IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pickup Trucks, What turned testosterone vehicles into mini-crap?
Regiment
post Apr 1 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,304

Why is it that SR4 (and perhaps previous versions, I really can't recall) turns big honkin' testosterone fueled 4x4 mudgrippers and cowboy cadillacs into Kei trucks and euro mini versions?

What do we use for something like a dually or a dodge rampage or even a chevy avalanche type vehicle?

Heh... it's not a rant... I promise.

Group decided to start a new shadowrun campaign and I'm making a fomori ex lone star that comes from inside corp-world Lone Star Austin. And when looking at vehicles, for cowboy hat style, I found myself seriously lacking in options.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hound
post Apr 1 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,778

Tata Hotspur is not manly enough for you? I mean, I guess it's not quite what you're talking about, but it is a high-performance desert racing truck. Pretty badass in my opinion. It's in Arsenal.

+Quote Post
Regiment
post Apr 1 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 17,304

nah, Hotspur rocks... hell, the stats aren't bad on even the Gaz... but that's not really what I was getting at.

I was just curious why there were no "what americans think of as pickup trucks" in the 2070's.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 1 2011, 08:55 PM
Post #4

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I don't understand the OP question. Trucks are already girly-mobiles in real life 2010. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

But, yeah. You've got the POS Gaz, the Gopher (the only truck in the core book, sounds manly enough), and the Hotspur (which is more 'monster truck' than pickup truck). … That's it. There are no girly trucks in SR4 at all, right? I guess you could argue there's nothing *better* (read: shinier and less blue-collar) than the Gopher but that's the direction of *less* manly.

I do agree: Hotspur is the best ride there is. I just think it's partly because it's not a pickup. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 1 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Because most of the games take place in Seattle. Where are you going to drive a pick-up where an SUV would do? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Now, if the game was taking place in the Confederated American States, which is full of hillbillies... Or the NAN, which is mostly rural... Or Aztlan, where you need to be able to get away from the everything...

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Apr 1 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,881

QUOTE (Regiment @ Apr 1 2011, 08:49 PM) *
nah, Hotspur rocks... hell, the stats aren't bad on even the Gaz... but that's not really what I was getting at.

I was just curious why there were no "what americans think of as pickup trucks" in the 2070's.

That follows, American commercial values of "big and loud" sort of went out of fashion. The people who would want classic monstrous trucks generally cant afford to buy them much less feed them gallons of fuel.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 1 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

"The 6000 SUX. It's Big!"

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Apr 1 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #8

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Socinus @ Apr 1 2011, 06:24 PM) *
That follows, American commercial values of "big and loud" sort of went out of fashion. The people who would want classic monstrous trucks generally cant afford to buy them much less feed them gallons of fuel.

They didn't go out of fashion.

They just went to the CAS.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-k

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Apr 1 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,881

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 1 2011, 11:47 PM) *
They didn't go out of fashion.

They just went to the CAS.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-k

I hate to get all socio-political, but most of the people who buy these idiotic machines today are middle class. In Shadowrun, you dont really have a middle class. Most people are varying degrees of dirt poor or filthy rich. The people who can afford them dont want them and the people who would use them, cant afford them.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Apr 1 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #10

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

I dunno, I lived a large chunk of my life in the South, and even the poor folks loved their pickup trucks there.

Whereas now in the Northeast pretty much the only pickups I see are commercial - either company owned or owned by people who use them for work.

-k

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 1 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

Shadowrun has tons of middle class. They work for the corps.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 1 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 1 2011, 05:59 PM) *
I dunno, I lived a large chunk of my life in the South, and even the poor folks loved their pickup trucks there.

-k

You go North enough, you get the same deal. They're usually older trucks that a person could repair themselves, however, rather than those new POSes they pass off as "Trucks" nowadays.

+Quote Post
ravensoracle
post Apr 1 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,184

Ok as a rural cowboy type let me rule in why those big heavy duty trucks are needed. They are built and designed for a reason. Often that reason is what they are used fr by some consumers, take the SUV for example. The SUV was designed for going offroad and handling rougher terrain but got turned into the modern day minivan.

Trucks are designed to be the modern day workhorse. Those big gas guzzling trucks are gas guzzling because they have the power to get the job of moving equipment from one place to another done. A lot of people that live in the cities can go to the store as much as they want when it is less than 30 min away and their is an abundance of choices to shop from. In a rural setting to get the choice means driving the 1hr plus probably one way, which means you have to get more at one time and actually stock up. It means that simple delivery of many basic items is not available unless the rural consumer pays out the nose to tie up the delivery truck with the long commute. The truck fills the commercial capacity for moving equipment and goods and doing some of the work. It also gives the rural person a way to be independent and have the equipment needed to live.

+Quote Post
ravensoracle
post Apr 1 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

I guess to sum it up best. In a rural area a pickup truck isn't a luxury but a neccessity.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 1 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

They also tend to take a lot of abuse, and still go, "Please sir, may I please have some more?"

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 1 2011, 11:17 PM
Post #16

Advocatus Diaboli

I thought we were just talking about "cowboy cadillacs" and Chevy Avalanche and stuff, not cars that ever see a day of actual work. No offense to real rurals. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Who, by the way, will use the Gopher or the GAZ.

+Quote Post
ravensoracle
post Apr 1 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

What just because we're rural doesn't mean we can't have a nice ride? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) :P:P Just had to say it. lol

+Quote Post
ravensoracle
post Apr 1 2011, 11:35 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 1 2011, 06:13 PM) *
They also tend to take a lot of abuse, and still go, "Please sir, may I please have some more?"

I have personal experience from that. 2 weeks ago my fullsize old F-150 took on a little Nissan Sentra Sedan and won in my opinion. Luckily the car came at an angle and was deflected some but that little car still moved by truck about 3 feet sideways. That steel body took the impact and I am still driving it right now. The truck took all that force and my kids were left unharmed. My wife and I are suffering from the jarring but if I would have been in anything but the truck It would have been a lot worse.

It definitely took a licking an kept on ticking. The only issue is that I now have some additional weight on the truck from all the little pieces of car stuck in the side of my truck. But that will be fixed as soon as the parts comes in and I take the beast to the mechanic.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Apr 1 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

QUOTE (Regiment @ Apr 1 2011, 03:36 PM) *
Why is it that SR4 (and perhaps previous versions, I really can't recall) turns big honkin' testosterone fueled 4x4 mudgrippers and cowboy cadillacs into Kei trucks and euro mini versions?

Maybe the Awakening also brought back intelligence? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post
ravensoracle
post Apr 1 2011, 11:42 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Makki @ Apr 1 2011, 06:37 PM) *
Maybe the Awakening also brought back intelligence? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

I consider that an insult to a lot of people.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 1 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Makki @ Apr 1 2011, 06:37 PM) *

Not even with SURGE, man. Not enough power in any World for that.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 1 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #22

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Yah, the ONE thing i like about america are the cars . .
Especially the big huge trucks. you can't get much closer to an armored vehicle legally in most cases.
Somebody over here in my part of town is driving one of those huge american Trucks.
Either a Chevrolet or a Dodge, i am not sure . . never been good with cars <.< . .
I saw that one get into a car collision. another car, some kind of limosine frontally crashed into the side of the truck.
the limo was, basically, a total loss. i think the engine block was somewhere close to the passenger seat.
the truck? i saw that one driving around with a new door and some of the dents taken care of 2 weeks later . .
this is a kind of car i would actually buy. i don't care about anything or anyone else, as long as I am safe in my car.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 1 2011, 11:58 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Yeah, the old beasts are great for surviving everything. The new trucks, not so much. They can only hopefully kill a moose if you hit one. (This is a concern in parts of Canada. A moose is a big animal! And injured one is a pissed off one. And then tend not to run away.)

Although BMW makes some good cars. I heard about one model a friend of mine in South Africa was telling me about was used as "Bush Taxis" in his neck of the woods.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 2 2011, 12:02 AM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

A Møøse once bit my sister...

No realli!

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 2 2011, 12:04 AM
Post #25

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Yah, i'd still go for an Hummer H1 if i could afford one and needed a car . .
Biggest Problem with these beasts is the narrow streets and finding a parking space for them in hamburg.
Allthough, with the H1, one probably could simply create such parking spaces on a as needed basis *snickers*

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:23 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.