Closed TopicStart new topic
> Critters PDF
Prime Mover
post Mar 8 2011, 03:51 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

New 30 critters PDF appears to be in proofing. Cactus Cat? Will we see the missing entries from Running Wild?

Facebook: "Just got a Parazoology proof--that means we'll press to get it in all of your virtual hands soon! Thirty new critters for your enjoyment."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 8 2011, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 17,589

Well, let's hope for the best.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 8 2011, 04:57 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

Meh, the truly good parts of RW are those which are not simply lists of creatures...although if you need some animal opposition besides guard dogs and devil rats, those lists are good for at least a dozen different runs without evr using a creature twice.

So if I understand this correctly to be just a list of 30 paracritters, it's missing the good parts of RW and is carrying coals to Newcastle. Wake me up if they release something like "30 Goon Squads", a comprehensive list of those would be a nice addition.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 8 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #4

Runner

QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 8 2011, 07:57 PM) *
Meh, the truly good parts of RW are those which are not simply lists of creatures...although if you need some animal opposition besides guard dogs and devil rats, those lists are good for at least a dozen different runs without evr using a creature twice.
Heh, I once had a couple of barghests almost strangle an overconfident sammy - first paralyze him, and then grapple for a bunch of net hits.
So, using paranormals can be fun, just to add a little surprise to the run.

QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 8 2011, 07:57 PM) *
So if I understand this correctly to be just a list of 30 paracritters, it's missing the good parts of RW and is carrying coals to Newcastle. Wake me up if they release something like "30 Goon Squads", a comprehensive list of those would be a nice addition.
Pah, if those have the statblock like those in the Core, frankly, in most cases you're better of statting them up yourself. Unless, of course, you use the pregenned gimps for PCs, too.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Mar 8 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,686

Abram's Lobster will be included!!! *squeals like a girl* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Mar 9 2011, 02:29 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Note to self order 50 gallon drum of butter and order an extra gross of bibs.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 9 2011, 04:25 AM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

I wish they'd add Gills to poor parafishes first.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 9 2011, 04:32 AM
Post #8

Runner

QUOTE (toturi @ Mar 9 2011, 07:25 AM) *
I wish they'd add Gills to poor parafishes first.
Errata? That's just being unreasonable in your expectations.

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Mar 9 2011, 04:57 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Mar 9 2011, 04:39 AM) *
Abram's Lobster will be included!!! *squeals like a girl* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Mar 9 2011, 10:29 AM) *
Note to self order 50 gallon drum of butter and order an extra gross of bibs.

D&D manual a long time ago had a "scary" encounter with some giant crawfish. Being from the South, instead of being scared the players just licked their lips and tried to figure out how to fireball the water to boiling...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 9 2011, 04:58 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Mar 8 2011, 04:39 PM) *

Looks like my Marty Sue... Er, favorite NPC is going fishing again.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 9 2011, 10:48 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 8 2011, 06:03 PM) *
Pah, if those have the statblock like those in the Core, frankly, in most cases you're better of statting them up yourself. Unless, of course, you use the pregenned gimps for PCs, too.

They work well enough if you need a couple of nameless henchmen or other folks with a small role. For bigger and more important folks, NPCs from adventures or adventure ideas still are a good a starting point, or can be transplanted directly if the players do something you didn't think of and you need NPCs quickly.

Problem is, when taking something from any book you still have to draw at least condition monitors, stat blocks and important equipment. If I could just print out a couple of record sheets instead, like they have in the CBT books, I'd definitely buy it.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Mar 9 2011, 12:50 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 948

You want some extra critters with that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=32249

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Mar 11 2011, 08:24 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 18,391

Everyone makes the joke about eating the para lobsters (( even the guy in the book they first appeared in)) What stuck with me more, was that someone had taught them to jump and they aimed for the nuts with those giant claws and started cutting a guy apart from the crotch upwards... .

THAT ruins the joke every time and the male players at your table will cross thier legs.

If they're still laughing... Make the thing DO it. You snip a few of their..... lobster baits, and they'll respect your para-critters.

Edit: As a side note, Paranormal Animals of NA is what really got me into Shadowrun.

I had a few books before that but didn't get INTO it till i read Paranormal Animals of NA and the Shadow talk along with the animals there. Still one of the best books they've ever put out.

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Mar 11 2011, 08:30 AM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 11 2011, 04:24 PM) *
Everyone makes the joke about eating the para lobsters (( even the guy in the book they first appeared in)) What stuck with me more, was that someone had taught them to jump and they aimed for the nuts with those giant claws and started cutting a guy apart from the crotch upwards... .

THAT ruins the joke every time and the male players at your table will cross thier legs.

If they're still laughing... Make the thing DO it. You snip a few of their..... lobster baits, and they'll respect your para-critters.

Edit: As a side note, Paranormal Animals of NA is what really got me into Shadowrun.

I had a few books before that but didn't get INTO it till i read Paranormal Animals of NA and the Shadow talk along with the animals there. Still one of the best books they've ever put out.

It's funny until it happens to you

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Mar 11 2011, 09:54 PM
Post #15

Running Target

For those of you cheering the lobster, the PDF is up for sale today and the 'preview" At Drivethrough shows the page for the lobster.

The art for the pdf... is...... Lacking. And no shadow talk (( which was 95% of the fun on the old books)) but it looks all in all nice.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 11 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #16

Runner

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 11 2011, 11:24 AM) *

That's a silly idea on several levels.
First, once you go for the crotch, the games tend to stray, eh, let's just say in wrong direction, and it gets weird very fast.
Second, with the armor and called shot rules, the lobsters are not that likely to hit, much less deal serious injury.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 11 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Wait, let me get this straight...

No Shadowtalk...

In a Shadowrun item?

OK, I'm now officially slotted off. *Looks at preview myself* OK, seriously, whafrag?

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Mar 11 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Ok I've not bought it (yet. probably will. I'm a sucker) but looking at the preview, it shows 7 pages of critters, and none of them have Shadowtalk on them. The artwork is.... Juvinile. Like.. from my 10 year old 'Draw me a lobster" ok "Draw me a ghost horse'

It might have shadow talk or something after the individual entries but that seems counter intuitive.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 11 2011, 10:36 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 11 2011, 10:54 PM) *
The art for the pdf... is...... Lacking.

Yuck...and regardless of the content, why on earth the resolution from the 56k age?

PS: And the 1337 protip to CGL, "technical" images like the jackpoint login are a great opportunity to use vector graphics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 11 2011, 10:57 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

This makes me want to go into my corner, rock back and forth, and gibber madly.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 11 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #21

Runner

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 12 2011, 01:25 AM) *
Ok I've not bought it (yet. probably will. I'm a sucker) but looking at the preview, it shows 7 pages of critters, and none of them have Shadowtalk on them. The artwork is.... Juvinile. Like.. from my 10 year old 'Draw me a lobster" ok "Draw me a ghost horse'
Pah, can't you see the signature on the images? "Kat Hardy, age 11".

Actually, it seems she wrote the text, too.
Colaptes Aurum.
Hunters and bird watchers have reported becoming lost and have a high frequency of accidental deaths when engaged in pursuit [of the bird].
Powers: Confusion, Magic Sense, Natural Weapon
No Accident.

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Mar 11 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Ok. I looked again. The art isn't really 10 year old level. Some of it is ok. But I think making it full color is where it got kinda messed up. I've seen worse. Palladium has a few artists that do far worse. Kent Brules? *Shudders*

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 11 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. Astaroth, Beelzebub, Asmodeus, Baphomet, Lucifer, Loki, Satan, Lilith, Hela! Blood to you all! And the sun will rise in the north! No, the northwest! For forty-four days and sixty-seven nights! And we'll never notice!"

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 11 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 12 2011, 12:01 AM) *
Pah, can't you see the signature on the images? "Kat Hardy, age 11".

Hehe, good one...that's what I thought, then I opened the preview again to see if I could make out the actual artist's signature....

Although for an 11 year old, it would be some great art.

PS: Did some googling and found this lady

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 12 2011, 12:28 AM
Post #25

Runner

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 12 2011, 02:16 AM) *
Ok. I looked again. The art isn't really 10 year old level. Some of it is ok. But I think making it full color is where it got kinda messed up. I've seen worse. Palladium has a few artists that do far worse. Kent Brules? *Shudders*
Well, judging by preview, it's bad enough in some pictures for me never to buy the thing, minding also the quality of material and the lack of shadowtalk.

QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 12 2011, 02:32 AM) *
Hehe, good one...that's what I thought, then I opened the preview again to see if I could make out the actual artist's signature....
That's the actual signature. Well, except for the "age" bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:07 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.