Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun Novels, What's the word?
Belvidere
post Mar 17 2011, 07:36 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,413

I've read every shadowrun novel I've been able to get my hands on through local bookstores and cheap amazon purchases. And though I love SR2 and SR3, is there any word on novels set in SR4? Because I've written what basically accounts to a small novel. And though I doubt it would get published, I am curious as to if there is any news on new Shadowrun novels.

So dumpshock, please give me all of your tastey rumors. And if Mr. Hardy happens to step in, I'd be glad to hear what he has to say. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 17 2011, 07:47 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

He said that he hopes forward motion will happen sometime late this year. If not, he's planning on punching people in the neck until it does.

Or something to that frame of mind... I might have misremembered exactly what he said.

+Quote Post
Belvidere
post Mar 17 2011, 07:49 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 17 2011, 03:47 PM) *
He said that he hopes forward motion will happen sometime late this year. If not, he's planning on punching people in the neck until it does.

Or something to that frame of mind... I might have misremembered exactly what he said.

That's okay CanRay. I truly, truly enjoy your version of the story more. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 17 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

I add more violence, and somehow it ups the awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Vegetaman
post Mar 17 2011, 11:55 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,421

I'm hoping that the announced Mel Odom book from some time ago actually comes to fruition -- it is what I am really looking forward to. I have about 14 of the novels, and the rest I keep hunting for in book stores and online.

+Quote Post
JM Hardy
post Mar 18 2011, 03:10 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,392

CanRay summarized it well. If there is no forward motion on novelsby GenCon, I'll be using that as an opportunity to wind the gears up as much as possible. And this reminds me--I promised to give away a sample of the manuscript I've been working on. I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow.

Jason H.

+Quote Post
Belvidere
post Mar 18 2011, 03:16 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Well, I suppose then Jason, you would be the man to give a novel in progress to then? Or try and stuff it down every Catalyst Official's throat I see at GenCon? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 18 2011, 03:40 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Belvidere @ Mar 17 2011, 10:16 PM) *
Well, I suppose then Jason, you would be the man to give a novel in progress to then? Or try and stuff it down every Catalyst Official's throat I see at GenCon? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

If you do that, I want video.

Oh, you mean figuratively. Never mind.

+Quote Post
JM Hardy
post Mar 18 2011, 04:09 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,392

QUOTE (Belvidere @ Mar 17 2011, 10:16 PM) *

Never hurts! I actually don't make the novel decisions, but I can make recommendations, and I get short fiction to assign from time to time. Go ahead and send it to info@shadowrun4.com

Jason H.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Mar 18 2011, 05:22 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

I'm not a lawyer, but be very careful doing this. I'm an aspiring writer myself and I've read horror stories about accepting unsolicited manuscripts. Oh, for the record, I'm talking to Jason. Don't accept any manuscript without a signed agreement attached saying the author won't sue you for plagiarism.

Horror story: Joe Schlub wants to be an author so writes something that's complete crap. That author just so happens to have an idea in that manuscript that has been in copyediting for months just waiting to go to the printers but was delayed because of insert random business reason that comes up constantly in publishing. Manuscript gets rejected, but the project gets pushed forward. Joe Schlub sees the new product on the shelves and says "THAT WAS MY IDEA!!" then gets lawsuit happy. You can't copyright an idea and the lawsuit fails, but the publisher has to spend craploads of money for lawyers to fight it and gets a bad wrap when the guy goes on every forum and blog on the planet to badmouth the publisher.

Not saying you should reject ideas from fans (Shadowrun has always had probably the second most creative and fanatical following of any RPG I've seen, and that's just because World of Darkness attracts a...different sort of crowd), just wanting to make sure you protect yourself.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 18 2011, 06:35 AM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Speaking of "Just so happens", an off-hand comment of mine has started shooting this idea around with a few of the folks on Dumpshock:

JackPoint: The Novel

Was thinking it should be fleshed out a lot more before we suggest anything, and, well, Jason has people to punch in the neck at GenCon. (To use my own quote.).

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Mar 18 2011, 07:09 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 18 2011, 01:35 AM) *
Speaking of "Just so happens", an off-hand comment of mine has started shooting this idea around with a few of the folks on Dumpshock:

JackPoint: The Novel

Was thinking it should be fleshed out a lot more before we suggest anything, and, well, Jason has people to punch in the neck at GenCon. (To use my own quote.).

Check my post on the original thread...something like that could very easily escalate to a massive world-changing event.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 18 2011, 07:30 AM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Seen and replied.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 18 2011, 08:11 AM
Post #14

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Novels need a dash of epic. Adventures on street level work well. Short stories, sometimes (Wolf and Raven's do, most of Spells and Chrome don't). Novels? Not so much.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Mar 18 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

The best thing about the old novels (not all of them and not always well) advanced and fleshed out some of the metaplot and the movers and shakers involved.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:27 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.