IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun MMO announced, who saw THAT coming?!
Naysayer
post Mar 8 2011, 05:56 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,326

So right out of the blue, some Austrians announced that they have bought the Shadowrun video-game license and are planning to develop a MMO. So, yay, I guess.
Press release, and also kudos to sirdoom (german freelancer guru) for the scoop.
For those that don't parlez le Deutsch, it basically boils down to "Bla bla, excited and happy, bla, MMO, bla, still looking for financing, bla, it'll be der awensomem, nein?!"

Interesting tidbit 1: Shadowrun is "the third-largest PnP RPG license worldwide". Sure, why not.
Interesting tidbit 2: They seem to have had Jordan Weisman take a look at their conception and he was "happy and excited". So, that.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 8 2011, 06:14 AM
Post #2

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Cliffhanger is actively seeking partners for financing and distributing their online-game, scheduled to be released in 2012.

Uh, oh, not having high hopes for that one...

A good MMO takes several years to develop and a HUGE company and massive amounts of $$$.

But there is still hope, I guess...

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 8 2011, 06:35 AM
Post #3

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

The company has been around for a while now and has worked on Spellforce 2, Risen, and other games (click at "Referenzen"), so maybe they have a solid game engine and a good reputation (what will make it easier for them to collect money from investors).

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 8 2011, 08:31 AM
Post #4

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Well, if they really plan on releasing it in 2012 and they just announced that they started working on it, it's going to be a rush job.
Probably not much more than a mod on one of their earlier games i guess.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 8 2011, 08:51 AM
Post #5

jacked in

Yeah, it will just be a clone of the typical MMO concept and not something that does the license justice (most likely).

I might be a bit pessimistic here (and I am typically a very optimistic person (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ), but that is what I expect.

Maybe they are super-dedicated fans and have been working on a concept for years already... but how likely is that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 8 2011, 09:16 AM
Post #6

The ShadowComedian

i'm still angry about the SRO being canceled <.<
they had SUCH nice design ideas . .

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 8 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Grinder @ Mar 8 2011, 07:35 AM) *
The company has been around for a while now and has worked on Spellforce 2, Risen, and other games (click at "Referenzen"), so maybe they have a solid game engine and a good reputation (what will make it easier for them to collect money from investors).

Would be interesting to know what the "External Producing" for those games was...but at least some experience with RPGs seems to there.

But who lists the o the disaster that was Gothic 3 as a reference? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 8 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 8 2011, 05:16 AM) *

That's what happens when you work on something with asking permission. Lawyers aren't big on that "It's better to ask forgiveness than permission" thing when you're working on a concept project to propose to someone for some reason.

No wonder everyone wants to start with killing all the lawyers. (I'm sure the lawyers that post here are just the same as the rest of us. Bastards the lot of you! Same as me!).

As for me, I'm just happy to see M$ away from the license with what they did with it.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 8 2011, 03:21 PM
Post #9

The ShadowComedian

*nods*
there is that.

+Quote Post
Sixgun_Sage
post Mar 8 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,783

I'm putting on my optimist hat to say... maybe, just maybe they got the rights with a proof of concept showcase, I hope so atleast. It would make a decent game so much more likely though with that shipping schedule the initial release WILL have bugs.

+Quote Post
Fringe
post Mar 8 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,170

QUOTE (Naysayer @ Mar 8 2011, 12:56 AM) *
Interesting tidbit 1: Shadowrun is "the third-largest PnP RPG license worldwide". Sure, why not.
Interesting tidbit 2: They seem to have had Jordan Weisman take a look at their conception and he was "happy and excited". So, that.

As long as the business model doesn't require WoW-level subscriber numbers to stay up. It seems like too many MMOs expect they're going to take on WoW at launch, and when they can't they start folding within a year or two. On the other side, the performance of the big-name MMOs also inflates gamers' expectations of how shiny a new game "should" look, how well the system "should" perform, and how good the support "should" be, because "WoW can handle this." In other words, it's hard to build and maintain a good game and its subscriber base.

WoW is the 800-pound gorilla of the MMO community. As guesses, I'd put forth as second-tier games like Star Trek Online and DC Universe Online (though DCUO just launched recently); each of these probably has an order of magnitude smaller subscriber base (best case scenarios). And each of these is at least an order of magnitude larger than Shadowrun as far as intellectual property and potential subscriber base; I wouldn't expect that to change significantly with a Shadowrun MMO. So where WoW has 7-8 million subscribers (last I'd heard), the SR MMO needs to be profitable with about 70,000 subscribers at most...and perhaps closer to 20,000. Granted, these numbers are guesses, but the expectations need to be managed well on both sides (corporate and customer) for this to succeed.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 8 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

Anybody follow the death of Final Fantasy XIV ?

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Mar 8 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 8 2011, 11:17 AM) *
Anybody follow the death of Final Fantasy XIV ?

I heard it was dead from conception.

+Quote Post
Mr. Mage
post Mar 14 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,317

QUOTE (Naysayer @ Mar 8 2011, 01:56 AM) *

So what's #1 and #2?

Mixed feelings about an SR MMO. On the one hand: "AWESOME!!!!"
on the other: I'm not sure it would translate well.

When I think of a multiplayer Shadowrun Video Game, i think of a cross between Gears of War and Assassin's creed, with added functions for hacking and magic. Add in a multiplayer function, random or pre-generated missions (or possibly a method of actually designing a mission, sort of a GM role), and make all characters customizable based on a sort of XP system (basically Karma).

You could even make it like an MMO in the way Guild Wars did, where you have a main city where you can talk to lots of different people, but each mission is instanced to your group (unless you do something with PvP).

That is a game I'd like to see on the console. Get some buddies on Xbox live and do a 'Run. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Mar 14 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #15

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

D&D and White Wolf.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 16 2011, 09:33 AM
Post #16

jacked in

Or Warhammer Fantasy (according to ICv2 at least, it is currently (well last numbers are from Q3 2010) right behind D&D and Pathfinder in sales, who share the #1 spot).

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Apr 3 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #17

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 8 2011, 05:16 AM) *

Weird, I just checked out the website for the 'other' fan-created SR MMO, Shadowrun: Awakened, and they seem to still be in development.

It appears MS hasn't noticed them yet?

-k

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 3 2011, 02:12 PM
Post #18

The ShadowComedian

Awakened MMO is NOT SRO.
SRO was here:
http://www.shadowrunmmo.com/
aaah, sorry, i overread the 'other' in there . . and yes, it seems M$ has not noticed them yet . .

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 3 2011, 03:18 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

M$ doesn't hold the license any longer, it's another company that does. Smith & Tinker or some such.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 3 2011, 05:09 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

Smith and Tinker, yes, and i don't think they have found this one either as of yet . .
Furthermore, i wonder what would have happened, if they had found SRO back then or now that they have the license . .
One of the Guys doing Work on the MW3015(MW5) Game actually came over to us on MWLL and is playing with us from time to time.

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Apr 4 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,309

MMO? I am not holding out much hope unless its is "MMO" the way Guild Wars or Love (yes, there is a Indy Dev MMO [seriously, made by one person to boot] called Love) is a MMO. I pretty much don't even bother with anything subscription based, I have enough bills in my life while trying to make ends meet, thanks. And I found WoW to be boring when I did the trial period.

Oh well, at least they have announced they are giving it a go, more than can be said of others with this IP in the past.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 4 2011, 06:19 PM
Post #22

The ShadowComedian

Actually, SRO is going to be a browser game it seems <.<
Edit:
A Browsergame.
And on the german boards we just stumbled upon/over/into one of the lines below the pictures in the german article about the game . .
"A GAME THAT COMBINES FANTASY AND STEAMPUNK" . . yeah, let's cut off right there and forget about the whole thing . .

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Apr 9 2011, 03:09 AM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

I'd settle for a decent RPG or even an action-shooter-RPG thing like Mass Effect.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Apr 9 2011, 03:48 AM
Post #24

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 4 2011, 08:19 PM) *
Actually, SRO is going to be a browser game it seems <.<
Edit:
A Browsergame.
And on the german boards we just stumbled upon/over/into one of the lines below the pictures in the german article about the game . .
"A GAME THAT COMBINES FANTASY AND STEAMPUNK" . . yeah, let's cut off right there and forget about the whole thing . .

If you would have finished reading the whole thread you'd noticed that it was revealed to be a mistake by the game magazine, not the game company. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohplease.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 9 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #25

The ShadowComedian

i'm a pessimist at whatever is left of my blackened heart . .

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.