IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Runner Inc., How equipped are your teams?
Makki
post Mar 22 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,036

I heard about a teams once, that has been playing together for a while. They pooled a fixed percentage of income so they could get stuff. They had a motor pool of basically any useful way of transportation.

Do your guys keep their stuff to themselves? Often the Rigger will have at least one shop of some kind. The Sam might have an armorer shop...
Or do you rely fully on connections?
Or do you have experienced similar operations as I explained before?

I image it might be fun for a very versatile team to be self-sufficient. In the long run, when karma keeps coming, everybody will pick secondary and tertiary skills. So why not get your own medical facility and grow bioware, for example. Buy an X-Mansion with a hangar and all the possible shops or facilities. An aspected lodge etc...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Mar 22 2011, 01:06 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 21,972

My team operates out of the basement of the Science Fiction Museum. The technomancer is fascinated by how people thought the future would be. He's also the Neo-@ of the group, trying to talk the Elf out of allying with S-K so much just because "They make great cars."

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Mar 22 2011, 01:25 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,881

The teams I've worked with usually work as a group of independent contractors.

We dont tend to share too much unless we absolutely have to.

+Quote Post
Modular Man
post Mar 22 2011, 02:32 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,317

In one of my groups, one of the PCs just attempted to jump-start his own small security company. We'll see how that will work out...
In another, my rigger's got a more or less detailed plan in setting up one or more mobile workshops, as well as getting some of his drones to hack random cars and possibly steal them. He's got almost every skill needed for that, at least one level. Magic/Arcana, as well. I just have to get to know the hacker better and all this might lead to something. Said hacker salvaged a medium-sized nexus on the last run, with the complete team's approval.
So, sure, teams may possibly become more than occasional co-workers.

+Quote Post
K1ll5w1tch
post Mar 22 2011, 02:44 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 23,690

QUOTE (Socinus @ Mar 21 2011, 06:25 PM) *

Yeah a lot of individuals without a lot of thought for teamwork. The only exception being tacnets.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 22 2011, 02:45 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

The group I run seem to live mostly out of the "Militarized RV", a heavily customized Roadmaster. The owner really hopes that cops don't look in the back to see the massive arsenal of weapons hanging off of one wall.

+Quote Post
Vegetaman
post Mar 22 2011, 04:24 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,421

I had a team that decided they would go into business together and started dealing drugs and guns and various other hardware and set their own warehouse up... I even had a campaign where it got raided by rival drug/gun runners and gangers -- quite an event. The story just sort of wrote itself. They even managed to defend their fort, those crafty paranoid bastards... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 22 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

One game, the group found an old storage spot for a Shadowrunner or Shadowteam (They're not sure which), and went, "JACKPOT!" after seeing racks of weapons and crates of ammo and explosives.

Too bad none of them saw any of the old Vietnam movies I had... Open one crate, and a grenade with no pin or spoon rolls around on the floor. Sympathetic Explosions happened and they barely got out of there alive. And were being monitored and detected, and forced to pay back for all the equipment, "Or Else".

+Quote Post
Sixgun_Sage
post Mar 22 2011, 01:52 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,783

Usually groups I play in tend to pool resources in to one or two boltholes with enough supplies to replenish spent resources in the field, mainly at my insistence, no one expects the pink mohawk to prepare like a mirrorshade...

+Quote Post
Semerkhet
post Mar 22 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,079

My group divides all the income for jobs done as a team by the number of team members plus one. This extra "team share" is used to purchase and maintain commonly-held vehicles, equipment and safe-houses. Keep in mind that I run a fairly high-power, high-pay campaign so the "team share" doesn't make the difference between Squatter and Low lifestyle for the month for any of the characters.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Mar 22 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

My current group pools damn near everything which makes me kinda nervous as the GM. They're debating between getting the Samurai tricked out or investing in small fleet of drones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/indifferent.gif)

+Quote Post
Semerkhet
post Mar 22 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Mar 22 2011, 09:23 AM) *
My current group pools damn near everything which makes me kinda nervous as the GM. They're debating between getting the Samurai tricked out or investing in small fleet of drones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/indifferent.gif)

My group looted a couple of mini-subs in DotA 2. They bought a property on Puget Sound and then built a sub pen under their property. I have this feeling we're edging a bit towards Pink Mohawk.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 22 2011, 03:46 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Mar 22 2011, 10:26 AM) *
My group looted a couple of mini-subs in DotA 2. They bought a property on Puget Sound and then built a sub pen under their property. I have this feeling we're edging a bit towards Pink Mohawk.

Either that or Supervillian...

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Mar 22 2011, 04:14 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 22 2011, 03:46 PM) *
Either that or Supervillian...

Naaah. Not unless that property has a volcano on it.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 22 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

All you need to do is have another Dance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Mar 22 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

Third time's the charm, eh?

+Quote Post
EKBT81
post Mar 22 2011, 06:01 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,124

QUOTE (Socinus @ Mar 22 2011, 02:25 AM) *

Same here, due to style of play as much as player fluctuation. Not much pooling except for replacement of damaged gear.

I don't push the paranoia in my games, but it still seems prudent to me to maintain your own safety measures like a bolthole separate from the others.

Much of this probably comes from my view that shadowrunners don't come in fixed teams as a package but that fixers rather put together teams from their "contractor pool" for specific jobs. The fixer will let them work together again if the team's successful. And of course, since the players want to play the game together. But that's an OOC matter.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Mar 22 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #18

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

QUOTE (EKBT81 @ Mar 22 2011, 02:01 PM) *
Same here, due to style of play as much as player fluctuation. Not much pooling except for replacement of damaged gear.

I don't push the paranoia in my games, but it still seems prudent to me to maintain your own safety measures like a bolthole separate from the others.

Much of this probably comes from my view that shadowrunners don't come in fixed teams as a package but that fixers rather put together teams from their "contractor pool" for specific jobs. The fixer will let them work together again if the team's successful. And of course, since the players want to play the game together. But that's an OOC matter.

It can go either way. A successful group of buddies with good specialties can definitely work as a runner team.

I've had a team rent a group lifestyle (actually it was a air-conditioned storage unit with a TV, a poker table, and some bean bag chairs) that they funded from a mutual account that always got a percentage of a run's take. The "party fund" went toward things like simple repairs if someone's vehicle got shot up, hospital/funeral costs, bribes, and specialized (especially expendable) equipment needed for a plan. If your group keeps an extra 5k (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) lying around for expenditures, it cuts down on arguments over who has to pay for what, and then they stop keeping receipts to get reimbursed out of the run's payment.

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Mar 22 2011, 07:31 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,585

The R7 (Red Seven Security Concepts) "compound" is within SMG range of the Brockhaven residence on the 'sound, but without waterfront access, yet.

Fully paid-for, legit (through about 5 shell companies) paying for taxes, utilities, 20-room "executive lodge"(Unused), indoor olympic pool, fully-equipped gym, motorpool (Now a little cramped, with the salvaged 2 x Appaloosa's and the Troopship Hovercraft. Long story. Annnnd ~ 25K in traffick fines when we had them on autopilot from the CAS to Seattle. Never has the autopilot skill rolled so many 6's.) Leased SeaTac hangerspace for the Lear II and a salvaged Stallion that's had it's identifier's scrubbed so clean the guy who sold it doesn't remember ever owning one.

Magical? 8 x F10 permament summoning circles (2 x high-end mages) 2 x alchemy shops (downtime in there paid for a LOT of the above) 1x machine shop, 1 x medical facility, mothballed until we can figure out why this place was sold to us for so damn cheap (Beta-clinic for 16 Million? WTF? ) , 1 resident ghost, Computer shop with the two resident deckers pleading to have it expanded into a facility a jury-rigged weapons "facility" that's needing a lot more work, and permits ("whoops, just, you know, forget the wing exists until I can get some dirt on the local ATF guys...") Motor shop that's on it's way into being a facility, (running out of floor space, need to get an engineer on site again and the mages to do their thing with the Earth Elementals) and a huuuuuuuge overhead that the players have now discovered.

And need to feed with very lucrative runs:)

Maps available on demand, landscaped (defensively) surrounds, 4m earth wall berm topped with a 4m chainlink fence surrounding the site and some F10 great-forms bound to protect the place. On the astral, it's kinda creepy (Background count was an issue until we managed to clear out some of the rubble) but you'd likely look at it, go "Executive retreat, avoid until you need to hit it" and find out via your deckers that the place is in disarray and receivership since Fuchi went belly-up, likely another forgotten orphan asset-stripped and decaying until someone could be bothered making it into a carpark.

Frankly, it's been 3 years in the making and we're happy to actually go and get stuff done within walking distance of a bedroom without armouring up and bringing along the assulat cannon. Overheads are high, but the team's getting smarter and we're cultivating good neighbour status with the locals (Hard, but doable) and working out what else will pay the materials budget this quarter.

-Tir

+Quote Post
stu_pie
post Mar 22 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 22,349

Our runners are fairly independent gear wise, but normally 1 person buys a van and everyone else buys bikes so they often end up piled in back of van (always with question of "can I fit my bike in the van"). Our GM ran a job though few weeks back and our reward was some cash but also an old firestation (think ghostbusters) it's becoming a fort now (players parnoid that GM going to try to take it off us/have it raided). Our demo guy has wired it so theres a "self destruct" button (with enough power to wipe out the city block).

Sharing gear would be nice, but you just know your buddy would hand you his gun before a run, you'd get into a fire fight, pull the trigger and a "pow" flag would pop out of the end. (Or is it just my group who are ass to each other) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif)

+Quote Post
Raven the Tricks...
post Mar 22 2011, 07:49 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,569

Our team currently is working (mostly) for a guy who runs a combined full service auto facility and armorer facility (it's a fairly large space, and with the desktop forge in the back, it could really double as just about any type of vehicle facility). He's also an arms dealer, so we have fairly easy access to a variety of weapons, albeit not *all* of them at any given point.

He also directly employs our GMPC rigger/mechanic and NPC armorer/mage. Thus far the group has mostly taken care of their own expenses, but I may consider having my character discuss the benefits of group funded safe house(s) in addition to our own individual dosses. As for vehicles, our rigger has a van, I've got a bike and our hacker/demo expert/chemist has a fairly nice car. Our adept is currently awol (off doing a co-op work term) and I can't recall if he had a personal vehicle or not, and our Free Spirit doesn't generally need a vehicle, and probably wouldn't know what to do with one if she had it.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 22 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Tiralee @ Mar 22 2011, 02:31 PM) *
Frankly, it's been 3 years in the making and we're happy to actually go and get stuff done within walking distance of a bedroom without armouring up and bringing along the assulat cannon. Overheads are high, but the team's getting smarter and we're cultivating good neighbour status with the locals (Hard, but doable) and working out what else will pay the materials budget this quarter.

-Tir

And, if you ever do need to burn the place, that "Within SMG Distance of Brockhaven Residence" will come in real handy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif)

+Quote Post
Makki
post Mar 22 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

@Tir
I love it. That's basically the X-Mansion version.

+Quote Post
Semerkhet
post Mar 23 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tiralee @ Mar 22 2011, 01:31 PM) *
Overheads are high, but the team's getting smarter and we're cultivating good neighbour status with the locals (Hard, but doable) and working out what else will pay the materials budget this quarter.

My team's hide-out is in the Fauntleroy area south of the Seattle downtown core. It's a pretty pricey neighborhood so the team has gone out of their way to craft believable cover stories and interact with the neighbors. The hacker devotes a decent chunk of time monthly to spoof part of the lifestyle and keep away unwanted attention. Illusions, Concealment, hacking, and good social engineering allow the team to come and go without raising red flags.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 23 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #25

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Well, seeing how i usually have tons of spare cash left over when i am done with my character (yes, it's usually the combat monster . .) i am usually the one who buys stuff twice and thrice and has several safe houses where stuff is hidden. if it is ENOUGH money, i'll even have spare vehicles that have been modded to a certain degree . .
The only time where this was NOT the case was where i was INTENTIONALLY building someone who has to rely on connections.
Basically, i had about 800k left after i was done with the character. and i pumped it ALL into connections . .
Level 3 Connections in SR3 cost 200k a piece, but they ARE worth it.
So i had 2 of those for 400k and pumped 400k into Level 1 and 2 connections which cost 5k and 10k respectively . .
i think i had something like 3 sheets of paper with connections alone . .
The GM learned not to ask:"do you know anybody who . ." but instead:"who do you know that . ."

once we actually had somebody playing a decker, we had an idea to do a complete false front small time corporation.
basically run completely from the matrix from one of the spare cyberdecks in one of the spare safe houses . . in this case, it was a welded shut coffin motel cell that had been conveniently "forgotten"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:21 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.