Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Street Samurai Catalog, The bane of my existence. PLEASE comment
The Grifter
post Mar 20 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,918

Hey everybody, your friendly neighborhood gun-slingin' PhysAd here. Been awhile since I've been on here.

Well, there's something that has been irkin' the frag out of Your's Truly since I've been playing Shadowrun, and it is this. The cover illustration on the front of The STreet Samurai's Catalog. OMFG, it is one of the worst pictures I have ever seen in my LIFE. Had I been shown this picture before learning what Shadowrun is, I would have never played it. That's how bad I hate this picture. Let me explain to you my reasoning, and perhaps you will be able to provide some insight. I'll use a bullet-format to make my reasons clear:

* Where in the frag IS this guy? He's standing on a bare piece of asphalt with fog all around. What is this, Silent Hill? I mean, come on, you're in a fraggin METROPLEX, not Indiana. Where are the lights? the traffic?

*Those ghouls (at least I think they're ghouls), are not very hostile looking towards this lamer, yet he feels the need to have katana in hand, along with his assault rifle. One of the ghouls looks like he's waiting for a bus (God knows when it's coming, seeing as to the aforementioned lack of traffic), and the other has a big soup bone. What, is he gonna take this guy on with a bone, versus an assault rifle? Yeah, right.

* On the back of the guy's right hand, the one holding the katana, he has these three fleshy port looking things. What is he, Wolverine? I mean, Wolvie had metal one, and they looked a hell of alot cooler.

* Look at his Cleveland Browns jersey he decided to go shadowrunning in. Orange isn't a very good choice for stealth, ass. He reminds me of Bazooka from G.I. Joe.

* I think that's supposed to be a smartlink plugged into his head. Jeezus, that looks awful. And that puckered looking scar tissue around it. That's just nasty.

* What is that, his Trid remote wired into his neck?

* Okay, I don't know what those tubes running into his left leg are, but they look like some kinf of colostomy device. Yech!

* What's with the white shock of hair? Who are you, Rogue?

* Stupid hockey shinguards. Why you need these I have no idea. Unless that ghoul with the soup bone decides to slide-tackle you, I guess.

* Are those rubber-bands wrapped all around his katana hilt?

* The guy has a mullet. 'Nuff said.

* His headband defies gravity. somehow. Right by his ear, it goes striaght up and just hangs in mid-air.

* I guess with all the money this guy spent on his leg colostomy and remote control wired into his neck, he couldn't afford a razorblade. Nice shave, jackass. Oh, and the pr0n-star moustache is definately tres-chic.

That's all I got for now guys. Questions? Comments? Anything I missed?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
holychampion
post Mar 20 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,045

At least you got to enjoy the game before seeing the picture.

And Wolverines Spurs have the same look on his hands. It was the gloves he wore that had the metal sheathing. Later on after Magnus stripps Wolvs of his Adamantium he is depicted much the same.

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Mar 20 2004, 05:06 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,918

Ah, but Wolvie didn't have spurs, he had CLAWS! *L*

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Mar 20 2004, 05:12 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

The picture never bothered me, and the SSG was the second Shadowrun book I bought.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Mar 20 2004, 05:17 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,960

I totally agree with the original poster. That picture makes me grind my teeth everytime I have the misfortune to see it. The interior art itsn't much better IMO.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 20 2004, 05:19 PM
Post #6

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

about that bare asfalt and fog, ever heard of the barrens?

allso, the ghouls, dont they have bad eyesight? they may be smelling him but they may not know what he is packing.

i must say tho that i have never seen the pic myself...

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Mar 20 2004, 05:40 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 825

Funny, that's one of my favorite pieces of SR art.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 20 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #8

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Who gives a shit, it's out of print. It's not scaring newbies away anymore.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 20 2004, 07:04 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Do we have a picture handy?

~J

+Quote Post
Sunday_Gamer
post Mar 20 2004, 07:16 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,133

Don't do it! DOn't look directly at the picture!!!

There are some pieces of art in SHadowrun that were obviously drawn by people that simply have zero understanding of what SHadowrun is.

Take a gander at the cover of the critters book some time, or the magic book for that matter.

The elf on the cover of MitS is the single most foci addicted crazed thing I've ever seen, she's summoning some sort of sity spirit and she's using...bah... 30 foci?

The critters book is my favorite. Someone obviously told the artist vaguely what shadowrun was about. Check out the elf with both arms replaced by Stuffer Shack cyber cannons... HE HAS NO ARMS!!! Could his cyberwear be any worse?!?

It happens... I like to think that a monkey shaman made an illusion of something silly to put on the cover... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Kong

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 20 2004, 07:22 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

She's a Shaman. What do you expect but tons of trinkets and beads? Most of those probably aren't magical.

~J

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Mar 20 2004, 07:22 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 825

It's not scaring newbies away anymore.

See, that's just my point. In my case (and I include all of my friends with whom I first played), it had exactly the opposite effect.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 20 2004, 08:13 PM
Post #13

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Okay, to recap and add...[anal retentive mode on!] :D

(None of this is really serious)

* Where in the frag IS this guy? He's standing on a bare piece of asphalt with fog all around. What is this, Silent Hill? I mean, come on, you're in a fraggin METROPLEX, not Indiana. Where are the lights? the traffic?
As stated above, he's in the barrens, Pullyup or Redmond, where the conditions above definitely do happen, or more specifically it could be a slow area of Tar Aslar or Glow City. Glow City would explain a lot. Dong ma?

*Those ghouls (at least I think they're ghouls), are not very hostile looking towards this lamer, yet he feels the need to have katana in hand, along with his assault rifle. One of the ghouls looks like he's waiting for a bus (God knows when it's coming, seeing as to the aforementioned lack of traffic), and the other has a big soup bone. What, is he gonna take this guy on with a bone, versus an assault rifle? Yeah, right.
Mayve they AREN't hostile, but he doesn't know that. That's an assumption you made, and you know what happens when we assume. maybe he armed for some threat he is goign to encounter outside of the frame of the drawing, because that's where he is looking.

* On the back of the guy's right hand, the one holding the katana, he has these three fleshy port looking things. What is he, Wolverine? I mean, Wolvie had metal one, and they looked a hell of alot cooler.
To nitpick, no, wolverine didn't have those on his hand, he had those on his costume, there only thing those were for was to stop the blades from cutting the costume when he stuck out his claws. He popped his claws out through his skin, because he regenerated. This guy doesn't regenerate so he needs the ports of synthskin thqat separate so he doesnt give himelf a light wound popping out claws.

* Look at his Cleveland Browns jersey he decided to go shadowrunning in. Orange isn't a very good choice for stealth, ass. He reminds me of Bazooka from G.I. Joe.
Obvoiusly he's not going for stralth, in the middle of the barrens no police will show up anyway, so he's not too out of place.

* I think that's supposed to be a smartlink plugged into his head. Jeezus, that looks awful. And that puckered looking scar tissue around it. That's just nasty.
Not everyone can afford a top of the linbe surgeon, and theres rules for pulling a smartlink to a datajack, and it was very very common in earlier editions.

* What is that, his Trid remote wired into his neck?
Skillwires.

* Okay, I don't know what those tubes running into his left leg are, but they look like some kinf of colostomy device. Yech!
It's not nice to make fun of those with a disability ;)

* What's with the white shock of hair? Who are you, Rogue?
And what are you, the fashion police? this was over 10 years ago. It is the Distinctive Style Flaw. rounding out characters is good :D

* Stupid hockey shinguards. Why you need these I have no idea. Unless that ghoul with the soup bone decides to slide-tackle you, I guess.
On a real life note, if you plan to get in a fight and know what you're doing, you have no idea how nice shinguards are. I have players often take shinguards, the equivalenht stats as the forearm guards already in the book. And im actually not joking about that.

* Are those rubber-bands wrapped all around his katana hilt?
No, it's just self wrapped with leather cord instead of professionally wrapped with string more than likely.

* The guy has a mullet. 'Nuff said.
Again, time period, so did a lot of people.

* His headband defies gravity. somehow. Right by his ear, it goes striaght up and just hangs in mid-air.
He could of just jumped to see something and just landed, theres a dozen valid excuses for that one that all make sense in context.

* I guess with all the money this guy spent on his leg colostomy and remote control wired into his neck, he couldn't afford a razorblade. Nice shave, jackass. Oh, and the pr0n-star moustache is definately tres-chic.
I never shave unless I have to for work, thats a really lame nitpick. Also lots of people have facial hair. of course since you dont liek it let's bash the guy for it. very mature. again, pay attention to the time it was drawn.

:D :grinbig: :D

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Mar 20 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #14

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

You can find photos of the cover on Ebay. Just look for items named "Street Samurai Catalog".

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 20 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

Is it just me or should that be spelt "catalogue"?

~J

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 20 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

"spelled"

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 20 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #17

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

SSC

Gotta love The Shaodwrun Image Archive.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 20 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Ancient History)
"spelled"

Or spelt.

QUOTE (Dictionary.com)
Spell (v. Spelled, or Spelt)

1. To name or write in order the letters constituting (a word or part of a word).

2. To constitute the letters of (a word): These letters spell animal.

3. To add up to; signify: Their unwise investment could spell financial ruin.

Link.

It's partway down.

~J

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 20 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Well, I'll be Damned. Makes sense, in an "English-language-has-no-absolute-rules-whn-it-comes-to-spelling" way. my bad.<looks_sheepish>

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Mar 20 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #20

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

I think a bigger beef with the drawing would be the fact that none of the fraggin gear he is carrying appear within the book that the picture graces the cover of. But most SR art is like that, including the SR Duels. It pisses me off to no end. It is like the artist has to be creative so he makes his own drek up. I don't want to see the artists crap, I want to see the stuff in the books.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Mar 20 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Personally the Fields of Fire cover illustration kinda bugs me.

7 people. 6 guys and 1 girl, everyone in armor, cept the girl wearing the girdle and kneepads of protection...I guess. Kinda one of those 'chainmail bikini' stereotypes. Its an overall nice picture, but just the fact that she'd get killed in the first volley kinda irks me.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 20 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Obviously, she's a mage with a force 15 armor spell anchored to start when it detects anything traveling over 140km/h.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 20 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Ancient History)
Well, I'll be Damned. Makes sense, in an "English-language-has-no-absolute-rules-whn-it-comes-to-spelling" way. my bad.<looks_sheepish>

It's a temple of [neither] rhyme nor reason :)

And no worries. I'd've been surprised if it didn't trip somebody up.

~J

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post Mar 21 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

What would be the best cover art?

My vote is for Renraku Arcology Shutdown

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 21 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

RA:S rocks. I personally also really like Queen Euphoria and the Underworld Sourcebook.

(Edit: I'm talking about cover art, of course)

~J

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:52 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.