Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowplay and the wireless trix, Or "Nigel stole my wires"
Laodicea
post Mar 29 2011, 08:37 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749

It seems to me that the technology introduced in Shadowplay makes any kind of wired connection no more secure than a wireless connection. In terms of SR4, that technology was made public about 20 years ago. By this point, it will have been miniaturized down to commlink size.

This makes me think that all the careful removal of wireless access from your characters cyberware should be largely pointless. A hacker should be able to hack the wired connections just as easily. This leads me to a house rule I rather like: Wires dont matter. Which is great, because it's a pain to keep track of what equipment/Wares are wired or unwired.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 29 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Mar 29 2011, 09:37 AM) *
In terms of SR4, that technology was made public about 20 years ago. By this point, it will have been miniaturized down to commlink size.

Even smaller, UW has an optical tap which does exactly that, and a microtapper drone carrying such a tap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This makes me think that all the careful removal of wireless access from your characters cyberware should be largely pointless. A hacker should be able to hack the wired connections just as easily.

Uhm, wut? Tapping wires under somebody's skin is as easy as capturing a wireless signal?

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Mar 29 2011, 10:53 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 29 2011, 04:49 AM) *
Even smaller, UW has an optical tap which does exactly that, and a microtapper drone carrying such a tap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Uhm, wut? Tapping wires under somebody's skin is as easy as capturing a wireless signal?

The technology in Shadowplay did not require physically tapping the line. It was wireless tapping of optical wires.

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Mar 29 2011, 11:16 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,693

The optical tap requires you (or the drone) to physically access the fiber, and since the decription says that the tap "create a micro-bend so that light signals may be captured" so probably peel the protective layers to be able to attach the sensor directly on the optical fiber itself.

IIRC the tech in Shadowplay allowed not only monitoring, but also alteration of the transmitted datas, and possibly from a short range rather than direct, physical contact, so I think it's based on a completely different concept.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 29 2011, 03:07 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

As far as I remember the tech only allowed listening on FO lines without cutting the line and plugging in a repeater (which would lead to a temporary blackout -> detectable). Will read it up when I get home.

PS: "Touchless" technologies for eavesdropping on FO lines actually exist in real life, based on the recording the tiny bits of radiation scattered when light "hits" atoms (Rayleigh scatter). Current technologies require monitoring a long piece of the line to gather enough photons, but of course three-letter-agencies could already be significantly better than that...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 29 2011, 03:10 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

*Sighs* I have to buy Shadowplay again. It was the first piece of Shadowrun I read, and was almost totally sold after I was done. Found 2XS, and was completely sold.

I want more Dirk and Sly!

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 29 2011, 04:07 PM
Post #7

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

only because you can relate better to people that are your own age, not half your age *snickers*

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 29 2011, 04:21 PM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

In unwired there is a fiber tap with a wireless transmitter at the other end, iirc. There is also nanotech specifically for reactivating disabled cyberware wifi (no comment about cyberware where it has been physically removed).

Sadly the latter is to slow working to be combat viable...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:26 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.