Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Switching" between sustained spells
Machiavelli
post Feb 7 2011, 12:03 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,749

Problem: if you e.g. shapechange into a random animal and you need another form. Could you drop the active spell and simultaniously cast another shapechange without having to go back to human form between the changes?

Problem 2: can you change into an animal (similar algebraic surface) and cast a fashion spell at the same time so that you basically alter into an armored animal?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Feb 7 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

P1: No. Dropping a sustained spell is instantaneous (or is it a Free Action? doesn't matter to my argument either way though) so when you cast the new spell you are either doing so before or after dropping the old one. I don't know if/how stacking shapechange spells works exactly, but in terms of the sustaining modifier if you don't want the -2 to apply to the new casting you will have to be back in human form first.

P2: You can't cast a spell on a target that isn't there/valid yet, so it sounds like another no to me. If the second spell will affect the target irrespective of what the first spell does then both may be cast concurrently, but if the second spell won't work without the first spell's effects then they must be cast consecutively. I'm AFB, but there might be something in the multicasting section that has a rule for determining the order in which multi-cast spells are resolved, in which case you could operate it by that but as GM I wouldn't allow it as I don't see the multicasting action as tailoring the spells to co-ordinate with one-another.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 7 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #3

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

I also don't think these will work. As a GM, I would allow 1), though, as it doesn't really seem outrageous to do so. 2) OTOH might be a bit much.

The Shapechange spell is a bit of a difficult case... as is, it is somewhat useless, if you have to leave all of your equipment behind (like that 100kĄ 32 Karma Power Focus (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). OTOH, it would be a bit too good, if you could take it with you and still use it.

The middleground would be perfect IMHO. You should be able to meld the equipment into your new form (i.e. take it with you and re-equip everything when you transform back), but it should not be usable while in animal form.

In fact, in the past, I have had a character re-design the spell exactly like this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Feb 7 2011, 02:19 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,693

QUOTE (Aerospider @ Feb 7 2011, 01:38 PM) *
P2: You can't cast a spell on a target that isn't there/valid yet, so it sounds like another no to me.

There are two targets : the caster, and it's clothing, so dual-casting may be possible.

Now the tricky part would be to synchronise the alterations to the clothing with the animal transformation so that you end up with an animal wearing custom-fitted armor (and underwear...) rather than entangled in a mess of Kevlar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) . Also, designing on the fly armor adapted to the completely different anatomy and range of motion of the animal form is far from trivial.

Finally don't forget you need to re-Fashion your clothes if you drop the Shapechange spell, or you will end up as a naked human entangled into animal-fitted armor.

Don't you need to score more success than the armor rating of the clothes to alter them, in addition to the object resistance (AFB so it may be a confusion with a rule from an earlier edition or even a house rule) ? This could be hard if dual-casting.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Feb 7 2011, 02:26 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

No, basically the description only says you need one success, every net success enhances the fit, optics, quality of your work. But now that you say it...it should have to beat the OR first. hmmm...

+Quote Post
Seth
post Feb 7 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 19,113

The Shapechange spell is a bit of a difficult case... as is, it is somewhat useless, if you have to leave all of your equipment behind (like that 100kĄ 32 Karma Power Focus ). OTOH, it would be a bit too good, if you could take it with you and still use it.

I agree that as it is, it is not as all-power as it might be. I think as a GM I would oppose characters attempt to keep the power without the limitation. So for instance if you had a variant in which your clothes went with you, I would remove the benefit of buffing physical stats.

I'm just now designing a character based around shapechange, and the equipment carrying limitation is my main problem. I like the problem though: Shapechange is an awesome spell, buffing all physical stats (often by huge amounts) and provides a large amount of utility and stealth. I have designed the foci I carry to be transportable with most forms: my foci are elasticated jewellry (bracelets, dog collars, ankle chains. I also plan on using fashion to manipulate the clothes (probably into panniers /barding / a bundle to be carried) for large forms, and I have physical mask for those embarrassing moments when I arrive naked at the far end. I suspect that in practice I will only be able to transport equipment (other than the foci) around about half the time, so I have had to make sure that the character is useful while naked.

The hardest challenge for me actually is how I carry my shades around: what sort of cool shapeshifter with the fashion spell would turn up without the shades, I mean clothes are optional if you are good enough looking (that's what glamour is for), but shades are essential: this is shadowrun after all. Perhaps I can buy some cool memory alloy ones, which changes shape them self: I'm sure that tiger can wear goggles after all.

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Feb 7 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 19,228

QUOTE (Seth @ Feb 7 2011, 04:14 PM) *
I'm sure that tiger can wear goggles after all.

Cats can.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Feb 7 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (Thanee @ Feb 7 2011, 06:45 AM) *
The Shapechange spell is a bit of a difficult case... as is, it is somewhat useless, if you have to leave all of your equipment behind (like that 100kĄ 32 Karma Power Focus (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). OTOH, it would be a bit too good, if you could take it with you and still use it.

Depends on the form the focus takes. For example, a chain like this would be basically a choker for a bear and possibly a rhinocerous - still worn and touching the skin.

Machiavelli, have you read the really long page discussion we had on Shapechange back like 6 months ago? Many of the questions you're asking were discussed there, I think. I'll try and hunt it down for you.

EDIT: Shapechange Question.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Feb 7 2011, 07:32 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

@Neraph: aaaah, thank you. The only problem is to convice my GM to have the same look on the problem like the people here on the board.^^

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Feb 7 2011, 07:32 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Mardrax @ Feb 7 2011, 04:35 PM) *

Sombody HAD to come with this picture. ^^

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Feb 8 2011, 03:21 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

QUOTE (Mardrax @ Feb 7 2011, 07:35 AM) *

Awesome! I tried to post this thread in the comments, but it threw an error :-/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:51 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.