Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lightning Bolt Spell
redwulf25
post Mar 19 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,929

Is it physical damage or stun? The spell description says it does physical damage but it's also supposed to be elemental damage, specifically electric which according to page 163 is by definition stun damage.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 19 2011, 11:59 PM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Yup, wacky right? It's P because it says P. Pay no attention to the total incoherence of the elemental rules. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Mar 20 2011, 12:09 AM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

It's P damage and the reason for that is that it's a fraking lightning bolt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
redwulf25
post Mar 20 2011, 12:36 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 24,929

Thanks for the replies. That's pretty much what I was assuming but I hate it when the rules get incoherent like that.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 20 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Just wait for the bit where people use it to argue for a P sonic bolt that ignores vehicle armor. Sigh.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 20 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

"I shouted so loud I flipped the Roadmaster over!" "Actually, it was your breath..."

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Mar 20 2011, 03:42 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

I let players choose when they take the spell if it is physical or stun damage, which I acknowledge is a house rule.

I believe by RAW all indirect combat spells are physical.

+Quote Post
K1ll5w1tch
post Mar 20 2011, 03:47 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 23,690

What about the special rules of electricity, Willpower rolls for consciousness. Does it get those effects even while doing "P" damage?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 20 2011, 03:57 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (TheOOB @ Mar 19 2011, 10:42 PM) *
I let players choose when they take the spell if it is physical or stun damage, which I acknowledge is a house rule.

Actually, I was just thinking this very fact this evening. I think it's a good suggestion, with less Drain Cost for a Stun spell, of course.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Mar 20 2011, 05:20 AM
Post #10

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

It's Physical damage with the Willpower + Body test and the disorientation. If your players want to do Stun damage, politely show them Stunbolt.

My general rule is that what's in the spell entry goes. If players want to design a new spell, then they need to worry about how elemental damage works.

The section on electricity damage in the main book was obviously written to cover things like tasers and sticking your tongue in a wall socket. The elemental damage section in Street Magic was obviously not proofread very closely.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Mar 20 2011, 05:51 AM
Post #11

Douche

Oh, to quickly house-rule elemental effects to something manageable, just take out the line that forces Elemental spells to do physical damage. Add a line about how Electricity spells can deal physical damage while real sources of electricity don't.

If you want people to hate Sound spells again, make people hearing through technology (cyberears, earbuds, fully enclosed helmets, etc) immune, or at least highly protected. The only thing loud noises can really do to you is damage/destroy your eardrums (which would be excruciatingly painful and debilitating and fully justify no-armor Stun damage). It's a loud sound, not the resonance frequency of people. Any good piece of future tech used for hearing would include a filter to cap the amplitude of input/output.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 20 2011, 05:54 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Having had my eardrums burst on me, I can say from personal experience that it [Content Deleted By SysOp for Profanity].

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Mar 20 2011, 05:56 AM
Post #13

Douche

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 20 2011, 12:54 AM) *
Having had my eardrums burst on me, I can say from personal experience that it [Content Deleted By SysOp for Profanity].

Oh, scuba diving. So painful but so fun.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Mar 20 2011, 09:02 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

QUOTE (K1ll5w1tch @ Mar 19 2011, 11:47 PM) *
What about the special rules of electricity, Willpower rolls for consciousness. Does it get those effects even while doing "P" damage?

Yes lightning bolt still gets the electricity effects, that's why indirect spells are so expensive to cast. Even if the damage doesn't kill them, they'll likely be unconscious for a round or two, or a least take a sharp penalty. Works against drones too(bonus if your GM rules that object resistance doesn't apply.)

To expand on my post above, any indirect spell I allow to do stun damage for -1 drain as per spell creation rules, and element types that are condusive to non-lethal damage(electric, sound, water, ect), generally have publicly available formula(in fact taser and riot bomb are fairly common lone star spells in my games). Stun fire spells and the like generally require independent research(and are kinda pointless, when they catch on fire they're taking physical damage anyways).

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 20 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

Epicedion, and vehicles/etc. are immune? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Because that's the actual problem.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 20 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (K1ll5w1tch @ Mar 19 2011, 09:47 PM) *

Yes it does...

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 20 2011, 02:43 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Epicedion @ Mar 19 2011, 11:51 PM) *
Oh, to quickly house-rule elemental effects to something manageable, just take out the line that forces Elemental spells to do physical damage. Add a line about how Electricity spells can deal physical damage while real sources of electricity don't.

If you want people to hate Sound spells again, make people hearing through technology (cyberears, earbuds, fully enclosed helmets, etc) immune, or at least highly protected. The only thing loud noises can really do to you is damage/destroy your eardrums (which would be excruciatingly painful and debilitating and fully justify no-armor Stun damage). It's a loud sound, not the resonance frequency of people. Any good piece of future tech used for hearing would include a filter to cap the amplitude of input/output.

Sound waves can do a LOT more to the human body than just burst an eardrum or two...

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Mar 20 2011, 06:11 PM
Post #18

Douche

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 20 2011, 08:50 AM) *
Epicedion, and vehicles/etc. are immune? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Because that's the actual problem.

Vehicles can't have burst eardrums.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 20 2011, 09:43 AM) *
Sound waves can do a LOT more to the human body than just burst an eardrum or two...

Not as they're described in the book. Elemental Sound is described as "loud." Spells are instantaneous. Sounds that can actually cause internal injury to lab rats are extremely far outside the range of hearing and the exposure has to happen over a length of time. Sonic spells are just big booms.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 20 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #19

Advocatus Diaboli

You're mixing up the (terrible) rules. The Sound element does *only* two things: ignore armor, and deal Stun damage. Everything else is fluff. If deaf things and/or machines were immune, it would say so. Now, this isn't a problem *if* you force it to do Stun damage, because machines are inherently immune to stun.

However, if you (by which I mean 'one', not Epicedion) let them do Physical damage, the *rules* say you've created something that destroys tanks.

So, yes, if you're gonna get all 'reasonable' and 'common sense' on things, maybe it makes sense. You'd *never* allow a Physical Sound spell. But this is Shadowrun and you should know better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) The whole premise here was that you *did* allow a Physical Sound spell.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Mar 20 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #20

Douche

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 20 2011, 01:16 PM) *
You're mixing up the (terrible) rules. The Sound element does *only* two things: ignore armor, and deal Stun damage. Everything else is fluff. If deaf things and/or machines were immune, it would say so. Now, this isn't a problem *if* you force it to do Stun damage, because machines are inherently immune to stun.

However, if you (by which I mean 'one', not Epicedion) let them do Physical damage, the *rules* say you've created something that destroys tanks.

So, yes, if you're gonna get all 'reasonable' and 'common sense' on things, maybe it makes sense. You'd *never* allow a Physical Sound spell. But this is Shadowrun and you should know better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) The whole premise here was that you *did* allow a Physical Sound spell.

Oh, yeah, never let Sound damage be Physical. That's just asking for it. Wrecks the whole magic system.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Mar 20 2011, 07:56 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (Epicedion @ Mar 20 2011, 12:51 AM) *
Add a line about how Electricity spells can deal physical damage while real sources of electricity don't.

Lolwut? I suspect the legions of people killed by electrocution would beg to differ.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Mar 20 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #22

Douche

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Mar 20 2011, 02:56 PM) *
Lolwut? I suspect the legions of people killed by electrocution would beg to differ.

Stun damage overflow, sir.

Need to add that sound damage doesn't overflow while we're at it.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Mar 20 2011, 08:17 PM
Post #23

Runner

Mmmmno. Pretty sure electrically-induced cardiac arrhythmia isn't overflow, not to mention electrical burns.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Mar 20 2011, 08:46 PM
Post #24

Douche

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Mar 20 2011, 03:17 PM) *
Mmmmno. Pretty sure electrically-induced cardiac arrhythmia isn't overflow, not to mention electrical burns.

Extremely high damage rating? It's difficult to have a game mechanic that models an arrythmia. For comparison, getting shot in the stomach in SR doesn't exactly make you septic and die, either.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Mar 20 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #25

Runner

The simplest (and possibly most realistic) method is the one suggested by TheOOB: the player chooses whether an electrical spell does stun or physical damage. Since, you know, electricity can, in fact, do either.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:18 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.