IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another hacking question, how to handle....
Sesix
post Mar 7 2011, 04:45 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,498

I was wondering when my hacker goes on his run to start scooping out nodes and such should I be throwing him into matrix intiative each time? If not how do others gm the whole hacking process?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Mar 7 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #2

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

It depends on how critical things are--if the hacker has triggered an alert, then yes I generally have them in actions and Matrix Initiative. If they are just scanning, sniffing, and probing, then I don't use Initiative.

+Quote Post
Sesix
post Mar 7 2011, 05:04 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Ok that makes sence. So another question then, when the system gets the free scan to see if it detects the intruder is that a threshold of the players Stealth program? Or does he roll his stealth and the system sees if he gets more net hits to detect?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 7 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #4

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

QUOTE (SR4A p236 @ 'Probing the Target')
The target node gets one free Analyze + Firewall (hacker’s Stealth) Test when you first log on with the hacked account. If the node detects you, an alert is triggered (Alerts, p. 238).
That's a simple test with a DP of (Analyze + Firewall) and a Threshold of (hacker's Stealth).

Stealth is rolled as part of an *Opposed* Test for Matrix Perception, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 7 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

It's not an Opposed Test, so the threshold indeed is the intruder's program rating. Note that normal matrix perception tests are Opposed Tests, however. So a spider or IC has a better chance at detecting an intruder.

+Quote Post
Sesix
post Mar 8 2011, 02:03 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

So I need to be throwing IC for security systems more.

That also means most systems out there the hacker is going to break into no matter what with mostly no detection, doesn't it?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 8 2011, 02:10 AM
Post #7

Advocatus Diaboli

It depends, but yes: a solid investment in Stealth means you *usually* won't get detected on the way in.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 8 2011, 06:33 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

QUOTE (Sesix @ Mar 7 2011, 07:03 PM) *

That also means most systems out there the hacker is going to break into no matter what with mostly no detection, doesn't it?

Yeah, kinda depends. Especially if anyone is foolish enough not to have invested in a good quality Analyze program to run 24/7/365.

But don't forget that odd activity from whatever is hacked can also draw unwanted attention. Considering the "Game Set Match" fiction in the SR4a book, IIRC the University hacker only came to check things out the drone Netcat & Slammo! were hacking was acting strangely.

Just because a hacker gets in undetected doesn't mean he can't F-up later by causing something else that will be noticed.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Mar 8 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

Game Set Match has multiple rules violations, and still it's the best we get for an actual example of how hacking works.

As far as I'm concerned, we've been given no full system of matrix rules, just a bunch of matrix suggestions.

There needs to be a book that tells players, "this is how you ____" so that there can be actual codification.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Mar 8 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #10

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

What would really be nice would be examples of several different kinds of nodes, the operations they contain at what access levels, and the agents they run.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 8 2011, 11:48 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Sesix @ Mar 8 2011, 03:03 AM) *

Well, there's a reason why the most secure systems are called glaciers, icebergs, or other IC-y allegories. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And in every decently secured system, the node accessible from the outside will merely be a gateway from which other nodes can be accessed. Only an intruder who gets past the gatekeepers in that node can gain any value from his intrusion.

@Sithney: Examples of those violations?

+Quote Post
Mr Clock
post Mar 8 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,303

I found this very helpful in thinking about how to lay out a Matrix system:

http://pavao.org/shadowrun/miscellany/example_matrix.pdf

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 8 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Mar 8 2011, 03:07 AM) *
Game Set Match has multiple rules violations, and still it's the best we get for an actual example of how hacking works.

Yeah, I know that from another thread discussion on the Nuke attack program, the same kind Slammo! uses on the university hacker.

But the point I was trying to make was that detecting a hacker's activity isn't necessarily going to be limited to just the Analyze program. If odd information starts popping up on your AROs, or that security drone has been standing in one spot for too long rather than moving on in its patrol, it could be a hacker at work. Granted software/hardware malfunctions are also possible, but a hacker still cannot be ruled out, and either way will still garner the attention of a living security person.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Mar 8 2011, 09:30 PM
Post #14

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

The Runner's Toolkit will have the Anatomy of a Shadowrun. That should be very helpful for understanding how the rules and fiction come together.

+Quote Post
noonesshowmonkey
post Mar 9 2011, 04:26 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,125

Any decent node that holds information of consequence (ie paydata) should have at least one IC that runs 24/7 and is loaded with a high rating Analyze program. Load the same IC with Track and Stealth and you have a nasty little IC capable of calling friends in on the hunt.

In an old thread, I designed a few IC that I thought were appropriate for various tasks a node might be interested in. Used in combination, my Ares U-Boat and Neonet Beagle Probe IC are quite devastating. The Probe can ID an incoming hacker and begin a trace-route while calling in a wolf-pack of several U-Boats.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 9 2011, 04:28 AM
Post #16

Advocatus Diaboli

There are also IC examples in Unwired. Convenient, if less optimized.

+Quote Post
Sesix
post Mar 10 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

ok so whats the limit on the program rating a bit of IC can use?

+Quote Post
noonesshowmonkey
post Mar 10 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 8 2011, 11:28 PM) *
There are also IC examples in Unwired. Convenient, if less optimized.

Theres a few things in Unwired which look an awful lot like that document I made.

+Quote Post
noonesshowmonkey
post Mar 10 2011, 12:28 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Sesix @ Mar 9 2011, 07:23 PM) *
ok so whats the limit on the program rating a bit of IC can use?

The Pilot rating of an Agent limits the highest rating of a program that can be loaded as payload.

+Quote Post
Mr Clock
post Mar 10 2011, 01:45 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

And as the IC has to run on the node it's in, the maximum rating of any of its programs is equal to the node's System.

+Quote Post
Sesix
post Mar 10 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mr Clock @ Mar 9 2011, 08:45 PM) *
And as the IC has to run on the node it's in, the maximum rating of any of its programs is equal to the node's System.

Which is limited by the response of the device? Or as Im reading it, the device can still have a high system, but with a low response the system = the response of that node. And if that is the case, why ever have a system higher then your response?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 10 2011, 07:39 PM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

I'm not sure if you're even allowed to run an over-high System (with the intent of it auto-scaling down), although it's not really a dangerous abuse to do so. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Just a technicality.

+Quote Post
Mr Clock
post Mar 10 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Sesix: you are correct. The only reason I can see for having System higher than the Response would be to plan ahead in case of upgrades or System-degrading attacks.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Mar 11 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 10 2011, 08:39 PM) *
I'm not sure if you're even allowed to run an over-high System (with the intent of it auto-scaling down), although it's not really a dangerous abuse to do so. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Just a technicality.

It specifically says in SR4A that system scales down to the base Response of the node.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 11 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #25

Advocatus Diaboli

Ah, well there you go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I thought it might say that System was *limited* to it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.