IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Probable Glitch, How likely is a glitch?
graymagiker
post Mar 10 2011, 03:16 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,286

All,

I am sure this is neither the first nor last time this has been discussed, but I thought I would offer my efforts to solve this problem. Since it involves some math symbols I'll just put a link here. Any constructive feedback is welcome.

See Here

Edit :: Changed the last equation to be what it should be from the previous steps. Changed 'floor' function to 'ceiling' because I was tired and buzzed when I wrote the original draft. This doesn't change the logic, just makes the right number of dice needed for a glitch with odd numbers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Mar 10 2011, 03:37 PM
Post #2

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

Combinatorics for the win.

+Quote Post
graymagiker
post Mar 10 2011, 05:31 PM
Post #3

Target

Slight error fixed in the very last equation. Denominator and numerator of the fraction needed to be switched.

+Quote Post
capt.pantsless
post Mar 10 2011, 06:12 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,032

Now for the lightning round: Calculate the probability of a CRITICAL Glitch. Go. You are being timed.

+Quote Post
graymagiker
post Mar 10 2011, 07:12 PM
Post #5

Target

Well it seems pretty easy given the representation I was using for combinations. I was going to leave that as 'an exercise for the reader'. But really that's just an excuse to justify the length of time I took trying to complete the lightening round.

http://twilighteve.com/sr-glitch/crit.xml

+Quote Post
capt.pantsless
post Mar 10 2011, 07:35 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (graymagiker @ Mar 10 2011, 01:12 PM) *
Well it seems pretty easy given the representation I was using for combinations. I was going to leave that as 'an exercise for the reader'. But really that's just an excuse to justify the length of time I took trying to complete the lightening round.

http://twilighteve.com/sr-glitch/crit.xml

QUOTE (graymagiker)
This means that there are no 6s rolled, and the roll is a glitch.

Ummm, a hit is a 5 OR a 6. You have officially failed the Lightning Round. Unless of course this was some sort of test of reading comprehension left for the reader, in which case: Touché Sir, Touché.

+Quote Post
graymagiker
post Mar 11 2011, 02:49 AM
Post #7

Target

No, I failed it fair and square; though it might explain why my players complain their characters always fail their test when they roll dice.

Page has been updated to reflect the actual rules of SR.

+Quote Post
capt.pantsless
post Mar 11 2011, 03:31 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

By the way, I didn't mean to send you on a wild goose-chase or anything - I was joking about the 'lightning round' bit.

Either way, it's cool to see the odds formalized like that.

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Mar 11 2011, 03:41 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

QUOTE (capt.pantsless @ Mar 11 2011, 11:31 AM) *
By the way, I didn't mean to send you on a wild goose-chase or anything - I was joking about the 'lightning round' bit.

Way to tell him AFTER he does the work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.