IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WAR! gives us (yet again) more ammunition types, Or: can we combine things without going straight to Munchkin Land?
Kerenshara
post Feb 28 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,166

With the arrival of WAR! we have even more new kinds of ammunition, and I was updating my personal spreadsheets which I use for quick reference, pulling everything from multiple pages and sources and tables, and I noticed something: only a single ammunition feature was listed as being "+" for either Availability or Cost.

I hadn't really considered it in depth before, but with some of the new toys WAR! makes available, I wanted to combine a few things. Since a couple of the firearms call for the High-Power ammunition in their description, does that mean they can't use sensor rounds? Or bullets made from "Special Materials" (read: silver)? And what's to stop somebody from making the round Hollow Point?

OK, so here's the conundrum: How do you adjudicate the Availability and Cost, and how do you delimit legal combinations?

Here's my take on it:

For Availability you have two choices: use the highest of all or do the math and add up all the "net" increases over 2 (the Availability of Standard Ammunition) and the higher of the Freely Available / Restricted / Forbidden tags. Personally, I favor the second choice, making it pretty hard to find RFID-tagged sensor rounds for weapons chambered for High-Power ammunition.

For Cost, you have two similar choices: add up the net Cost increases over standard ammunition, or you could figure out the "cost multiplier" of each modification. The first way is much simpler, but the second reflects the increasing difficulty of packing more "stuff" into each round. For myself, I am inclined to lean towards the second but I'm still on the fence.

Lastly, to determine legal combinations, I think it's good to break the round down into component parts. For simplicity I will call them: Payload, Chaser and Case.

Payload refers to the actual slug being delivered down-range. It would be hard to have a capsule/sensor round because both options take internal volume. Likewise, you can't (effectively) have an Armor-Piercing core in a Hollow-Point round; you're shooting (sic) for different objectives.

Chaser refers to things which don't measurably affect the function of the Payload itself, but still travel down-range to the target WITH the payload. Notably this would include RFID-tagging and Tracer options for automatic fire weapons. I'm not really sure an RFID tag would like being parked next to a tracer incendiary and still be able to perform its job so it's probably best to be an either/or on that.

Last, we have Case. I don't mean things like caseless versus brass, either. I'm referring to just how hard you're pushing the round down the barrel. In particular, I'm thinking of Subsonic, High-Power and Standard. Subsonic uses less propellant, High-Power uses the same amount but of a much higher energy propellant.

So here's my thinking, for what it's worth:

• Select Availability system: Additive or Higher
  • Select Cost system: Additive or Multiplier
  • Break the "ammunitions" into their respective category: Payload, Chaser and Case.
  • Allow one of each category (so up to three total options).
(OK, side note here: I think that weapons chambered for High-Powered ammunition should be able to be switched - say with a complex action or simple action with a Smart-gun - to firing conventional ammunition. The Remington / Bushmaster Adaptive Combat Rifle offers this capability IRL to allow you to select compensated / uncompensated recoil action without having to change ammunition or other parts by turning a valve. Essentially, this is changing the amount of force needed to actuate the loading action of the weapon. It would seem the same logic could apply to the higher recoil-forces of High-Power ammunition. The only way it would be EXCLUSIVE would be if you said it took MORE powder and a bigger casing to hold it, whereas the fluff clearly says it's a SPECIAL KIND of powder. That's how I plan to run it, anyhow. I'm open to argument on this one.)

Thoughts?

-Kerenshara
(Glad to be back. It's been a while.)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 28 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Could you possibly change the font back to normal? It may just be my monitor, but large chunks of monospace fonts are painful to read.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Feb 28 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (James McMurray @ Feb 28 2011, 06:34 PM) *
It may just be my monitor, but large chunks of monospace fonts are painful to read.

It's not your monitor, proportional fonts are one of the greatest boons of computer typesetting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

@Topic, I think it's just too complicated - how many round of high-powered-HP-tracers do I have left, again? For a fluff explaination, special propellant loads require special bullet shapes and thus cannot be mixed and matched with rounds made for regular loads.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Feb 28 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

I don't know. For simplicity sake, Just add the Rounds Availability and Costs together to arrive at the end result. It is the easiest way to go about such things.

So High-Powered APDS Rounds would be 38F Availability, and 250 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) /10 Shots (I think, no books with me currently)

+Quote Post
Mr Clock
post Feb 28 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,303

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 28 2011, 09:08 PM) *
I don't know. For simplicity sake, Just add the Rounds Availability and Costs together to arrive at the end result. It is the easiest way to go about such things.

I like this idea. And retain the option to veto anything you don't like the look of. Ensure any purchases are in relatively small quantities (100 rounds?) and feel free to have particular problem breeds of ammo taken off the market.

"Oh, those high-power armour-piercing incendiary explosive tracer rounds? Sorry chummer, out for the duration. Something about the factory burning down. I can maybe chase up one last box for you...but it'll cost ya."

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 28 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

"You do know those have a tendency to blow up in the chamber, right?"

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 1 2011, 03:15 AM
Post #7

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Mr Clock @ Feb 28 2011, 04:25 PM) *
I like this idea. And retain the option to veto anything you don't like the look of. Ensure any purchases are in relatively small quantities (100 rounds?) and feel free to have particular problem breeds of ammo taken off the market.

"Oh, those high-power armour-piercing incendiary explosive tracer rounds? Sorry chummer, out for the duration. Something about the factory burning down. I can maybe chase up one last box for you...but it'll cost ya."

Indeed...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.