IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oriental Opportunities - Recruitment/Interest Gathering, Adventures in Hong Kong
Edana
post Feb 21 2011, 09:48 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,479

RECRUITMENT SEMI-OPEN: Reserves Only

Rather than wait for another game that interests me personally to start up (and maybe even get started (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ), I figured I'd put in my hat for running something here. This thread is basically to lay out what I'm looking for, and see if there's enough interest in it to get a game going. If you're interested, please post a basic character idea and I'll add you to the list. Nothing fancy, 1-2 sentences is fine, but do include your main role focus (sam, rigger, face, etc.) so I can keep track of how the group is balanced and other people can potentially avoid too much overlap.

Setting will be Hong Kong, and I'm expecting this to lean pretty far towards 'mirror-shades' as opposed to the 'pink mohawk' style.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on things to read as far as using HK as a setting, please let me know. I've recently re-read the Runner Haven's and 6WA writeups, but I'm always looking for more places to get ideas.

If I've missed anything, please let me know and I'll fix it ASAP. I'm generally at a computer most of the day, so turnaround for me is usually pretty quick, but does depend on how much work I have to do at that moment. I don't tend to post much on weekends though, so anything posted then may not get answered right away. (US Central time zone for reference.)

Posting Requirements
I'm going to steal a page from the Post or Die thread here and put this at no more than 7 days elapsed from your second to last IC post. If you fail to meet this your character may be put to death in whatever fashion suits me. (I will be a little lenient in that if you go past this but manage to post before I get around to killing you off, you'll be back safely on the clock.) If you know you're going to be gone for an extended period, and give sufficient warning, I can write you out in a less fatal way so you could potentially rejoin later.

The same applies to me as GM, if I haven't posted anyone else can feel free to take over and continue on. I've run multi-year pbp games in that other system without a problem though, so I'm really not expecting this to be an issue, as I know (mostly) what I'm getting into (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) .

Character Generation
Karma-gen, 650 karma. SR4A karma costs. Races are 1*BP in Karma. (Full explanation in This post.)

Do NOT pay for knowledge skills out of this. DO buy language skills though. Knowledge skills will be worked out with me based on background submitted and 20 questions answers. I do have a cap in mind for these, so don't think a 10 page background is going to give you ridiculous numbers. I'd prefer everything stay at a reasonable length. If you need a copy of the standard 20 q's, let me know and I can post or PM them.

Bonus contacts equal to 50% of what you spent on contacts. (If you spent 25 points buying contacts this means you will have 13 bonus points.) Contacts bought with bonus points must be 3/2 or lower.

Standard races only. No Surge. (ie. Human, Elf, Troll, Ork, Dwarf only)

Negative Qualities should actually be negative, otherwise I reserve the right to veto them.

Nothing allowed from PDF-only releases (mostly because I don't buy them, and thus don't have access). Most other books are fine. If you're not sure, run it by me and I'll let you know for sure. (SR4A, Street Magic, Augmentation, Arsenal, Unwired are guaranteed safe to use. Most of Runner's Companion too, minus the things I've already listed.)

House Rules
  • Watcher spirits don't suck at watching/searching: Treat watchers as Force = Summoner's Magic when using Perception, Assensing and the Search power. (If you can think of anything else that needs to be added to this, go ahead and suggest it. This essentially means watchers roll 2*Magic for those cases.)
  • No emotitoys or emotion software.
  • 20 Dice Pool cap.
  • SIN checks aren't opposed tests. SINs are checked with a System + Verification Software (SIN rating) test. This may be an extended test with an interval determined by the scanner in use. (System + Verification Software simplifies to 2*Scanner Rating for basic scanners.) End result is R6 SINs are hard to crack, R1's are still basically throwaway.

If the players all want to add something else to the house rules, feel free to suggest. I generally try to avoid having very many.

Other Notes
The primary languages in Hong Kong are English and Cantonese. Expect most of your 'business' interactions to be in Cantonese.

Hong Kong is a very social network centric place, so having plenty of contacts would be strongly advised.

The characters should all have some ties amongst themselves. Liking each other isn't strictly necessary, but I won't tolerate excessive arguing or pvp. If everyone wants to work on a group background, that would be awesome.

6 active players as a hard limit, anyone past that will be on the reserve list. (Given PoD's history, there's likely to be a fair amount of turnover, so it's probably not too terrible to be on the wait list (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .)

Assuming enough interest, ideally I'd like to start the IC thread by March 7th, but earlier than that is possible if everything comes together faster.

PC List
  1. Thanee: Ting-Ting - Female Human - Adept (Martial Arts)
  2. phlapjack77: Dante - Male Human - Street Sam with some drone support
  3. Seth: Dr. Yang - Male Ork - Mystic Adept/Medic
  4. Kim: Hope - Male Human - Adept (Martial Arts)
  5. sabs: Fractal - Male Human - Hacker/Face
  6. Mickle5125: Max - Male Dwarf - Wuxing Mage

Reserve List
  1. marcgarc
  2. Belvidere
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 21 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #2

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

moved...

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Feb 22 2011, 02:00 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

Final answer

Dante

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Mickle5125
post Feb 22 2011, 05:25 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 14,433

by "standard races only," are you denying all of the options from Runner's Companion? IE: Are pixies, metavariants, free spirits, etc out along side the SURGE?

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 22 2011, 06:20 AM
Post #5

jacked in

Yeah, I would understand that as meaning Human, Elf, Dwarf, Ork, Troll only.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Seth
post Feb 22 2011, 06:58 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 19,113

Here is the official format:
[ Spoiler ]

Here is a compact format:
[ Spoiler ]

Here is a spreadsheet version with double entry karma and cash management

Enemy
[ Spoiler ]

20 Questions
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Feb 22 2011, 07:40 AM
Post #7

Runner

QUOTE (Seth @ Feb 22 2011, 02:58 PM) *
I would very much like to join in. I would like to play a mage or a mystic adept. I wouldn't mind holding off on the final choice until I see what the others are doing: I would like to complement them, not compete with them.

I'm finding myself veering constantly back towards the idea of a mage character, even as I try to come up with a good street sam character.

Maybe we could all be from the same magical group / tradition (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Seth
post Feb 22 2011, 08:27 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

All the same tradition: what a crazy idea. That would mean that we could do ritual magic together, and share notes, and be generally helpful to each other. Crazy idea.

I would quite like the Wuxing tradition. Just call me a Daoist!

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Feb 22 2011, 08:32 AM
Post #9

Runner

QUOTE (Seth @ Feb 22 2011, 04:27 PM) *
All the same tradition: what a crazy idea. That would mean that we could do ritual magic together, and share notes, and be generally helpful to each other. Crazy idea.

I would quite like the Wuxing tradition. Just call me a Daoist!

This sounds like it could be a cool idea - a Wuxing-tradition group. Thanee? Mickle5125? And most importantly, Edana? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Seth
post Feb 22 2011, 09:53 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

What rules do we use for paying karma for races? 0*bp, 1*bp or 2*bp?

I believe the consensus view is that 1*bp is the most RAW, but I have no opinion on this (mostly I use bps to generate characters)

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 22 2011, 10:31 AM
Post #11

jacked in

Here's a repost of AH's corrections to the RC KarmaGen for SR4A:

p.41 Karma Character Generation Table
The Karma Cost for Metatype (shapeshifter type, etc.) should be “As BP*.”
The Karma Cost for improving an attribute by 1 should be “New rating x 5.”

p.42 Step 1: Choose Your Metatype or Other Character Race Option
The first paragraph should read:
“First you must choose metatype or other alternative character concept (i.e. shapeshifter, AI, sasquatch, etc.); there Karma cost for metatype or race is equal to the BP cost for that metatype or option (i.e. if a race costs 10 BP, in Karmagen it costs 10 Karma); the BP cost should be noted as it is important for Step 3. The Metatype Attribute Table (see p. 70 and p.73, SR4) or the relevant table in the section describing the new character races in this book provide your character’s starting and maximum attribute ratings.”

p.42 Step 5: Convert Your Karma to Nuyen
The second line should read:
“A maximum of 100 Karma may be converted to nuyen in this fashion, or 120 if the character has the Born Rich quality (p.96).”

p.43 Focus Bonding Table
The Karma Cost for weapon foci should be “3 x Force.”

p.43-44 Character Creation Example

Marissa wants to make a new character for the latest Shadowrun campaign, something a little different—a sasquatch street druid called Sacnoth. Her gamemaster tells Marissa that they’re using the Karma-based character generation system, and she has 750 Karma with which to create Sacnoth.

First off, the cost of playing a sasquatch is 40 Karma, reducing Marissa’s total down to 690. Marissa purchases the Magician (Druidic tradition) and Mentor Spirit (Oak) positive qualities for 40 Karma, reducing her total to 650. To buy some more points, Marissa takes the SIN (5 BP version, citizen of the UK) and Incantation Geas negative qualities, bringing her Karma total back up to 680. As a sasquatch, Sacnoth begins with the Uneducated negative quality for no Karma.

Now it’s time for buying attributes. The basic cost for a sasquatch character is 40 BP; this allows Marissa to spend up to 455 Karma (one-half of her starting Karma plus twice the BP cost) on Sacnoth’s attributes. Intuition is of prime importance to druids, so Marissa decides that’s the attribute she wants to max out. Finally, she spends another chunk of points to increase her Body to 8—after all, what’s a sasquatch that can’t take a few hits? The total cost of her attribute increases is 280 Karma, bringing her total down to 400.

CODE
Attribute    Value    Karma Cost
Body           8          75
Agility        3          25
Reaction       2          10
Strength       5           0
Charisma       3          25
Intuition      6          75
Logic          3          25
Willpower      4          45
TOTAL                    280

As a sasquatch, Marissa’s character starts out with Magic and Edge attributes of 1 and an Essence of 6 ( for now). Sacnoth’s Initiative is derived from adding Reaction and Intuition together, resulting in 8. Marissa increases both Magic and Edge to 3 by spending 25 Karma each, bringing her total Karma down to 350 .

Now Marissa buys Sacnoth’s skills. Starting off with her maximums, Marissa decides Sacnoth will have two rating 5 skills—Assensing and Astral Combat, critical for a dual-natured sasquatch—one rating 3 skill group, Sorcery, and Enchanting 3. The Conjuring group skills Banishing, Binding, and Summoning she buys individually at rating 4 and takes specialties in each of them. That takes care of Sacnoth’s magical skills, so now Marissa rounds her character out with some basics: First Aid 2, Perception 3, Survival 2, Tracking 2, and Unarmed Combat 2 (Subdual +2).

For knowledge and language skills, Marissa starts out with the Perth-Athabaskans Sign Language as Sacnoth’s Native language, and makes the sasquatch fluent in French Sign Language (Jive+2) at rating 4. To reflect the sasquatch’s background (and mindful of his lack of formal education), Marissa takes Botany 3, Druidic Lore 4, Magic Background 3, Medical Theory 3, Astronomy 3, and Sapient Critters 3.

CODE
Skill                          Karma Cost
Assensing 5                        32
Astral Combat 5                    32
Astronomy 3                         7
Banishing 4 (Plant Spirits +2)     24
Binding 4 (Plant Spirits +2)       24
Botany 3                            7
Druidic Lore 4                     11
Enchanting 3                       14
First Aid 2                         8
French Sign Language 4 (Jive +2)   13
Magic Background 3                  7
Medical Theory 3                    7
Perception 3                       14
Perkins-Athabaskan N                0
Sapient Critters 3                  7
Sorcery Group 3                    35
Summoning 4 (Plant Spirits +2)     24
Survival 2                          8
Tracking 2                          8
Unarmed Combat 2 (Subdual +2)       8
TOTAL                             290

After spending the 290 Karma points on skills, Sacnoth has 60 Karma remaining.

Cashing 5 Karma in for nuyen, Marissa uses the 12,500 nuyen to purchase a basic commlink (Meta Link running Vector Xim with a sim module, Virtual Surround Music, a sasquatch-sized monocle with image link, sasquatch-sized headphones, and sasquatch-sized AR Gloves), a handful of linguasofts (English 2, French 2), a shoulder pouch of food and tools (equivalent to two survival kits), and four months of a Low Lifestyle (a sasquatch’s lifestyle costs 30% more than normal). This brings her down to 55 Karma remaining.

Marissa can select up to 6 spells for Sacnoth at 5 Karma each. She chooses Camouflage, Clean Water, Armor, Heal, Stun Bolt, and Nutrition. After this, Marissa just has 25 Karma left.

For contacts, Marissa chooses as Sasquatch Bartender (Connections 2, Loyalty 4) and a Neo-Celt WizKid Gang Member (Connections 1, Loyalty 2). This comes to a total of 22 Karma.

With 3 Karma left, Marissa goes back and converts 1 of them to nuyen to buy a rating 5 magical lodge (a collection of heavy stones carved with ogham letters), and spends the last two points to specialize her Botany skill for Gathering, giving her Botany 3 (Gathering +2).

With all her Karma points spent, Marissa finishes the character by calculating his starting Condition Monitors, answering the Character Quiz, and rolling for his starting nuyen.

I would assume it works like that.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Kim
post Feb 22 2011, 01:18 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,169

The game I’m in seems to have stopped and this one looks promising.

I was thinking about a ninja if it’s compatible with the other characters, but I really like the Wuxing tradition idea too.

+Quote Post
marcgarc
post Feb 22 2011, 02:02 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 20,599

Very interested in this one, as other games I've got into seem to have disappeared from Earth!!

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Feb 22 2011, 02:18 PM
Post #14

Runner

QUOTE (Kim @ Feb 22 2011, 09:18 PM) *
The game I’m in seems to have stopped and this one looks promising.

I was thinking about a ninja if it’s compatible with the other characters, but I really like the Wuxing tradition idea too.

A physad ninja following the Wuxing tradition could work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Seth
post Feb 22 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

I posted a first draft of Dr Yang above

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 22 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #16

jacked in

Seth, if your Magic is split 1/4 (Mage/Adept), as it looks like, you cannot cast spells higher than F2 (see FAQ). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

Also, the Increase Reactions spell does not stack with the Attribute Boost (Reaction) power, unfortunately.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Edana
post Feb 22 2011, 03:12 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

I'll try to answer questions in order, good to see there's plenty of interest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . (Not going to comment on character concepts at the moment, other than to say everything looks good thus far.)
  • Standard races means nothing from RC, correct. Considering their overall rarity, it would be pretty hard to keep a low profile as one of the variants.
  • If all, or some, of you want to play same tradition magic users, that's fine with me. As long as you take the Arcana skill (since it's pretty much required to form a group) and pay the 5 karma, I'm willing to handwave the rolls necessary for group formation as long as it's written into backstory. Or you can leave this for in-play if you prefer.
  • Sorry I forgot to include the race cost in the opening, but Thanee's post covers that well. It'll be same cost as BP. I'll edit this into the original post.

One thing you may want to keep in mind with a magic-heavy group is that astral space and mana in a lot of the business areas is pretty messed up with all of the corps' feng-shui shenanigans. It won't cripple you or anything, but it could be pretty inconvenient in some places (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) .

+Quote Post
sabs
post Feb 22 2011, 03:17 PM
Post #18

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

QUOTE (Thanee @ Feb 22 2011, 03:02 PM) *
Seth, if your Magic is split 1/4 (Mage/Adept), as it looks like, you cannot cast spells higher than F2 (see FAQ). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

Also, the Increase Reactions spell does not stack with the Attribute Boost (Reaction) power, unfortunately.

Bye
Thanee

The FAQ answer is before SR4A, which specifically says:
For every point of Magic invested in physical abilities, the character
gets one Power Point that she can use to purchase adept powers.
Every point of Magic invested in mana-based abilities grants the character
one point to use with Magic-based skills. For all other purposes,
including the determination of the maximum level for adept powers,
the character’s full Magic attribute is used.

So, while his casting skills would be 1+sorcery rank, he could cast F5 spells without overcasting.

Is there room for 1 more, I have this idea for a Skillwires/Hacker/Face.

+Quote Post
Seth
post Feb 22 2011, 03:27 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Absolutely. I like reactions though, and if I cannot cast the spell (I am under observation, or just come though a ward or background count is crippling my sustaining foci...) I like the idea of being able to boost it.

By the way: do we have a hacker yet? If not I'm quite happy to drop Dr Yang, and do some of that low level bit bashing.

+Quote Post
Edana
post Feb 22 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

marcgarc has expressed interest and Mickle5125 asked a question, but neither has posted basic concept, so there's still 2 slots open at the moment. (Well, now 1, since you listed basic concept (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) .)

+Quote Post
Seth
post Feb 22 2011, 03:38 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

I've tweaked Dr Yang to have the arcana skill and paid 5 karma for the magical group

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Feb 22 2011, 03:40 PM
Post #22

Runner

Hey Edana!

To clarify my concept slightly, I'm still going to try a sammy with slight rigging tendencies. Just not sure whether to go the magic route or the cyber route.

+Quote Post
Edana
post Feb 22 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Seth @ Feb 22 2011, 09:38 AM) *
I've tweaked Dr Yang to have the arcana skill and paid 5 karma for the magical group

Sounds good, if the other magic-types want to do the same, you guys should work out the group membership requirements and strictures. On a quick glance, I see you don't have any languages listed, so you may want to consider those if you want anything more than the free native language. Also, don't forget that sustaining foci are limited to one category of spells.

QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Feb 22 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Hey Edana!

To clarify my concept slightly, I'm still going to try a sammy with slight rigging tendencies. Just not sure whether to go the magic route or the cyber route.

That's fine, I'll update the list (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .

+Quote Post
Mickle5125
post Feb 22 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 14,433

I'll see if I can put together a full-on wuxing mage. What's the due-date for the character?

+Quote Post
Edana
post Feb 22 2011, 09:01 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

No hard due date at this point, but since that's a full 6 people, I'd like to see reasonably complete sheets by the 1st. That's about a week, and will give me a couple days to look everything over and still start by the 7th.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:53 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.