IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Defense vs Astral Weenies, Suggestions?
Apathy
post Mar 20 2004, 04:52 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,046

My group has hit on the idea of using 4+ watchers to melee more powerful spirits using the friends in melee rules. Using a decent high force spirit, it takes almost forever for them to do any damage (spirits body roll almost always negates the light damage) but with +4/-4 to the target numbers the watchers always win the melee rolls.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to counter this other than responding in kind?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 20 2004, 05:21 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

The larger spirit can simply ignore the watchers and do whatever it's supposed to do. Problem solved ;)

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 20 2004, 05:53 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Watcherball: a very restricted target manaball.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 20 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

if the more powerful spirit is summoned, have it used fast astral travel to go back to its summoner and let it know what's going on. the summoner will likely respond by tossing out a bunch of watchers of its own, and then calling the security desk at whatever facility he works for.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Mar 20 2004, 06:07 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Yes, the wather pack tactic can be extremely effective. Some ways to take-out watcher packs are with area effect spells, the whirling martial arts maneuver, and the confusion spirit power (which works on the astral). Another technique the larger spirit can use is to disengage every second round then charge at a point that is out of range of the other 3 watchers, taking them out 1 by 1. (This is a tactic you'll often see people use in melee-fighting computer games)

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Mar 20 2004, 06:15 PM
Post #6

Running Target

I guess in some cases that would work. If the spirits were there to beat up runners, though, they would have to deal with the friends in melee rule regardless.

I understand the rationale behind friends in melee, but think that it might be too powerful. It means that 5 girl scouts (unarmed 1 from their self defense merit badge) could probably kick a melee physad's (unarmed 6) ass.

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
holychampion
post Mar 20 2004, 06:24 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,045

LMFAO :rotfl:
OH I soo want to kick my Adepts ass with Girlscouts!

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Mar 20 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

That has to be the funniest thing I've seen around this place in the year that I've been here!! :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 20 2004, 07:02 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I definitely like the idea of Watcherball, though it could be argued that you would need Slaughter Watcher.

~J

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 20 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Slaughter Watcher.

Slaughter spells are merely mana spells with a constant damage level.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Mar 20 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Based on this thread, my next character will have an intense phobia of Girlscouts.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Mar 20 2004, 09:32 PM
Post #12

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

In terms of game balance, I don't want a pack of watchers to be both super-cheap and the most awesome Astral fighting machine out there. I also don't want the Girl Scouts of UCAS to order all their scout troops in the Seattle Metroplex to swarm over the Seattle gangs once a year in an effort to clean up Seattle.

So we've added the following house rule: A defender in a melee can choose to ignore selected attackers. Such attackers don't count as Friends for any other attackers, and the defender neither counters nor uses Combat Pool against attacks from those so selected. The Defender only uses Body dice (and Karma Pool) to reduce damage.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 21 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #13

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (holychampion)
LMFAO  :rotfl:

Oh I soo want to kick my Adepts ass with Girlscouts!

Also depends on the 'girl scouts' involved.

"Vilderness Girls!" :D

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Mar 21 2004, 05:21 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

QUOTE (OurTeam)
In terms of game balance, I don't want a pack of watchers to be both super-cheap and the most awesome Astral fighting machine out there. I also don't want the Girl Scouts of UCAS to order all their scout troops in the Seattle Metroplex to swarm over the Seattle gangs once a year in an effort to clean up Seattle.

So we've added the following house rule: A defender in a melee can choose to ignore selected attackers. Such attackers don't count as Friends for any other attackers, and the defender neither counters nor uses Combat Pool against attacks from those so selected. The Defender only uses Body dice (and Karma Pool) to reduce damage.

Just like play fighting with your 3 nephews ignore 2 of them as they punch and kick you while you tickle the third half to death (Untill the younger one (commonly named sean) sinks his teeth into your back)

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 21 2004, 05:31 AM
Post #15

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

The Warcher Attack Pack tactic can be extremely effective against single spirits. The answer is, of course, to counter with your own swarm of watchers.
Just like play fighting with your 3 nephews ignore 2 of them as they punch and kick you while you tickle the third half to death (Untill the younger one (commonly named sean) sinks his teeth into your back)

That's one reason why I don't like OurTeam's house rule; it doesn't feel right to counter player cleverness with a house rule. The other reason is because a Watcher Attack Pack, by itself, is not an astral powerhouse by any means. It becomes dangerous when combined with one or two larger spirits, plus possibly an astral mage. It's like getting attacked by a swarm of bees; bees themselves don't do much, but if you use them as a smokescreen for a more powerful attack, you'll do much better than before. OurTeam's house rule doesn't seem to reflect this bit-- it's like the spirit isn't even distracted by all the screaming watchers in its face.

(Having roughhoused with a few kids in my day, I can tell you that if you ignore two to focus on one, at least one of them will dash away and grab a bat. In game terms, it just doesn't seem right that you can ignore the ones that aren't sneaking up on you.)

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Mar 21 2004, 07:20 AM
Post #16

Running Target

It doesn't feel right to counter player cleverness with a house rule

It's not that this is especially clever, this has been a common topic on this forum for the last several years I've been watching the boards.

My concern is that it's not balanced (reference the girl scout post above). I agree that friends in melee has an impact. I just don't think it should trump everything else, because then it's just a question of who brings the bigger gang (not who's got the 'better' gang).

I kind of agree with the logic behind OurTeam's rule, because I think it does add balance. If the opponents are even halfway decent, then ignoring them will get you beaten down very quickly unless you're a munchkin troll with a 15 body. I've talked with my group in the past, and suggested something very similar. They had mixed opinions about it, mainly because they hate house rules on principle.

The reason I created the post was not for advice on a house rule, but to see if any other players or gms had thought of some clever tactics that would counter-balance this trick. It'll get really boring if it's just a question of who shows up with the greatest number of bodies.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Mar 21 2004, 07:30 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

The way I've seen it dealt with is a simple reinterprittion of the existing rule. Friends in melee only applies for friends who have already engaged in a round of combat. So, watcher 1 attacks and gets no friends in melee, watcher 2 attacks and gets 1 friend if and only if watcher 1 survived, and so on.

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Mar 21 2004, 08:25 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 825

That's the way I've always done it. Doesn't seem to make sense that a guy hasn't even had a chance to move yet is able interfere or help out his buddy.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 21 2004, 09:53 AM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Then they just hold their actions and attack at the same time. Problem solved, FIM bonuses galore.

~J

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Mar 21 2004, 03:11 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Possibly giving the lone person time to either get out or beat a couple of 'em down.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 21 2004, 04:13 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

To either get out or beat one of them down.

~J

+Quote Post
cykotek
post Mar 21 2004, 04:28 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,621

As far as the "girl scouts vs adept" thing goes, you need to remember the order of engagement. I don't consider the rest of the girl scouts to be in melee unless they've had a chance to act and engage, or are being attacked as part of a "multiple targets" melee attack. If you can go fast enough to get the jump on them, you can probably disable one or two, then disengage to make another pass. With a higher initiative, you stand a better chance of disengaging for a moment, to rejoin the melee in a less disadvantageous position. And if you can't disengage, you've managed to drop one or two opponents before their friends can start making your life difficult.

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Mar 21 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

To either get out or beat one of them down.

Attacking multiple combatants is a good thing, especially against Girl Scouts.

+Quote Post
Neon Tiger
post Mar 21 2004, 05:08 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,497

How's about using Spiritbolt/ball to take out watchers?

Does Spiritbolt/ball affect fleshform insect spirits? I'd say yes.

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Mar 21 2004, 06:09 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

How's about using Spiritbolt/ball to take out watchers?

You'd also nail the spirit that you want to protect from the watchers.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.