Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ghosts, What are they?
Tashiro
post Feb 28 2011, 08:12 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,847

So, I've got a character in this campaign with a bit of a weird background, and I'm trying to make sure things are on the up-and-up. Specifically, the character was part of a matched set, and his sister died. We have his sister haunting / possessing him, and so far we're using the Free Spirit character rules, which works reasonably well (Free Guardian Spirit). But the thing is -- is that the most appropriate out of the mix? It sort of fits with Shinto -- once a person dies, if you perform proper rites they become ancestor kami and don't go to the underworld, but I'm wondering how this works in 4E.

Specifically, I don't see any rules for ghosts in 4E so far -- or am I just being blind as a bat?

So, are ghosts now just a type of specific spirit? I'm wondering -- if ghosts are, then fine. If they aren't, I can half-imagine a free spirit deciding to take on the form of his deceased sister as either part of some elaborate plot, or out of sympathy, or something else. He's openly willing to let her possess him, and I can see a free spirit using this to their advantage, but I'm curious about the actual 'canon' rules for ghosts in 4E.

Opinions welcome.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Feb 28 2011, 08:17 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

They are mentioned in Running Wild, they're separate from spirits and are mostly "monsters" to be used against PCs, I think.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 28 2011, 08:58 AM
Post #3

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

They are confused Watcher Spirits that could not find the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Lansdren
post Feb 28 2011, 09:16 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,848

I think they have generally avoided saying what happens to someones spirit (little s) when they die as that gets a tad religeous. Spirits (big S) are many things and could possibly be related to the other ones, or not.

Not a very good answer but its tricky to discuss this without stepping on peoples metaphysical toes.

Personally I would go down the route of all Spirits (big S) are drawn from the metaplanes and as such are not the embodiedment of someone who has died.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Feb 28 2011, 11:20 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

It is possible within what's known of SR's spirits that one spirit gets 'imprinted' with some dead person's memories. It's one of the current theories that's attempting to explain ghosts (or ghost-like phenomenons) without opening too much of a can of religious and methapysical worms.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Feb 28 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

I think it's an issue of not wanting to step on any religious toes. But ghosts in Running Wild and Ghosts in the machine as well, Unwired. GM's call. In the past I always ran it as ghost being an imprint of the person and not the person. With 4th edition I've changed my thoughts on that some.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Feb 28 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Real ghosts in SR have been neither confirmed nor denied. There aren't any rules for them.

For some interesting ideas about how ghosts might influence SR, check out the Orpheus game line.

+Quote Post
Tashiro
post Feb 28 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,847

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Feb 28 2011, 11:13 AM) *
Real ghosts in SR have been neither confirmed nor denied. There aren't any rules for them.

For some interesting ideas about how ghosts might influence SR, check out the Orpheus game line.

They had rules for ghosts in SR1, but have since put them on the wayside, which is somewhat annoying. Ahh, and Running Wild. I had tried to find 'ghost' in the index and didn't find anything. Got it now, thanks!

+Quote Post
Belvidere
post Feb 28 2011, 05:51 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,413

The way I'd run a ghost is the same as that of the way ghosts "work" in The Dresden Files novels and now the RPG. Ghosts are a person phsycic imprint on the Nevernever. Or in shadowrun's case, The Metaplanes. Maybe only awakened people can become ghosts because only they can affect the metaplanes, or maybe all it takes is a powerful enough emotion. So that "imprint" could manifest as a spirit of his sister, with her dyuing thoughts and feelings, so probably to protect her brother in the way it works with your story. So then, he could abuse her because it would go out of the imprints "thoughts".

+Quote Post
Mr Clock
post Feb 28 2011, 09:32 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,303

I am was certain there were rules for ghosts somewhere...but my research is a bust. I have found http://rpg.divnull.com/srun/apparitions.html but of course, this isn't canon. I would go with what Manunancy suggests, a spirit imprinted with at least the memories, if not the mind, of a deceased metahuman. Why? How? Such are the mysteries. Roll it as a free spirit, and enjoy the story.

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Feb 28 2011, 11:50 PM
Post #11

Runner

QUOTE (Thanee @ Feb 28 2011, 04:58 PM) *
They are confused Watcher Spirits that could not find the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So...they're just normal Watcher Spirits then? Cuz those things couldn't find their way out of a paper bag! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

<rimshot>

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Mar 1 2011, 01:38 AM
Post #12

Runner

QUOTE (Mr Clock @ Mar 1 2011, 05:32 AM) *
I am was certain there were rules for ghosts somewhere...but my research is a bust. I have found http://rpg.divnull.com/srun/apparitions.html but of course, this isn't canon. I would go with what Manunancy suggests, a spirit imprinted with at least the memories, if not the mind, of a deceased metahuman. Why? How? Such are the mysteries. Roll it as a free spirit, and enjoy the story.

read Running Wild

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Mar 1 2011, 09:57 AM
Post #13

Runner

"Things that look like ghosts" pop up now and then, but they can't be proven to be actual ghosts. And it's better that way; if you had to worry about the ghosts of security guards witnessing against runners...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 1 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Mar 1 2011, 05:57 AM) *
"Things that look like ghosts" pop up now and then, but they can't be proven to be actual ghosts. And it's better that way; if you had to worry about the ghosts of security guards witnessing against runners...

In some countries, you do.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Mar 1 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #15

Runner

Yeah, called "backwards countries" by the books.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that the game becomes very different if dead people manifest as ghosts more than once in a blue moon. At that point you could kill people and then Bind them in order to interrogate them, for example. Eliminating witnesses without a mage becomes infeasible. Quite a game-changer, and you should make sure you like that direction.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 1 2011, 01:09 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 17,589

Well, ghosts can help in finding other evidence, beside just their witness.

In what comes to spirits (of man, especially), I believe Core goes into some depth on it: they might seem like the real dead people, but nobody can explain why and whether they are actually their souls, or just some kind of psychic imprint.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 1 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Mar 1 2011, 07:57 AM) *
Yeah, called "backwards countries" by the books.

By op-eds from countries that don't allow magic to be used at all in the court of law. Ever. Who is backward now?

It's actually used by countries that have strong ties to Ancestor Worship, IIRC. Free Spirits can also give testimony, serve on juries, and even be judges in countries with strong magical ties. (Some members of the NAN, Amazonia, Etc.).

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Mar 1 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #18

Runner

Well, I don't think ghost witnesses would be a good thing. So far, there's no real indication what exactly ghosts are, but it doesn't appear like they are the actual souls of the departed. The "imprinting" may or may not be accurate - nobody really knows. So it makes a very unreliable witness; it can't be established for certain who the witness is!

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 1 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

OK, you go about insulting the religion of the Judge to his face. That can't go wrong, can it?

It seems that governments are heavily for or against magic in court, with only a very few going the middle ground. Which, considering the "New" nature of magic, is to be expected.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Mar 1 2011, 04:22 PM
Post #20

Runner

Oh, I was thinking we were evaluating the wisdom of spirit testimony from an OOC perspective, my bad. IC you'd be screwed if they think that shedim is grampa.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 1 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Oh, from an OOC perspective, I'm behind you 100%. But I take into consideration all the things going on IC when I post. Sorry if that doesn't come through at times.

My mind works in twisted ways, and I get lost in there all the time. Damned dark.

+Quote Post
MK Ultra
post Mar 1 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 10,324

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Mar 1 2011, 04:52 PM) *
Well, I don't think ghost witnesses would be a good thing. So far, there's no real indication what exactly ghosts are, but it doesn't appear like they are the actual souls of the departed. The "imprinting" may or may not be accurate - nobody really knows. So it makes a very unreliable witness; it can't be established for certain who the witness is!

Dude, ALL kinds of witnesses are extreamly unreliable! Ask 9 bystanders about an accident. You will either get 4 quiet different reports or one and the same (that being the one that was published in the newspaper).

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 1 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Ask five people the same question and you'll get eight different answers. And a fist fight.

But, then again, I grew up in a mining town, so...

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Mar 1 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #24

Runner

Yeah, but at least you can be fairly sure they're (meta)human. Between not-so-reliable humans and spirits of unknown origin, I'll take the humans.

+Quote Post
MK Ultra
post Mar 1 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 10,324

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Mar 1 2011, 06:08 PM) *
Yeah, but at least you can be fairly sure they're (meta)human. Between not-so-reliable humans and spirits of unknown origin, I'll take the humans.

Speciecist (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Seriously though, as far as I remember, aparetions (ghosts that only manifest, like watchers) and specters (ghosts that can physically materialize), have very limited means communicate and are often fixed to certain very restricted patterns of behaviour - they are hardly usefull as witnesses, but may point an investigator to the right (or false) path to uncover some evidence.
Ancestor spirits (guidance) are more easy to communicate with, but their knowledge is very limited. In gameterms, they can use the devination power, to answer questions (usually in a cryptic way) - I guess thatīs whatīs used in some nations like the NAN of Manchuria, aside from actual observations of spirit whitnesses from the astral.

I guess the corps (and thus most of the nation states) dont like it, because manipulating spirits is harder and less reliable, and often requires a mage, which means itīs also more expensive, then manipulating metahuman witnesses (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.