> What is Pink Mohawk, Call me stupid but ... and I am serious
PiXeL01
post Mar 17 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,483

I have no idea what this refers to.

Please be kind and exclaim the term to me.

Is it style, big explosions, movie SR or something entirely different?

Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
squee_nabob
post Mar 17 2011, 02:32 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,969

This is a simple definition: It's a play style which has big over the top actions that are unrealistic but highly cinematic. Often associated with early versions of shadowrun where rock-star was a common background.

Example: Breaking into a building

Black Trenchcoat: carefully hack/sneak/socially engineer your way in, take what you want, only fight if you have to.

Pink Mohawk: Blow open the wall with high explosives, shout “Hello <city name>, are you ready to rock?” at the top of your lungs. Write your name in the wall with your assault rifle and take what you want.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Mar 17 2011, 02:34 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,437

Pink mowhawk is a style of game/life.

The players are bigger than life. Everything is etremeley exagerated (guns, women, cars, women, haircuts), etc.

Stealth is for weaklings and bursting into th corp, guns blazing, explosions everywhere is not the only way, is the right way to do it.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Mar 17 2011, 02:39 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

QUOTE (PiXeL01 @ Mar 17 2011, 02:56 PM) *
exclaim the term to me.

"Pink Mohawk!"

... Sorry, couldn't resist

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 17 2011, 02:44 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

It's also a drink you can order at Club Penumbra. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

It's the style of game when RPGs were still newish and people thought of Shadowrun as "D&D with Guns". More Punk, Less Cyber, essentially. Take the first part of "A Clockwork Orange", mix in everything you know about Punk Culture (If you're not old enough to remember Punk when it was real, research!), add in Fantasy Elements... Then pour in RoboCop and The Terminator. Season to taste, and cook at 400 Degrees until the guy in your oven breaks out and punches you in the face.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Mar 17 2011, 04:45 PM
Post #6

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Blade beat me to the punch.

It's loud, exciting, no-holds-barred, style over substance, cranked past 11, surfing the shock wave on the edge of the universe sort of play. It's the sort of game where the runners plan to infiltrate a building, one of them comes to the meet with a pink mohawk, and that's totally okay.

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Mar 17 2011, 04:49 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,309

Here is how I think of it, ever see that movie Smokin' Aces http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475394/ ? Here, if you haven't seen it this youtube vid should help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKh_TDaNUJY

Remember those guys who go in guns a blazin (they are the ones coming out of the elevator from the smoke)? And then you have the others who sneak their way in with varying degrees of success? Pink Mohawk in the guys who go in blazin'. Basicly, if you are bringing attention to your character and that is intentional and over the top extreme, good chance your character is closer to the Pink Mohawk side of the spectrum of dirty deeds done dirt cheap. Ice cold professionals, better they are its a good chance you never even knew they were there and if you did there is little in the way of evidence that can be tracked, so that would be the opposite side of that spectrum. Duke Nukem <---> Sam "Splinter Cell" Fisher.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Mar 17 2011, 04:50 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

You know the Kool-Aid guy? Busting in through the wall going "OH YEAH!"? It's like that... only with more explosions and gunfire... and pink mohawks.

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Mar 17 2011, 04:53 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 21,972

Pink Mohawk is how my PCs trollbow plays. Apparently that's what Uncouth looks like in a Black Trenchcoat campaign.

Of course, my players do live in the basement of the Science Fiction museum, so their trenchcoats aren't all black.

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Mar 17 2011, 05:12 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

Pink mohawk is giving the scientist you extracted from the secure facility a wedgie and wet willie before you hand him over to the Johnson.

+Quote Post
underaneonhalo
post Mar 17 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,736

I agree, the Tremor brothers are the ultimate pink mohawks. Anyone who has not seen Smokin' Aces is missing out on some awesome Shadowrun inspiration.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Mar 17 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 17 2011, 02:44 PM) *
Take the first part of "A Clockwork Orange", mix in everything you know about Punk Culture, add in Fantasy Elements... Then pour in RoboCop and The Terminator. Season to taste, and cook at 400 Degrees until the guy in your oven breaks out and punches you in the face.

Sig'd! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Mar 17 2011, 07:33 PM
Post #13

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

Don't forget to have everyone dress like they're extras in Beyond Thunderdome.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 17 2011, 07:40 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Epicedion @ Mar 17 2011, 02:33 PM) *

Only if that's the style at the time. Try that in Seattle of 2070, and everyone will look at you like you're an idiot. Steampunk is in style right now.

2050s, then, yes, you'd fit right in with the club scene and Sprawlers.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Mar 17 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #15

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 17 2011, 03:40 PM) *
Only if that's the style at the time. Try that in Seattle of 2070, and everyone will look at you like you're an idiot. Steampunk is in style right now.

2050s, then, yes, you'd fit right in with the club scene and Sprawlers.

Aw, no more football pads with spikes on one shoulder?

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Mar 17 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (Epicedion @ Mar 17 2011, 07:33 PM) *

Was that ever a RL style? If so, it needs to be brought back.

+Quote Post
Garou
post Mar 17 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,955

And always remember: In Pink Mohawk Games, cool guys don't look at explosions.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 17 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Garou @ Mar 17 2011, 03:20 PM) *
And always remember: In Pink Mohawk Games, cool guys don't look at explosions.

BULL! (No, not you Bull, sorry.).

If a proper demo man is doing his job right, you're going to want to record it going off, it'll be epic and you'll want to have it as part of your ShadowResume!

Oh, and don't forget the Oregano. It's not a real explosion without the proper spices.

+Quote Post
Mickle5125
post Mar 17 2011, 10:16 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 14,433

In my LA game, the party managed to roll really well on some driving tests, and managed to take out pursuing gangers with some police cars that were chasing them. They also chucked a home made bomb out into the intersection, just to make sure that there would be enough explosions.

This is pink mohawk.

The fact that they recorded it and sold the tape to a TV company is just awesome.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 17 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #20

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

The *other* side of Pink Mohawk is that it *works*. The world (GM) doesn't instantly murder people as it otherwise 'realistically' would.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Mar 17 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Pink Mohawk and Terry Pratchett's principle of narrative causality go hand in hand quite well, yeah. If you're cool enough gambling on a million to one odds leads to success nine times out of ten.

Another fun thing about Shadowrun is that Pink Mohawk is something that can happen to the Ice Cold Pro team. I once had a team whose Face was a buttoned-down former corp brat who was all style and sophistication so one of the first runs I threw at them was re-acquiring a lost crate of prototype assault rifles from the Scatterbrains.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 17 2011, 11:15 PM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

Well, only with GM intervention. Pink Mohawk and Ice Cold can't exist (fairly) in the same game world.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Mar 17 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Depends on how you define fair, I suppose. I don't mess with dice pools or weight results against people or anything like that. I was mostly referring to the attitude. Gangers don't live in a world without consequences, but there's also manifestly some canon groups who don't particularly worry much about a wide swath of potential consequences. Shadowrunners do a lot of the stuff they do because they want to get paid, keep things quiet and avoid getting tagged with a criminal SIN etc. Discretion is often a big part of what they do and a lot of runners like their comforts. Barrens gangers aren't looking to get shot in the head, mind you, but they have less to lose than many groups and thus a bit of brinksmanship might work in their favor when dealing with a small runner team. Or it might not. The runners might end up wiping them out. Fair is fair. I just like keeping some groups that think like that in my games. They're a big part of the shadowrun mystique and history, after all.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 17 2011, 11:42 PM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

Oh, I misunderstood your example. I meant that the runner team can't survive as Pink Mohawk for very long in a 'world' that the GM's not helping them through. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Playing a Pink Mohawk game is a fun way to play, but with forensics, DNA, surveillance, spirits, and pretty rough lethal damage rules… if there's any room left, it's small.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Mar 17 2011, 11:47 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

you can actually play Ghost Cartels very Pink Mohawk, as you're leaving every town very soon anyway. Ofc the PCs don't really know that. But the GM has less to worry about.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.