Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Impression/False Face
redwulf25
post Mar 23 2011, 01:59 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,929

Okay, this is twinkier than a hostess factory but I can see the argument and see a player making it. If a character uses first impression and then meets the character a second time with false face active so the target thinks they're meeting someone new do they get the bonus again?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
K1ll5w1tch
post Mar 23 2011, 03:36 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 23,690

I'd say off hand sure. However what would be the overall benifit it wouldn't stack with the last meeting to make the character more likable and would only be effective for that disguise.

+Quote Post
Belvidere
post Mar 23 2011, 03:45 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,413

I'd let them swing it. But as Kill said, I would basically let them build a reputation with that person with two different personas.

+Quote Post
K1ll5w1tch
post Mar 23 2011, 03:54 AM
Post #4

Target

Also from an RP standpoint keep track of what the character says in which persona to contact he does this with. Any inconsistancies will blow the cover and could cause some problems when they get cought in lies.

The more you lie the better memory you need to remember what lies you told to whom. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Mar 23 2011, 05:15 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

You also build bonuses if you increase your loyalty rating with contacts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Mar 23 2011, 06:00 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

If you just straight up wanted to disallow it you easily could make the argument that by the RAW the bonus is relevant to situations that are new to the player character, not the subject they're trying to influence. It can be explained as just having extra confidence when dealing with a new mark or whatever.

Personally, I'd probably allow repeat applications because if nothing else such deceptions aren't without a bit of risk in and of themselves-- In a sense, you could see it as leveraging Disguise to net a situational Social pool modifier by making the other person deal with someone they don't really have a good "read" on yet. And as has been said, there's also relationship building to consider plus the fact that not all of your aliases should have access to your full pool of street cred. So in the long term your 2 dice First Impression bonus may not be any better than what you would have had simply by staying on the level.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Mar 23 2011, 06:12 AM
Post #7

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

I'd say no. If they're doing this solely for the +2 bonus, I'd say hell no.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Mar 23 2011, 09:17 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

I'd say yes, but give them a -2 modifier for having to hide the fact that they have already met.

+Quote Post
K1ll5w1tch
post Mar 23 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #9

Target

QUOTE (Blade @ Mar 23 2011, 02:17 AM) *
I'd say yes, but give them a -2 modifier for having to hide the fact that they have already met.

Thats where the Con skill comes in. Do they adequatley hide their intentions. Don't let RP drop though for dicepool skill roles. Make them act it out.

+Quote Post
jaellot
post Mar 23 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,971

I can't believe I'm offering a suggestion on how to make this work, but what's the take on getting a data filter, and some simsense recording gearing or some such, so that you basically are constructing a seperate personality to be the alternate to get this +2 bonus and to keep track of which you said what? Maybe have some sort of filter within the filter to ping keywords so you can share the info with yourself. You could even go so far as to personafix the other so you don't flub adopted behaviors and such.

That actually makes sense, reading back over it. Holy crap...

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Mar 23 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

False Face is False Front, right? The disguise bioware?

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Mar 23 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (K1ll5w1tch @ Mar 23 2011, 04:36 AM) *
I'd say off hand sure. However what would be the overall benifit it wouldn't stack with the last meeting to make the character more likable and would only be effective for that disguise.

This.

I see no problem whatsoever with allowing this.
It's mostly relevant in situations where you are either dealing with unimportant mooks or it applies in situations where you cannot make full use of your previous encounters with an NPC.

Now, there may also be situations where it's better that the NPC you're dealing with doesn't know he met you before.
But then, having False Front in the first place may mean much more than also using First Impression on top of that.
It's also just another +2 bonus, that's small fry for a dedicated face anyway. What's the big deal?
I'd worry more about Emotitoys, Kinesics, Glamour, Fame and crap like that.
Many of the PCs pulling that kind of shenanigans off are most likely scratching at the total hardcap rule anyway, does it really matter that much how they got there?

As far as the plausibility of that trick is concerned :
The quality means that it's easy for you to get in touch with new people.
That may partially reflect your own open-mindedness, which would be dependent on you meeting someone for the first time, but probably moreso an ability to be immediately likeable and trustworthy in spite of being a complete stranger and getting a conversation going without referencing a common past, building interaction from scratch, which depends on whether other people have met you before.

QUOTE (jaellot @ Mar 23 2011, 06:41 PM) *
I can't believe I'm offering a suggestion on how to make this work, but what's the take on getting a data filter, and some simsense recording gearing or some such, so that you basically are constructing a seperate personality to be the alternate to get this +2 bonus and to keep track of which you said what? Maybe have some sort of filter within the filter to ping keywords so you can share the info with yourself. You could even go so far as to personafix the other so you don't flub adopted behaviors and such.

That actually makes sense, reading back over it. Holy crap...

Pseudo-forking? In my Shadowrun?

+Quote Post
redwulf25
post Mar 24 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 24,929

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Mar 23 2011, 03:53 PM) *
False Face is False Front, right? The disguise bioware?

Yeah that's what I get for dealing with chronic sleep dep.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Mar 24 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (redwulf25 @ Mar 24 2011, 09:09 PM) *
Yeah that's what I get for dealing with chronic sleep dep.

Coffee, my friend. COFFEE.

(Can you tell I only recently started drinking it?)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:30 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.