Closed TopicStart new topic
> Chummer Character Generator
Nebular
post Apr 20 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #51

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,349

Much appreciated. I'll have these fixed for this weekend's update.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Beetle
post Apr 21 2011, 12:53 AM
Post #52

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,883

I also noted that Edge, Magic and Resonance are being thrown into the mix with Physical & Mental when limiting the attribute maximums at character creation. I could have a 6 edge or 6 magic, but not both. Or say I maxed out my strength and if I tried to max out edge/resonance/magic, it would return an error.

+Quote Post
whatevs
post Apr 21 2011, 02:19 AM
Post #53

Moving Target

Member No.: 21,915

Okay, here's the knowledge skills as promised. This is probably the section that people will get the most value out of moding, but here's a starting list if you want it.

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Nebular
post Apr 21 2011, 02:28 AM
Post #54

Shooting Target

The EDG/MAG/RES maximums are cleaned up will be in this weekend's update.

Thanks a bunch for the list of Skills, whatevs. This will certainly give people something to start with for Knowledge Skills! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
whatevs
post Apr 21 2011, 12:07 PM
Post #55

Moving Target

Well, some of them might be a little too broad as per RAW but if anyone doesn't like 'em all theyhave to do is mod the .xml. So everyone wins as far as I can tell.

+Quote Post
whatevs
post Apr 22 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #56

Moving Target

Came across some small things with gear:

- In Tasers, the Defiance Protector has a built-in Geko Grip and Top Mounted Laser Sight. I successfully added the Laser Sight in the XML, but no luck with the Geko Grip. ARS Pg20
- Would it be possible to include a list of weapon accessories included with each weapon in the add weapon window? (before you choose the weapon)
- That being said, any plans to support weapon modifications as apposed to weapon accessories in the future?

+Quote Post
Nebular
post Apr 22 2011, 03:25 PM
Post #57

Shooting Target

Well, since Vehicle Weapons were really just standard Weapons with the Mods piece stacked on top, changing it so that any Weapon could have a Mod was s snap. Everything you listed there will be in the next update. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
whatevs
post Apr 22 2011, 04:17 PM
Post #58

Moving Target

Sick! This thing is already the best, and most flexible, char generator around (in my opinion). Can't wait for the next update!

+Quote Post
Nebular
post Apr 22 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #59

Shooting Target

QUOTE (LonePaladin @ Apr 19 2011, 12:49 PM) *
More suggestions and/or observations.
  • The list of purchased items could stand to have a couple extra columns; definitely one showing the price, perhaps also one for the items' ratings. Same goes for augmentations, perhaps with an Essence cost as well.

Just to fill you in: I spent all of the day trying to get this to work with Cyberware using a 3rd party control. It had a few issues like being an absolute headache to work with, and changing the grade caused it to select Standard as the default (that wasn't a real problem since you could still correctly choose the grade you wanted, but it could lead to accidental grade changes). The other major problem with this is that none of the ones let you mix different types of information. Not a big deal for Cyberware since Cyberware plugins are just other pieces of Cyberware. It becomes a show-stopper, however, when you work with Weapons which are made up of Weapon, Weapon Accessories, and Weapon Modifications, and Vehicles which are made up of Vehicles, Vehicle Modifications, Weapons, Weapon Accessories, and Weapon Modifications.

Long and short of it all: While I really liked how it looked, it doesn't look like it will work with Chummer since I need to mix different objects. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Nebular
post Apr 23 2011, 03:44 AM
Post #60

Shooting Target

As promised, here's this weekend's update. Just run Chummer's update and grab everything there.

Build 51
  • added <weaponcategorydv /> support to the Improvement Manager which adjusts the Damage of all Weapons in a Category
  • added <cyberwareessmultiplier /> support to the Improvement Manager which multiplies the ESS cost of Cyberware
  • added <selectmentorspirit /> support to the Improvement Manager which prompts for a Mentor Spirit and applies its bonuses
  • moved <addattribute /> support to the Improvement Manager so anything can add MAG or RES to a character
  • moved <enabletab /> support to the Improvement Manager so anything can enable the special ability tabs for a character
  • added "limittoskill" support to <selectskill /> which limits the Skill list to only the Skills specified
  • added "excludeattribute" support to <selectattribute /> which excludes the listed Attributes from the Select Attribute window
  • EDG, MAG, and RES are no long subject to the one Physical or Mental Attribute at maximum rule
  • Lucky Positive Quality now affects EDG
  • EDG cannot be the selected Attribute for the Exceptional Attribute Positive Quality
  • Uneducated Negative Quality now prevents characters from putting BP into Technical Active Skills
  • Uneducated Negative Quality now removes access to Academic and Profesionally Knowledge Skills
  • added support for Martial Arts
  • added support for Mentor Spirits
  • added support for Bonded Foci
  • Select windows with Search now remember the Category of the item selected if a Search was performed
  • marked Rigger Adaptation and Weapon Mount (Normal, External, Fixed, Manual) Vehicle Mods as being from SR4
  • areas expand and contract with window size to play nicely in lower resolutions and maximized windows
  • adding an Enemy now updates the BP totals immeidately
  • Add Enemy now checks to make sure adding a new Enemy will not take you over the -35 BP for Qualities or -25 BP for Enemies limits
  • added Vehicle Weapons and Vehicle Missiles from Arsenal
  • Language Knowledge Skills are now correctly linked to INT instead of LOG
  • added support for Knowledge Skills to skills.xml (big thanks to whatevs for providing the content for it and pointing me in the right direction)
  • appropriate pieces of Arsenal Clothing now stack with each other for determining total Armor Ratings
  • Form-Fitting Armor now stacks
  • armors that start with "Form-Fitting" only contributes half of its values towards Armor Encumbrance
  • corrected an error that occured when selecting Adept Powers that affect an Active Skill
  • fixed an issue where Cyberware/Bioware with Ratings was calcuating ESS cost incorrectly in regions that use something other than "." to separate decimal places
  • added page number references to all item entries
  • page number is now shown on the character sheet (applies to items added to a character after this update)
  • added "Character Information" tab to enter general character information such as sex, age, height, weight, etc.
  • added general character information to character sheet
  • Nuyen amounts up to 999,999,999 are now properly formatted
  • new Knowledge Skills are placed in the correct location when the list is scrolled
  • added Essence and Nuyen Remaining information to the status bar
  • Gear can now have multiple <addoncategory /> entries
  • moved Sim Modules into their own Gear Category which can only be added to Commlinks and other devices that explicity refer to them in <addoncategory />
  • Matrix Programs can now only be added to Commlinks and other devices that explicity refer to them in <addoncategory />
  • Commlink Operating Systems can now only be added to Commlinks and other devices that explicity refer to them in <addoncategory />
  • added Basic User, Basic+, and Pro User Suites to Matrix Programs
  • added support for Commlink Response, Signal, Firewall and System upgrades
  • Commlinks now display their Reeponse, Signal, Firewall, and System values when selected in the Select Gear window
  • Commlinks now display their Response, Signal, Firewall, and System totals when selected on the Gear tab
  • Commlinks now display their Plugins on printouts
  • save files can now be linked to Contacts and Enemies
  • Weapon Modifications can now be added to standard Weapons
  • Vehicle Weapon Modifications now use Weapon Cost correctly for determine their own cost when applicable
  • adding Ammunition that starts with "Ammo:" now asks for a Weapon Category to be linked to
  • the Grade list is now properly disabled when adding a Cyberware plugin

+Quote Post
Wizard_Thoarin
post Apr 23 2011, 02:18 PM
Post #61

Target

Member No.: 19,144

Playing around with it this morning everything is looking good so far but I noticed a couple things I'd like to see added.

1. Source Book and Page information (I don't know if this shows up on the character sheet but it would be nice to be listed when deciding if you want to add an item). If its not on the character sheet it would be nice for certain items, especially spells and spirits.

2. Going through the Knowledge skills, it would be nice if the drop down box on the right that lets you select Academic, Interest, Language, etc filtered the items selectable on the left so that if you select Languages on the right only languages show up in the left side drop down box.

3. Unless I'm missing something I don't see a way to designate a Language as "Native"

Keep up the good work.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Apr 23 2011, 02:27 PM
Post #62

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Also, the knowledge skill 'Italian' is listed twice, probably in the xml file that way.

I also noticed the Native language designation not being there, but figured that was intentional as someone could just note their native language.

+Quote Post
Nebular
post Apr 23 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #63

Shooting Target

Sourcebook and page number for all items (gear, spells, powers, qualities, etc) are listed on the character sheet. I'll look at adding them to the appropriate places in the application as well. Another one of those seemingly obvious things that I've overlooked. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The tooltip for Knowledge Skills quickly mentions how to set a native language (not the best place for it). Since Languages are Skills like everything else, and Ratings don't allow "N" as a value because they require a number, a native language simply has a Rating of 0 (since it doesn't actually cost you any BP). On the printed character sheet, it appears properly with a Rating of "N". As I'm typing this, I now realise I can put "N" beside the number field that shows the total pool size to make this much clearer. This will be in the next update.

+Quote Post
whatevs
post Apr 23 2011, 11:55 PM
Post #64

Moving Target

Look at that list of updates. Just awesome stuff. Havn't had time to do some testing yet, but in response to concerns above what about a seperate section (and maybe seperate xml) for languages?

P.s. Thanks for the shout out regarding the knowledge skills. You're doing all the heavy lifting though, hope everyone using chummer recognizes your time investment.

+Quote Post
Argent
post Apr 24 2011, 01:53 AM
Post #65

Target

Member No.: 17,970

Kudos on the character generator. Got one thing that needs fixing though. Genetic Optimization raises natural max attribute by one for a specific physical or mental attribute (Augmentation pg.89). Currently it does not allow you to pick an associated attribute and does not raise the natural maximum for any of the attributes. Great work so far!

+Quote Post
Nebular
post Apr 24 2011, 07:30 AM
Post #66

Shooting Target

Thanks. The Genetic Optimization change will be in the next update. I'm planning on doing another one some time Sunday afternoon or evening (today Sunday, not next week Sunday) to address a problem I found with Bioware (turns out it was marking itself a Cyberware in the background and causing Improvements to become permanent after some changes I made in Friday night's release). Won't be much in the update since I was out of town for the better part of the day, but there's a few small additions that will make some people happy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Nebular
post Apr 24 2011, 08:15 PM
Post #67

Shooting Target

As promised, here's today's update. A little more than I thought there'd be since I realised I forgot about Sapients, Infected, and Shapeshifters. There will be no support for A.I. or Free Spirit characters since they break most of character creation rules and do things in their own way.

Build 53
  • added <initiative /> support to the Improvement Manager which adjusts the character's Initiative
  • added <min /> support to <selectattribute /> and <specificattribute /> which adjust an Attribute's Minimum value
  • added support for <contributetolimit /> to qualities.xml which marks a Quality as not counting towards the BP limit for Positive or Negative Qualities
  • added <qualities /> support to metatypes.xml
  • moved <uneducated /> support to the Improvement Manager
  • <initiativepass /> now defines it own unique group in the Improvement Manager, meaning only the highest single <initiativepass /> Improvement is used as defined by the game rules
  • restructured the <forbidden /> element in qualities.xml to have work in the same way at <required />
  • sourcebook and page information is now shown in all Select windows and when items are selected in lists
  • character mugshots can now be added on the Character Info tab
  • added a notes field to the Character info tab to store notes about the character, gear, and any other desired information
  • added missing bonus information to Genetic Optimization Genetech
  • Bioware now correctly identifies itself as Bioware in the Improvement Manager again
  • Technomancer Living Persona "Commlink" now appears in the Commlink section of the printout
  • Technomancer Matrix Initiative and Matrix Initiative Passes are now calculated
  • corrected Metatype minimum MAG and RES values to 1 so that taking Qualities that grant these Attributes do not also cost 10 Attribute BP
  • Attribute Augmented Maximum values are now automatically calculated based on the Attribute's total Maximum value plus any bonuses, removing the need to specify <aug /> for the <specificattribute /> bonus tag which was technically incorrect and could lead to inaccurate Maximum Augmented totals
  • added Category filter to the Select Metatype window
  • added Sapient Critter and Shapeshifter Metatypes
  • updated BP cost of SURGE Qualities to compensate for the BP expendatures for their "free" Positive and Negative Qualities
  • Qualities that do not count towards the Positive or Negative Quality BP limit are coloured dark red
  • added Drake and Infected Positive and Negative Qualities

+Quote Post
Nebular
post Apr 25 2011, 02:09 AM
Post #68

Shooting Target

One last update this weekend to fix a rather embarrassing problem with accidentally resetting Attributes for non-Humans, and the fun bonus of building characters with Karma (building, not maintaining - that's coming later)! Still need to add support for Initiation and Immersion, but the rest of it works!

Build 54
  • fixed a critical issue that caused non-Human Metatypes to reset some of their Atrribute scores when loading a save file
  • added ability to build characters using Karma instead of Build Points (this is selected in the same window where you normally select your BP amount)
  • added Karma cost options to Options window to override the default values

+Quote Post
Argent
post Apr 25 2011, 02:29 AM
Post #69

Target

You are really on fire with these updates. OK so i have other issues.

1: Your current attribute/max attribute (aug max attribute) display is keying me onto a problem. The current attribute will not go beyong 9 even when the augmented max attribute allows you to. I am assuming that first number is your current total attribute including augmentations. I tested this on all the attributes to make sure it was not just a few that were weird.

2: With Metagenic Improvement you should end up with 2/7 (10) since it raises both your min and max natural attribute. Currently it only raises max only 1/7 (10).

3: Genetic Optimization as I read it, will increase your natural max by one and as a consequence raise your augmented max attribute, not actually raise them both by one... so you should see from the display change from 1/6 (9) to 1/7 (10).... 6+1=7...7*1.5 round down=10 instead of what is currently displayed 1/7 (11).... 7*1.5 =10+1=11. What is your interpretation? Does anyone else have input on this?

4: All the surge qualities are currently at 0 bps. Should be at 5/10/15 unless you have implemented something in the code for the extra positive and negative Bps it gives you. So for instance I picked Surge III (15) and Exeptional attribute (20) for a total of 35bps, then I cheese it out with Metagenic improvement (20) but essentially it is free because of the 30 extra Bps from the Surge III so the Qualities should display 35 but currently it displayes 40 instead. 20 for exceptional att, 0 for surge III, and 20 for metagenic improvement. The attribute display currently shows 1/8 (12) but should display 2/8 (12)

OK now for good measure we will cheese it out some more with genetic optimization. If we go with my interpretation which i think was the intent of the rule, then the display should finally read 2/9 (13) but currently it reads 1/9 (14). This includes Exeptional Attribute, Metagenic Improvement, and Genetic Optimization which are all compatable.

Hopefully this helps. Thanks again or all the dilligent work.

+Quote Post
Nebular
post Apr 25 2011, 04:14 AM
Post #70

Shooting Target

1: Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with how this is done either. It's a little confusing. I'm going to have to re-work this so it's easier to understand.

2: You're right. After I put in the support for affect an Attribute's Minimum value, I forgot to actually add this to the Quality. This will be in the next update.

3: Right again. When I corrected Augmented Maximum to be self-calculating, I forgot to remove the Augmented Maximum modifier from the quality, so it was correctly calculating itself as 10, then seeing it had a further +1 bonus and put that on top of everything else. Corrected in next update as well.

4: SURGE is an absolute pain to deal with. My line of thinking with the SURGE Qualities was to simply give them a BP cost equal to the Quality's cost plus the BP difference - effectively reimbursing you for what you spent. Now that I'm looking at it, I'm pretty sure I did the math wrong. This was REALLY screwing with my head and I don't know why. To complicate things even more, the Qualities you take from SURGE shouldn't actually count towards the BP limit for Positive and Negative Qualities. I think what I may end doing is just putting in additional Qualities that reimburse you for the BP expense and offset the Positive/Negative totals. I'm just not seeing another way around this that will work.

So you'd basically have the following Positive and Negative Qualities
  • Positive Quality: SURGE I Positive Offset [-10BP]
  • Positive Quality: SURGE II Positive Offset [-15BP]
  • Positive Quality: SURGE III Positive Offset [-20BP]
  • Negative Quality: SURGE I Negative Offset [5BP]
  • Negative Quality: SURGE II Negative Offset [10BP]
  • Negative Quality: SURGE III Negative Offset [15BP]

So there would be Positive Qualities that refund BP, and Negative ones that cost BP. This would effectively negate the BP you spend/receive from purchasing the Qualities that SURGE says you need to take since they're technically supposed to be free, and would still accommodate you going over the required minimums, impacting the Positive/Negative Quality BP totals properly. These Offset Qualities would have a prerequisite of the matching SURGE Quality. Does this seem reasonable?

+Quote Post
Argent
post Apr 25 2011, 01:02 PM
Post #71

Target

I will preface this with the fact that I have limited knowledge in programming and do not know the limitations of .xml

Your solution would work as long as you make sure the positive metagenic qualities are -10/-20/-30 respectively and ensure that the user has to pick both the pos and neg qaulities and they must both match the chosen surge quality. This seems so manual though, your program is so much cooler than that, but a simple solution in the meantime.

The coolest way would be if you would only have to pick the surge quality. When this is done, both quality lists would dynamically populate with all the metagenic qualities which were not there before. In the build point summary display, either below or next to in parenthesis, a pos and neg metagenic quality title will be displayed with -10/-20/-30 and 5/10/15 respectively. As you pick metagenic qualities the goal will be to zero out those metagenic numbers. Text would be red or highlighted until that condition is met. Thus your total bp count for those metagenic qualities will not be affected.

Ok so as far as implementing, maybe you can give each quality two values. A normal value and a metagenic value. (Ex. Bilingual 5/0, Bicardiac 0/10) Then you write some sort of if statement:
If surge is selected and pos metagen bonus bp is less than zero
then add metagenic value to bonus
Otherwise add to quality bp total

Hopefully this makes sense.

+Quote Post
Nebular
post Apr 25 2011, 06:21 PM
Post #72

Shooting Target

Adding a whole bunch of extra support for either refunding BP in the background, giving everything 2 BP costs, or making some brute-force exceptions in the code for 3 Qualities that vary from the norm and aren't commonly used is something I'm trying to avoid (and one of the reasons I changed how Uneducated worked recently). I'd rather put in a solution that at least has some reusable code and that people can put to use in custom data files.

I had thought about a dynamic list of Qualities when I first built the list, but decided to go with the full list instead. If you know you want Quality X, you can always see it in the list. If you try to select it and don't meet the requirements, you're shown the list of other Qualities/Metatypes/Metavariants that you need to have to take it, so you can either take those Qualities, or back out and create your character with the correct Metatype rather than trying to guess that the requirements are. This is probably more helpful to GMs creating NPCs.

I do, however, like the idea of only having to select the one SURGE Quality. I think I may do a hybrid of these two solutions. Implement the Qualities I had outlined above, but add in support for saying if Quality X is selected, Quality Y and Z are automatically selected for you. This eliminates the need for people to know they need to select them (which admittedly isn't intuitive at all) and could be re-used in custom data files.

+Quote Post
Argent
post Apr 25 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #73

Target

Sounds good. Will keep you updated if I find any more discrepancies.

+Quote Post
Vulcanisik
post Apr 25 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #74

Target

Member No.: 28,849

I really love what you've done with this character generator! I've actually turned on a few of my friends to it as well. So far it's the most versatile and correct generator I've seen so far out there. I love the fact that you've included data from all of the books like Arsenal, Augmentation, Street Magic and so on. Makes it helpful for just testing out character builds.

+Quote Post
Nebular
post Apr 25 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #75

Shooting Target

Another one for good measure, 'cause the SURGE Quality thing and the Attribute layout were bugging me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Build 55
  • Metagenetic Improvement Positive Quality now correctly increase the selected Attribute's minimum value by 1
  • removed the <aug /> tag from Genetic Optimization since the Augmented Maximum is now correctly calculated on its own
  • Cyberware and Bioware now write their page information to the printout
  • loading a character with a Commlink Upgrade or Commlink Operating System Upgrade no longer causes the load to fail
  • number of bonded Foci is now limited to the character's MAG Attribute value
  • Ignore Rules character option now lets any number of Active and Knowledge Skills be at Rating 5 or higher
  • Ignore Rules character option now raises the Skill Group Rating maximum to 6
  • Attribute values are now easier to read: number beside the numeric field now shows the total Augmented value (if any) while Metatype Minimum / Maximum (Augmented Maximum) have been pushed to the side
  • added support for <print /> to qualities.xml which, when set to "no", suppresses the Quality from being printed
  • added support for <forcecheck /> to qualities.xml which forcefully selects additional Qualities when the Quality in question is selected
  • put SURGE Quality BP cost back to standard value and added Positive and Negative Qualities to compensate for the BP spent when selecting the Qualities SURGE requires
  • Save As now pre-populates the file name if one is available
  • moved Bonded Foci list to the Gear tab
  • Bonded Foci list is now usable by anyone with a MAG Attribute

+Quote Post

153 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:29 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.