Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Runners Toolkit Question
tete
post Mar 19 2011, 05:14 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,139

Mine is specifically about PACKS, why doesn't the Basic Gear Kit include any form of communication be it commlink or two cans with string? I would think communications would be part of the basics more so than thermal smoke grenades.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
noonesshowmonkey
post Mar 19 2011, 05:36 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,125

Methinks that the whole act of choosing a commlink can be such a can of worms that, in order to not make the Basic Gear Kit a total waste of time for anyone with hacking skills, commlinks were left out.

Personally, I'd want to buy up commlinks and programs on a separate kit. My Cyber Samurai needs good IC to keep his link clean, but my Phys Ad couldn't care less. All this while my Rigger / Hacker wants the highest speed bleeding edge SOTA machine that can fit in a pocket.

Etc.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 19 2011, 07:49 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

Given the past record of matrix gear for sample characters and NPCs, the devs probably just gave up to spare themselves any more embarrassment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
tete
post Mar 19 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

They do have commlinks as a separate kit but the alternate identity kit contains a commlink and the basic contains thermal smoke grenades... Thats what blows my mind. Grenades are standard gear but not communications (doesn't have to be a commlink, though that is the obvious choice)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 19 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

It's a question of modularity. Commlinks are so important that they should have their own modules. Thermal smoke is good for *everyone*, and there's only one kind of thermal smoke grenade.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Mar 20 2011, 03:47 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Everyone should already know you need a commlink, the list seem to be better for helping new players realize what kinda gear they should take. Different characters also have very different commlink needs, and it's not unusual for even your mage to have two+ links with different set-ups/programs.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:51 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.