2011, 04:30 PM) *
Elven variants are fairly to extremely rare by definition. Except for dryads, they're all specific to very small parts of the world (South African savannah, Scandinavia, Amazonian Jungle) and will rarely, if ever be found outside their place of origin. Dryads are uncommon, with slightly higher rates occuring in non-urban environments.

Night Ones are relatively common in Europe, though.
Depending on the campaign setting, i'd let it fly, although there's metavariants that are much more common targets for prejudice (for example, all dwarven variants, giants and hobgoblins are all mentioned to face serious issues in this regard).

I mean, seriously, RC lists "lawyers" as an example of a rare target group. If it gets as specific as this, one can also argue that his character doesn't get along with elven metavariants.

Also, taking the biased level of prejudice against a group that's rarer than trolls tends to come down to taking Incompetence (Pilot Aerospace) in most cases. That's just an IMHO though.

Trolls only make up 1% of the population on average. In opposition to elves, who are the most common metatype after humans and orks.
In many regions, certain ork metavariants are up to 10 times as common as trolls (ogres in Europe, hobgoblins in the middle east).
SR4 has little to do with the "80% humans, 5% of everything else" approach of SR2.

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Feb 7 2011, 02:22 AM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Feb 7 2011, 02:51 AM) *
Night Ones are relatively common in Europe, though.
Depending on the campaign setting, i'd let it fly, although there's metavariants that are much more common targets for prejudice (for example, all dwarven variants, giants and hobgoblins are all mentioned to face serious issues in this regard).

I mean, seriously, RC lists "lawyers" as an example of a rare target group. If it gets as specific as this, one can also argue that his character doesn't get along with elven metavariants.

Trolls only make up 1% of the population on average. In opposition to elves, who are the most common metatype after humans and orks.
In many regions, certain ork metavariants are up to 10 times as common as trolls (ogres in Europe, hobgoblins in the middle east).
SR4 has little to do with the "80% humans, 5% of everything else" approach of SR2.

Point being that trolls are a fairly rare subsection of the population already, like awakened are, and technomancers. A shadowrunner might by virtue of profession run into them more often, but this still doesn't justify a 'common' group in my book. Night ones are not relatively common in Europe, they occur in Europe, mostly in Scandinavia, the vast majority of elves will still be normal elves though. If in any country outside of Scandinavia (Germany and Russia excepted), night ones make up more than 5% of the total elven population, I'd be surprised. And 5% of a population that makes up 30ish% of the main population is still 1,5%. Rare? Yes sir.

It's not about a level of specificity though. If you want to play a character prejudiced against omnisexual Trolls (poor Bubba, he's just misunderstood), by all means go ahead, but if I don't see it coming up in play with much of any probability, and if it does, you're also just slightly biased, so that net effect is pretty much 0, I'm not going to allow you any BP for it. And if you don't see it as a way of getting some BP without consequences, I don't know what you're thinking.

Lawyers, as a rare group, I'd definitely allow. There might not be many, but a shadowrunner has a definite increased chance to run into one at some point and have to deal with him.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 7 2011, 02:40 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

I'm working on an "The Accountant From Hell" as a character concept, and was wondering what group he'd be prejudiced against. I'm thinking the UCAS IRS or Corporate Court's GOD, as opposed to a Metatype, due to the nature of his previous job.

I turned "Erased" from a Positive Quality into a Negative one in his back story if you're wondering why he's Shadowrunning.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Feb 7 2011, 07:36 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

QUOTE (Glyph @ Feb 6 2011, 09:49 PM) *
Maybe he hates the wakyambi because he hates the Lakers, therefore hates Miko Nabuto, therefore hates all wakyambi; and hates dryads because he's not the prettiest any more?

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Feb 7 2011, 11:04 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

Double post

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Feb 7 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Maybe he has some mistaken belief about elven metavariants, like they're all a subset of HMHVV that only affects elves, like the banshee strain, or something. Intolerance rarely, if ever, goes hand in hand with having all the facts straight, after all.

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Feb 7 2011, 11:23 PM
Post #14

Running Target

They're taking our jobs and daughters! They should have stayed in their own country! We should raise the fence, get a moat installed!

Oh wait, we're not talking Azzies are we?

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Feb 7 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Mardrax @ Feb 7 2011, 11:23 PM) *
Oh wait, we're not talking Azzies are we?

No, that's perfectly justifiable.

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Feb 7 2011, 11:57 PM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Feb 8 2011, 12:39 AM) *
No, that's perfectly justifiable.

Of course, it's the more common grounds for discriminiation. I missed "they're bringing down the morals of our society" though.

Question is, why would any of these issues be sparked by a demographic that is extremely rare in most parts of the world?

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Feb 8 2011, 12:20 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Mardrax @ Feb 7 2011, 11:57 PM) *
Of course, it's the more common grounds for discriminiation. I missed "they're bringing down the morals of our society" though.

Tch, lazy.
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Feb 7 2011, 11:57 PM) *
Question is, why would any of these issues be sparked by a demographic that is extremely rare in most parts of the world?

They're rare? Smells like a conspiracy! The wakyambi use their height to steal our lunches and hold it above our heads and say, "It's right here, come get it." The night ones sneak in at night and rearrange our cupboards. The dryads use their glamour to control our minds with their... distract...ing........er.....what?

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Feb 8 2011, 01:11 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 6 2011, 07:40 PM) *
I'm working on an "The Accountant From Hell" as a character concept, and was wondering what group he'd be prejudiced against. I'm thinking the UCAS IRS or Corporate Court's GOD, as opposed to a Metatype, due to the nature of his previous job.

I turned "Erased" from a Positive Quality into a Negative one in his back story if you're wondering why he's Shadowrunning.

This sounds like a hilarious idea, and i would like to hear more.

How bout a prolific, underground Money Launderer? A criminal with connections that just makes doing accounting - and undoing their messes - a pain in The Accountant's ass. Like barry, from burn notice.

You may also want to look at the Obscure positive quality in unwired - with the 'extended tests -1' rule, it can make finding out anything MORE about you even harder.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 8 2011, 01:38 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Feb 7 2011, 09:11 PM) *
This sounds like a hilarious idea, and i would like to hear more.

How bout a prolific, underground Money Launderer? A criminal with connections that just makes doing accounting - and undoing their messes - a pain in The Accountant's ass. Like barry, from burn notice.

You may also want to look at the Obscure positive quality in unwired - with the 'extended tests -1' rule, it can make finding out anything MORE about you even harder.

Oh that is just sick. Taken! I used the Character Generator (Which is a pain in OpenOffice.Org, BTW.) to work on a Mark I of the character.

PM me if you want details.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Feb 8 2011, 11:46 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 8 2011, 01:38 AM) *
Character Generator (Which is a pain in OpenOffice.Org, BTW.)

QFT.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:39 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.