Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadow's Dawn: Diving into the past- recruitment, Recruiting reserves
Seth
post Feb 23 2011, 08:08 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,113

OK Since my "prerecruitment thread" became a recruitment thread, I thought I would formally open a recruitment thread. Please use your first post to keep your character description in, so that I can find it.

Please have first draft characters ready by the 1st March, and I will start running around the 7th March. I will fill the following section in by the 1st March

Current players:

Reservists:

The purpose for the recruitment thread was to get the feeling for the rules and character creation sorted. I got the view that a lot of people had problems making characters feel 10,000 years old, and the few characters I saw showed why. This is now quite a bit more powerful than I had planned on playing, but hey at least I can make the monsters tougher. The following is the current set of character creation rules, it has changed since the recruitment thread, so please read carefully. I will bold the important change (starting magic = 7)

If you have problems making your character feel powerful, please PM me, or post. A couple of characters have done this, and benefited from it.
[ Spoiler ]

Rule system modifiers: hopefully short
[ Spoiler ]

Relationships:
[ Spoiler ]

A brief history
[ Spoiler ]

A few notes on the nature of the world
[ Spoiler ]

The first post will look something like this:
[ Spoiler ]

Things to think about for the start:
[ Spoiler ]

Posting guidelines
[ Spoiler ]

Your initial security briefing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Feb 23 2011, 10:31 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

Here's my formal sign-up.
I will be playing a Pixie/Windling, who has made a free spirit pact back in the day. I am taking this as a 10 pt. disadvantage, like you suggested in the prerecruitment thread.

Name: Arren
Street nick (since around 2003): Sprite

Sheet, so far:
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
sabs
post Feb 23 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

I'm playing a Dwarven Wizard who has been staying alive through the ages with the use of Life Magic Rituals™

Born: Marduk of Throal
Legendary name: Marduk The Mad Scholar
Current Name: Mark "Mad Professor" Vladisnov
Dwarf
Mystic Adept

Stats:
[ Spoiler ]

Skills:
[ Spoiler ]

Languages:
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge Skills:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts: Sigh, I could have spent 400 points on contacts..
[ Spoiler ]

Relations:
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities:
[ Spoiler ]

Magic:
Initiate Level 4
Tradition: Hermetic
Drain: Willpower + Logic

[ Spoiler ]

Cyber/Bioware
[ Spoiler ]

Background:
[ Spoiler ]

And yes, I'm trying to recreate the Wizard Adept from Earthdawn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) it's.. not easy.

Past Marduk
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...t&p=1091735

Dream Manipulation points:
Roll: 5
Total: 5 + 5 : 10
Used: 2

+Quote Post
Aria
post Feb 23 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,267

Name: Kirylle (Ryl) deBathayre
Alias: eTher
Metatype: Human (Drake)
Sex: Female
Nationality: Unknown
Matrix Icon: Celestial Dragon
Reality Filter: Ancient / technological forest
Lifestyle: Medium
Nuyen: 430¥
Karma Earned: 20
Karma Spent: 19
Street Cred: 2
Notoriety: 1
Public Awareness: 1.0

BPs Spent
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities
[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Adept Powers
[ Spoiler ]

Metamagics
[ Spoiler ]

Resources and Gear
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts
[ Spoiler ]

Character Sketch: Drake
Character Sketch: Human Form

Background Story
[ Spoiler ]

This post has been edited by Aria: Jun 1 2011, 01:32 PM

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Feb 23 2011, 01:21 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

AMBROSE
Immortal Troll Alchemist

Relevant Links: Character Portrait, Invisible Castle History

Birthname: Ambran of the Deepwood Trbe
Birthplace: Vasgothia, in what is now known as the Black Forest
Legendary Name: Ambran the Seeker
Sixth World Name: Dr. Ambrose Bellsario, M.D., Th.D.
Other Names Used Through History: Ambroset (Egyptian), Ambrosius Basilides (Classical), Ambrolio d'Bellsario (Reformation), and Dr. Bertram Ambrosdt (WWII).
Current Residence: Cardiff, Wales, in a loft he converted from an old warehouse.

Description: Ambrose is a surprisingly pleasant troll to be around. He's nowhere near as large or menacing as other members of his race and, while uncomfortable and shy around strangers, he's always easy to smile and quick to laugh. He's not quite as rugged and calloused as you remember him from the old days, and his demeanor is more of a learned scholar than the disciplined warrior of yesteryear. Which in and of itself is quite remarkable considering his personality back then; he used to be quite reckless and brazen and always willing to lead the charge into battle with shield and hammer held high if the cause was just. These days he's a stoic academic, more at home in a workshop than the battlefield. When asked, he claims that in this day and age where technology has become the great equalizer, he'd rather out-think his opponents rather than risk losing to the ubertech of the modern era in a direct confrontation.

Race & Qualities
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes
[ Spoiler ]

Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Magic
[ Spoiler ]

Augmentations
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts, Enemies, & Relationships
[ Spoiler ]

Equipment
[ Spoiler ]

[More Descriptions Coming Soon...]

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 23 2011, 03:34 PM
Post #6

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

Reserved for Mandala -- Free Spirit of Buddhist Tradition

*** All below are subject to change ***

Story and Character Description
[ Spoiler ]

[450 BP] + {20 Karma}

Free Spirit [30]

Qualities [-20]
[ Spoiler ]

Tradition
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes [220]
[ Spoiler ]

Special Attributes[80]
[ Spoiler ]

Initiations
[ Spoiler ]

Spirit Powers
[ Spoiler ]

Spells [24] {10}
[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills [96] {10}
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge Skills (120 pts.)
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts (32 pts.) [16] - details to be fleshed out
[ Spoiler ]

Relationships (16 pts.) [4]
[ Spoiler ]

Wealth 70,000 Nuyen

Latest Edit: 28 Feb 2011 21:16 EST

+Quote Post
Sephiroth
post Feb 23 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 18,539

Name: Fearghas
Metatype: Immortal Elf
Sex: Male

Attributes
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities

[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills

[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Metamagics:
[ Spoiler ]

Foci:
[ Spoiler ]

Spells (Spellcasting/Conjuring Magic 6):
[ Spoiler ]

Adept Powers (Magic 3):
[ Spoiler ]

Cyber/Bioware:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts and Relationships:
[ Spoiler ]

Quickened spells:
[ Spoiler ]

Me'raearth Fearghas (ED)
Metatype: Immortal Elf

Attributes:
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities:
[ Spoiler ]

Skills

Lightbearer Metamagics (rank 7):
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Seth
post Feb 23 2011, 07:35 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 19,113

@Halinn: Looks nice. I'm guessing your main roles are face/infiltration. Can you give me a few details on your spirit pact owner, or do you want to leave it up to me

@sabs: Cerebral booster 3 needs restricted gear. Everything else looks fine

@aria / ol'scratch / sephiroth: looking forwards to seeing them

@pbangarth: Do you want the draco foundation as a contact, given your relationship with Dunkelzahn? P

The other two (my wife is going to give pbp a try, and my son is enjoying emerging conflicts: so he will come along to) characters we'll post after we get back from New Zealand: BigFella is playing a drake. <Unknown name> is playing an elven monster hunter.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 24 2011, 04:18 AM
Post #9

Old Man of the North

Yeah, the Draco Foundation sounds good. Now that I have the Magic thing figured out, I'll adjust some stats.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 24 2011, 04:31 AM
Post #10

Old Man of the North

Ooookaaayyyy...

So the Draco Foundation looks like a biggy. Say up to 1000 members, so +4 connection; global influence +6; vast magical resources +6; broad reaching Matrix presence +2. SO whatever Connection rating I give it (is there anything that makes sense but 6?), I should add +18. Does that sound right?

So, tentatively, Draco Foundation 6(24) connection / 4 loyalty (Mandala has a Relationship of 6 with Dunkelzahn). Sound right? For only 28 BP! But one helluva contact!

As it turns out, with the starting Magic at 7, I have the extra BP.

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Feb 24 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #11

Running Target

QUOTE (Seth @ Feb 23 2011, 08:35 PM) *
@Halinn: Looks nice. I'm guessing your main roles are face/infiltration. Can you give me a few details on your spirit pact owner, or do you want to leave it up to me

I think it would be more interesting to have you come up with that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 24 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #12

Old Man of the North

With all the talk of Magic Attribute going to 10, I was wondering whether Mandala's Magic (from Force) of only 9 would be a problem (Sheesh, can you listen to that!), but I see the other two posted PCs also have a Magic of 9. I guess we have to be very careful of those -10 Voids, huh?

I just don't have anything else I want to rob for 25 BP to get his Magic up that one more point. The only thing I can see is stealing 6 Skill levels total from a bunch of Skills, and one more from Relationships. All this in the hopes that he would be able to build up those Skill levels again relatively soon. At the moment I'm not that hungry for that last point.

A few things to remember in play (writing them here as much to remind myself as to tell others):

A Free Spirit can Aid Sorcery for any class of spell, so he can add his Force to a fellow magician's spellcasting pool. So a teammate who has a special spell we really need at the moment can be bumped significantly.

With the Spirit Pact (Power Pact), he can share most of his Powers with fellow players (Seth understandably doesn't want Materialization, Possession or ItNW). The cool MetaSethMagic of Background Resistance(1) might be interesting to some.

The Cleansing Metamagic he has can clear an area (?radius (Magic) meters?) of positive background count associated with a domain, such as may be possible in a certain Aztechnology pyramid. If that room 27A is some place we have to hole up until the cavalry arrives, we may profit from clearing it of Azzie influence while we defend ourselves there.

Being Aztechnology, there may be machines pitted against us. Object Resistance doesn't work against critter powers, only spells, so Accident and Psychokinesis may be useful tools against drones and the like.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Feb 24 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Didn't Seth mention that your Force would never diminish to below 1/5th its normal rating, even in those painfully low Magic areas?

If you're really worried about it, you could try looking at Geomancy or maybe even Filtering, and just assume that he went out of his way to clear small areas to lair in when Magic dropped too far, and spent most of his time over the centuries maintaining it.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 25 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #14

Old Man of the North

QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Feb 24 2011, 05:27 PM) *
Didn't Seth mention that your Force would never diminish to below 1/5th its normal rating, even in those painfully low Magic areas?

If you're really worried about it, you could try looking at Geomancy or maybe even Filtering, and just assume that he went out of his way to clear small areas to lair in when Magic dropped too far, and spent most of his time over the centuries maintaining it.

Yes, I see that HERE. That applies for Free Spirits when their life force is infused in a gem, which may not be the case during our perambulations in this campaign, and would not apply to other PC types.

Cleansing, Geomancy and Filtering work on the positive background count of domains, not on the negatives of mana deprivation.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Feb 25 2011, 12:43 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Ah. I never really looked into them that much as I kind of like the occasional roadblocks various background counts add to a game. (I'm weird like that.)

As for the gem thing, I think that's the main point. As far as I know, we're not actually going to be taking our characters as they stand right now (their Sixth World stats) and tossing them back in time, so much as revisiting who and what we were in the past. That means our stats and abilities might be completely different in each of the eras we revisit. So what you need to do is figure out how you survived the Fifth World, and each era in particular, and go from there. Maybe you did spend some of that time in a gem, artifact, or living being with whom you Shared Life (a technique you may not even know anymore). Maybe that was enough to keep you bound to this world even if you were all but powerless except for the ability to communicate with your host (assuming the Shared Life route). I honestly think that's the best route for a free spirit to take, but I don't know if that fits in with your Buddhist concepts.

That said, I am still confused a little myself. I've seen a lot of different numbers through the other thread regarding what the effective mana levels would be at. I think -- think -- the intention is that -10 is about as low as it'll get in the eras we relive, but the areas we move to during those eras will be about three points lower, so -7 should be the most we have to worry about. But like I said, I've seen a bunch of different numbers tossed out and used in different contexts, so I'm just as lost as you are really. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Paul Kauphart
post Feb 25 2011, 12:56 AM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 18,956

Gunslinger Adept, Immortal Elf, you'll have the full character sheet by tomorrow evening CET.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Feb 25 2011, 01:03 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Sweet, a combat type! Now I know who to hide behind. How you doing, buddy!

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 25 2011, 03:45 AM
Post #18

Old Man of the North

Hey! Hide behind the guy with Hardened Armor of 18. Ask nicely and he'll materialize as a riot shield for you.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Feb 25 2011, 04:19 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

I can handle having two buddies! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Feb 25 2011, 04:56 AM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Feb 25 2011, 05:19 AM) *
I can handle having two buddies! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You may also enjoy the fact that I can dodge most bullets. Actually, it seems quite a few of our little group can survive being in combat.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 25 2011, 05:16 AM
Post #21

Old Man of the North

QUOTE (Halinn @ Feb 24 2011, 11:56 PM) *
You may also enjoy the fact that I can dodge most bullets. Actually, it seems quite a few of our little group can survive being in combat.

Yeah, well, let's wait to see what Seth thinks is a good test for us.

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Feb 25 2011, 05:35 AM
Post #22

Running Target

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 25 2011, 06:16 AM) *
Yeah, well, let's wait to see what Seth thinks is a good test for us.

I happen to like my misplaced confidence. So there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 25 2011, 05:48 AM
Post #23

Old Man of the North

Hmmm... the four PCs for whom there are partial posts don't show any Heal spell. I better reconsider Mandala.

+Quote Post
Sephiroth
post Feb 25 2011, 05:58 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 18,539

QUOTE (Halinn @ Feb 25 2011, 12:56 AM) *

Indeed. I still have a lot to work on with him, but my IE character is also decent at combat. He can also fly. With Exotic Melee Weapon (Scythe) (Fighting while Airborne +2). And a sword that shoots lasers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Feb 25 2011, 06:00 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Well. I can identify flowers and open locks. Take that!

<suddenly feeling less of a man>

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.