IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> duct tape, when you've exceeded capacity...
Laodicea
post Feb 26 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749

So you've got a helmet that you've filled the capacity on....and you want a signal jammer....so you duct tape it to the exterior of the helmet. Does anyone see a problem with this or other similar situations?

Obviously duct tape isn't going to work for things that need to be internal to whatever system they're integrated on.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Feb 26 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Eh, if I bothered to follow most of the rules in the game, I'd just enforce carrying capacity if people really wanted to do things like that. (With the follow-up concept that the Capacity granted by things like armor and helmets doesn't count against your load.)

But if you're not doing something like that, and thus there's no real consequence for doing so, it can get out of hand really quickly. Sure it could be a laugh from time to time (I see lots of potential redneck jokes), but that humor would turn to eye-rolling munchkinism in a heartbeat.

+Quote Post
Hound
post Feb 26 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,778

as a GM, I'd think about allowing it. But I'd also make sure to point out that the character looks stupid. And maybe have the thing fall off. Heh, make the char roll a hardware+logic test to determine how well he secures the jammer on there, then roll against that every time he does something jarring.

But really, in the end, what's the big deal? I mean on glasses or whatever, something you want to be covert, I could see worrying about capacity more, but if you don't care about looks then really you can add all kinds of shit onto any particular piece of gear. And it's not like having a signal jammer on your helmet is really going to be that much better than having a signal jammer in your pocket.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Feb 26 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Where does it stop though? If you can do that, why can't you "duct tape" (using it as a general concept rather than literally duct taping something) a few extra turrets on your car, or "duct tape" a bunch of extra accessories on your assault rifle? If there's no consequence, there's no reason not to if you're so inclined.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 26 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I agree: looking stupid and having things imperfectly mounted/calibrated/secured are not trivial concerns in this situation, but a vest with lots of little pockets is just good sense. PAN means not worrying where anything is.

It does depends on the the mod. Duct taping a flashlight onto your gun is not the same as trying that with a UBGL, or a turret on a vehicle.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Feb 26 2011, 10:57 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 26 2011, 07:34 PM) *
I agree: looking stupid and having things imperfectly mounted/calibrated/secured are not trivial concerns in this situation, but a vest with lots of little pockets is just good sense. PAN means not worrying where anything is.

It does depends on the the mod. Duct taping a flashlight onto your gun is not the same as trying that with a UBGL, or a turret on a vehicle.

Yeah, too bad the Union Aerospace Corporation had to cancel all duct tape shipment to their Mars facility because of cuts on the budget...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 26 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Feb 26 2011, 06:57 PM) *
Yeah, too bad the Union Aerospace Corporation had to cancel all duct tape shipment to their Mars facility because of cuts on the budget...

Yeah, those chainsaws they sent by mistake weren't cheap.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Feb 26 2011, 11:35 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (Hound @ Feb 26 2011, 05:20 PM) *
And it's not like having a signal jammer on your helmet is really going to be that much better any better at all than having a signal jammer in your pocket.

Fixed that for you.

But seriously, that's what standalone hardware is for. You can't incorporate it into a piece of armor, so you carry an extra gizmo around with you. I'm on board with enforcing carrying capacity for players who abuse it, though.

+Quote Post
Vegetaman
post Feb 26 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,421

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 26 2011, 05:12 PM) *

Hey, at least they remembered to send gas! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Feb 27 2011, 12:09 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 26 2011, 08:12 PM) *

I would still prefer the duct tape though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Feb 27 2011, 08:55 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 21,972

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Feb 26 2011, 04:09 PM) *
I would still prefer the duct tape though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Can't fix a leak with a chainsaw.

+Quote Post
braincraft
post Feb 27 2011, 02:38 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 4,866

QUOTE (ggodo @ Feb 27 2011, 08:55 AM) *

Then you're not doing it right.

+Quote Post
Vegetaman
post Feb 27 2011, 05:00 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,421

QUOTE (ggodo @ Feb 27 2011, 02:55 AM) *

Yeah, and you can't fix zombies with duct tape... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Feb 27 2011, 05:29 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 19,228

QUOTE (Vegetaman @ Feb 27 2011, 06:00 PM) *
Yeah, and you can't fix zombies with duct tape... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

What you can do, however, is stick it to the man.

+Quote Post
capt.pantsless
post Feb 28 2011, 02:13 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,032

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Feb 26 2011, 04:13 PM) *
So you've got a helmet that you've filled the capacity on....and you want a signal jammer....so you duct tape it to the exterior of the helmet. Does anyone see a problem with this or other similar situations?

Remember that something external to the helmet/armor will be more vulnerable to damage. I.e. if a HE grenade goes off nearby, anything kludged to the outside will stand a good chance of damage, whereas internal stuff generally gets a pass.

+Quote Post
Game2BHappy
post Feb 28 2011, 02:15 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,355

I think the real limit for the gadget-themed character is the number of active commlink subscriptions you can maintain at once.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Feb 28 2011, 02:26 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Capacity is a measure of how much of something can be built into something, duct taping something onto something isn't built in, but it does look ugly and is unprotected. Also, duct taping a flashlight to a gun barrel is questionable, from what I understand, gun barrels are hot, and duct tape fairs remarkably poorly to heat, having a build in flashlight would work better...and wouldn't risk falling off if you glitch.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 28 2011, 03:38 AM
Post #18

Advocatus Diaboli

While that could be true, we should also remember that 'duct taping a flashlight to a gun barrel' is just a metaphor covering a range of modifications. In that range, you'll find literal duct tape and literal gun barrels, but also gecko-grip, non-barrel gun parts, etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Feb 28 2011, 03:45 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (TheOOB @ Feb 27 2011, 08:26 PM) *
...and wouldn't risk falling off if you glitch.

Apparently our definitions of what kind of effects a glitch include are drastically different.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 28 2011, 03:47 AM
Post #20

Advocatus Diaboli

That's well within the normal bounds, especial of a critical glitch. Probably one of the least bad things that could happen, and who even needs a flashlight in SR? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Feb 28 2011, 04:38 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

(Scene: a shadowrunner team starts gearing up for the run, when Sully the Dwarven Street Sam casually glances over at Bongo the Troll....& notices something odd....)

Sully: "Bongo?"
Bongo: "Yeah, Sully?"
Sully: "Is that....a roll of duct-tape on your belt?"
Bongo: "Yeah. Why you askin'?"
Sully: "Just thought it strange, even for you."
Bongo: "Well, like my granny used ta say, bettah t'have it an' not need it, then t'not have it an' want it."
Sully: "Same principle as a condom, huh?"
Bongo (confused): "Whut's a condom?"
Sully (bows & shakes his head): "Never mind, Bongo."

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Feb 28 2011, 05:07 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Feb 27 2011, 11:45 PM) *
Apparently our definitions of what kind of effects a glitch include are drastically different.

A makeshift modification harmlessly falling off isn't glitch material for you? What is? Stubbing your toe? Glitches are supposed to suck, not be disastrous, but suck. I seem to remember a gun jamming and taking a simple action to fix is a glitch material, so a taped on item falling off would seem to fall in line with that. A critical glitch would be you shooting your foot while drawing the thing.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Feb 28 2011, 05:09 AM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Whoosh! That's the sound of my response flying over your head.

You have it ass-backwards; a flashlight accessory falling off a weapon is a possibility for a glitch. Hence, you know, me quoting that part of your comment. Glitches aren't limited to the redneckification of a weapon.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 28 2011, 05:16 AM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

Sigh, always the needless condescension. In fact, TheOOB said "built-in" (in translation, heh). That's not a flashlight "accessory", and it can't fall off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 28 2011, 05:22 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Why are all the old tales of "Hillbilly Armor" for HMMWVs coming to my mind right now?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.