Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nanites, can i get the low down- in small words
Daddy's Litt...
post Mar 4 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,668

I know nanites have been around a while and I will look like a complete dork but beyond saying they are injected micro machines with a limited life span, can someone please tell me, in game terms, what they can do?
Healing? Repair work? Boosting abilities? Supply nutrients or oxygen to go without food/rest/air?
How? What are the game terms?
I know they can kill from the Archology shut down drones.
Could they be used to control someone either through pain pleasure centers or just turn someone into a remote control minion like Trek’s Borg?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 4 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

They do the impossible!

They build AKs that are better than the ones currently out there!

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Mar 4 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

I am afraid this is not helping. Indeed it is answers liek that in the books that motivated me to post the thread here.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 4 2011, 06:07 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Well, from a manufacturing point of view, Nanites are just really tiny industrial drones (You know, like the type that build that Ford Americar you just stole), that can work on nearly a molecular level. They can be factories that fit inside of a truck. For small items, that would be a pick-up truck. For really small items, there are desktop nano-factories. Good quality control at a cheap price, just feed in the raw materials and keep the electricity on. The part that the Corporates nail you on is designs, which they keep a tight reign on and have insane DMR on. Seriously, I think AIs wrote the bloody code.

From a medical point of view, you have everything from simple Nano-Tattoos (Which you can change at a whim) all the way up to brain surgery. Augmentation without surgery or biological modification, or even time in the nutrient tank to recover while your flesh heals around that new cybernetic mount or the stitches around your new bioware heal the flesh between the two and disintegrate.

The details can be found in Augmentation, starting on page 95, taking up a whole chapter.

Does that help better than my usual smart ass comments?

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Mar 4 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

No because that stuff I knew. I am hoping for a little more downand dirty than the sales brochure.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 4 2011, 06:21 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

They're really small machines that work on a molecular level to do whatever you program them to. That's about all there is to Nanites. They're industrial robots built small, Waldos ("Remote Manipulators") on the nano-scale of things for doctors.

They do all the things you mentioned and more. Sorry if I can't give you more than that, because the only crunch we have on them is from Augmentation, with the occasional mention of Nanofaxes in other books.

As for down and dirty, the "Worst Case Scenario" (Grey Goo) is about as dirty as you get. Nanites reproducing themselves for the purpose of reproducing themselves using whatever available materials are in the immediate area, and then spread from there.

Other than that, I'm not sure I understand the question you're asking, and will just shut up now, proving my own stupidity done.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 4 2011, 06:33 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 17,589

Have you read Augmentation? It's pretty comprehensive on what the current gen nanites can do. Has a whole chapter on them.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 4 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 4 2011, 01:21 PM) *
They're really small machines that work on a molecular level to do whatever you program them to. That's about all there is to Nanites. They're industrial robots built small, Waldos ("Remote Manipulators") on the nano-scale of things for doctors.

A remote manipulator, also known as a telefactor, telemanipulator, or waldo (after the short story "Waldo" by Robert A. Heinlein which features a man who invents and uses such devices)

So THAT'S why they're called Waldos. Man, I've been wondering that for a while now.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 4 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Mar 4 2011, 07:14 PM) *
No because that stuff I knew. I am hoping for a little more downand dirty than the sales brochure.

Simple: Magic little robots which paddle around in defiance of Brownian Movement and provide handwaving services for just about everything. Building houses, turning houses into dust, reinforcing neural functions, destroying stuff inside your body, you name it.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Mar 4 2011, 07:13 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Do you have any idea how improbale that is?

+Quote Post
Mr Clock
post Mar 4 2011, 07:13 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,303

What the Baron said. Nanotech as a term is just a thing. It's a tool. You can do an awful lot of awful stuff with it though. For game terms and specific examples, you really do need the books.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Mar 4 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

I tried and got lost, that was why I was looking for translations.
All I got from the books seemed to be written by the marketing division of the Sirus Cybernetics Corporation.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 4 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Mar 4 2011, 02:13 PM) *

Its Applied Phlebotinum.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Mar 4 2011, 07:45 PM
Post #14

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

Nanotech as a concept encompasses far more than most people think. Conceptually, nanotech simply refers to technology being engineered on a nanometer scale. Nothing more, nothing less. This is shit we're using NOW, IRL. So let's keep the term "nanotech" out of the discussion, and focus only on nanites, since they're the applied phelbotinum at hand.

There are two types of nanites in Shadowrun: wet and dry.

Dry nanites are the "tiny robots" variety that many people are referencing. They appear to make up the bulk of the nanites within the game, though not all of them. This includes things like Smart Acids, which dissolve only certain substances, or any of the nanotech cyberware listed in Augmentation - they can enhance brain functions, be the mechanical equivalent of Carcerands, heal wounds, repair cyberware... all that kind of stuff.
Wet nanites are biological nanites: tailored organisms used for particular purposes. They've been in use in Shadowrun since at least 2053, and I suspect earlier, and form an integral part of the Delta and Betaware installation process. They're also the key behind a lot of biologicals, such as broad-spectrum immunization, Binder, AntiBac, and manufactured diseases such as Doom. They're just very rarely referred to as wet nanites, since they probably didn't want to confuse players with seemingly contradictory terms. However, Shadowtech and Cybertechnology both go into how they're used in medical practices.

Neither of these are necessarily the "molecular robots" of transhumanism - they can simply be very, very small. I suspect most nanotech in Shadowrun is definitely NOT molecular scale, because while things can be manufactured using nanites, you can't (for instance) use desktop manufacturing to make diamonds or other raw elements, which should be possible with molecular nanites. While nanites can act at a very small level, they can't apparently act at a molecular or atomic level, at least as *machines*. Nanotech materials can, but that's basically just applied chemisty.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Mar 4 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Mar 4 2011, 01:13 PM) *

I'm confused.

Did you want to know what they are and what they do (as has been told several times, but thrown away because you 'already knew that'), or are you just looking to bicker about them and are trying to be coy about it?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 4 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Mar 4 2011, 03:13 PM) *
Do you have any idea how improbable that is?

Nanotechnology exists in RL right now. It's still at the scientific, "Let's see what we can play with" stage, but it exists.

I think it was, eight years ago, ten? Anyhow, Australian Scientists made a automobile smaller than a Dime that worked on an Internal Combustion Engine.

I just woke up and am not that cognitive at the moment, but here's something from five years ago.

So, no, it's not that improbable.

And Draco, who just found out about Waldos and why they're named that, you're welcome.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Mar 4 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #17

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

I think DLN is commenting on how improbably dry molecular nanites are, not nanomaterials. Small machines built to a molecular scale are great. Machines that manipulate molecules and can be programmed, well. That's something else.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 4 2011, 08:33 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

OK, different thing altogether. I really am confused on the question and really should just shut my damned fool mouth...

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Mar 4 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Mar 4 2011, 04:09 PM) *
I'm confused.

Did you want to know what they are and what they do (as has been told several times, but thrown away because you 'already knew that'), or are you just looking to bicker about them and are trying to be coy about it?

I was responding to the above quopte which had the description :" Simple: Magic little robots which paddle around in defiance of Brownian Movement "
This is drifting into Douglas adams territory.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 4 2011, 09:17 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Mar 4 2011, 04:16 PM) *
I was responding to the above quopte which had the description :" Simple: Magic little robots which paddle around in defiance of Brownian Movement "
This is drifting into Douglas adams territory.

Its Applied Phlebotinum.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 4 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 4 2011, 05:17 PM) *
Its Applied Phlebotinum.

With a touch of Handwavium. Using Unobtainium as a building material.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Mar 4 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

But if you can work out exactly how improbably it is, you can invent the Heart of Gold out of nothing.

More to the point I'm looking for game uses and rules. Cyberware and bioware is well laid out and for the sake of 'grab tech-grunt- run it is just info/ cargo but I am wondering what could be done. And how likely it is to program people with it.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 4 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Mar 4 2011, 04:27 PM) *
And how likely it is to program peopel with it.

Not. You can barely program some nanites, and they have very specific and limited uses. You can't brainwash people with then.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Mar 4 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 4 2011, 05:31 PM) *
Not. You can barely program some nanites, and they have very specific and limited uses. You can't brainwash people with then.

or use them to create/build a controling device.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 4 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Mar 4 2011, 04:39 PM) *
or use them to create/build a controling device.

Such a device (it's a cyber implant called a Stirrup) doesn't work on people.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.