> Dodge Ram, Pickup Truck stats
mister__joshua
post Mar 31 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241

Hi

In a recent run I managed to obtain (extra-legally) a nice shiny new pick up truck. It was described as being like the 2070's equivalent of a Dodge Ram. I've looked through the core book and Arsenal but I can't really find anything similar to that. There's the GAZ pickup but that's described as a 'hick' wagon. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Mar 31 2011, 10:20 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

Is there anything in the "crunch" about the GAZ that you don't like? If it's just a fluff description that's bothering you, then you can pick one of the variants of the GAZ, like the Wuxing Pengyou, same stats but maybe considered more upscale or less hick-ish or something...

+Quote Post
ravensoracle
post Mar 31 2011, 10:22 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,184

I have a theory the writer of that particular piece of fluff has some prejudices against those that live the so called "Hick" or rural lifestyle.

+Quote Post
mister__joshua
post Mar 31 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #4

Running Target

No, nothing to do with the fluff. I didn't like the picture (looks more like a small lorry), but really it was just that I thought it wasn't statted as well as I thought a Ram would be. I imagine a big V8 to produce better speeds than that, and acceleration.

+Quote Post
ravensoracle
post Mar 31 2011, 11:09 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,184

The thing to remember about pickups like a Ram is that all that power isn't used for speed but for raw pulling power.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 31 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #6

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

This is most apparent, if you compare the top speed of the viper with the Dodge RAM 3500 SRT. Which uses the same V10 Engine the Viper uses, but due to the vastly hightened weight is slower but can put more pulling power behind itself because it has more grip on the ground, due to the higher weight.

+Quote Post
mister__joshua
post Mar 31 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Would you guys suggest that the GAZ pickup is about right then or would you boost it up a little?

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Mar 31 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

You could always go with the Rover Model 2068 (or it's variants) - it's got better stats than the GAZ, and what's a SUV but an enclosed pickup?

+Quote Post
Fauxknight
post Mar 31 2011, 01:45 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,814

SR4A has the Toyota Gopher heavy duty pick up. It looks about right, better handling and speed than the GAZ, but worse accel (I don't know why). It and the Ford Spiral were added from 4 to SR4A, probably to fill in the mid price range, but both of them are too expensive for having the same stats as vehicles that cost almost half as much, but since you already have the truck that part doesn't matter too much. Alternatively the Rover 2068 has some pretty sweet specs, if you can get the GM to use those stats you're golden.

If you do get the Gopher try and get him to throw some factory options that don't count against your mod limit (if it had them I don't know if thats already been covered in game or not). Stuff like 4x4 = off-road suspension or leather interior = high amenities. I say this because the Rover 2068 already has these, and more, and better stats, and its cheaper. You know what, just try to convince the GM to give you the Rover's stats.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 31 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Fauxknight @ Mar 31 2011, 08:45 AM) *
SR4A has the Toyota Gopher heavy duty pick up. It looks about right, better handling and speed than the GAZ, but worse accel (I don't know why).

Transmission is designed for torque rather than acceleration, but has more gearing, and the engine can handle higher RPMs. Thus, low accel, high speed.

+Quote Post
K1ll5w1tch
post Mar 31 2011, 03:18 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 23,690

QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Mar 31 2011, 05:24 AM) *
Would you guys suggest that the GAZ pickup is about right then or would you boost it up a little?

Sure it doesn't really matter in the long run. The options in the book are just to give you an idea of where certain types of vehicles fall, stat wise. Pick something close give it some different standard mods that you think reasonble change the base stats accordingly and call it what ever you want. Then go online find a neato picture of a futuristic truck, whamo. Thats generally what I do. I usually hate the equipment art in most the books and go find better stuff online, but thats just fluff stuff anyway.

+Quote Post
Fauxknight
post Mar 31 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,814

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 31 2011, 11:14 AM) *
Transmission is designed for torque rather than acceleration, but has more gearing, and the engine can handle higher RPMs. Thus, low accel, high speed.

Which I considered, which means its designed for off road use or towing vs the GAZ which is more designed for general purpose getting goods from one place to the other. Unfortunately this doesn't translate into any benefit, in fact it means its stats are just sup par for the cost. Both of the new mid range vehicles suffer this, and part of it may be because they exist outside of Arsenal. Basically these two vehicles are in the main rulebook, which means they can't have mods from other books in thier descriptions (for those playing with just the main rulebook), which is fine the same is true of evey other vehicle in the main rulebook. The problem occurs when you add Arsenal because a lot of the main rulebook vehicles have free mods tacked on, but unfortunately Arsenal does not and could not have had any free mods for these two vehicles because they did not exist until 4A and Arsenal was written before that version came out.

Basically what I'm getting at is that the Toyota Gopher and Ford Spiral are both overcosted enough that they should have some vehicle mods built in, but they suffer without them because they were added inbetween editions. Add at least off-road suspension to the Toyota Gopher and then its cost makes a little bit more sense that it could have lower acceleration values than the GAZ (the Rover 2068 is still the superior choice here).

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 3 2011, 02:29 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Mar 31 2011, 08:55 AM) *
You could always go with the Rover Model 2068 (or it's variants) - it's got better stats than the GAZ, and what's a SUV but an enclosed pickup?

I dunno, dude, SUVs seem pretty badass. Look at this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQkyi1_l6po

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 3 2011, 02:39 PM
Post #14

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Just use the Gopher.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:22 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.