5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Could a wingless pixie fly?
crash2029
post Apr 5 2011, 09:12 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

I am making a pixie character for a twisted GM who thinks it would be cool. I was thinking of having my character have an accident which destroyed his wings in his backstory. I was wondering, since pixie flight is based at least partly on magic, could they still fly?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Apr 5 2011, 09:15 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

Gamewise i would say yes. The ability to fly is magic, but if the wings are needed (even if it is just a mental thing) is not clear. I would also say that a dragon without wings can fly. But for the fluff, i would give him a mental handicap that prevents flying....

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Apr 5 2011, 11:48 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Always such decisions. Well, in my game i would say no. Magic works through signs and rituals (Well it SHOULD anyway) and also... WHY would they have wings if they don't need any? The pixie in my game needs her wings free to fly. So she has got problems with full armour. (So far she has a detachable bulletproof "bag" she can open on her military armour)

Really, ALL decisions you can make to have the pixies have at least a few drawbacks should be taken. (They already are the cheapest race for SUPER-attributes, fly for free at the fastest speed, are hard to hit etc.) So at least we can have them socially not accepted (and memorable) and needing their wings free to move.

+Quote Post
Kliko
post Apr 5 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 12,403

No they can't, because that would just be silly.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 5 2011, 01:25 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Ditto: it's 100% magical flight, but you can't get rid of about the only minor flaw pixies have (inconvenient, gaudy wings). I like the idea of a psychological block on flight, or something like that.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 5 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

*Laughs Evilly As I Pull The Wings Off Of Pixies*

+Quote Post
jaellot
post Apr 5 2011, 02:00 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,971

In that vein of thinking, would it kill pixies if you were to say "I don't beleive in fairies?". Now that's a weakness.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 5 2011, 02:03 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

No, they'd likely light a fireball under your groin for saying that to change your mind rather quick.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 5 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

QUOTE (Kliko @ Apr 5 2011, 08:19 AM) *

This.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 5 2011, 02:36 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Kliko @ Apr 5 2011, 06:19 AM) *

Quoted for Truth. Anything else is just laughable...

+Quote Post
Makki
post Apr 5 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 5 2011, 04:15 AM) *
Gamewise i would say yes. The ability to fly is magic, but if the wings are needed (even if it is just a mental thing) is not clear. I would also say that a dragon without wings can fly. But for the fluff, i would give him a mental handicap that prevents flying....

this would be a nice character actually.
Pixie who can't fly and relies on riding some drone, because their movement rate is only 1/4.
With Mental Handycap (can't fly), Enemy+Vendetta (the guy who ripped off the wings).
Maybe a doberman with a mini rigger cocoon and mage sight fiber optic?

+Quote Post
jaellot
post Apr 5 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,971

Anybody remember the Blood Charm from the Theran Empire book for Earthdawn, entitled Wings of Fire? Or something like that. I remember the text for it specifically mentioning Windlings who lost their wings (and thus their ability to fly) would get such a charm, in an effort to once again fly. Sort of lends credence to the idea of needing the wings, but also might be an interesting plot for a session. Hit some dragon's horde, or the Atlantean Foundation for some such artifact of old...

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Apr 5 2011, 03:22 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,589

Neat NPC idea; a pixie with cyber wings. The resulting Essence loss and trauma of losing what is magical & saguine turns a creature of frivolity and innocence into a dark, more-machine-than-man instrument of torment and destruction.
A toxic, cyber pixie if you will.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Apr 5 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Apr 5 2011, 10:22 AM) *
Neat NPC idea; a pixie with cyber wings. The resulting Essence loss and trauma of losing what is magical & saguine turns a creature of frivolity and innocence into a dark, more-machine-than-man instrument of torment and destruction.
A toxic, cyber pixie if you will.

bah, why NPC? I say PC, just leave out the "toxic" and make him run and crave for delta cyber wings.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 5 2011, 04:12 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Makki @ Apr 5 2011, 09:00 AM) *
bah, why NPC? I say PC, just leave out the "toxic" and make him run and crave for delta cyber wings.

Naah, just regrow them using Clonal Wings. Easy Peasy, and no Essence Hit (and thus no magic loss)... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smokin.gif)

Though the idea of a Toxic Cyber Pixie is entertaining, to say the least... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Apr 5 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

*muses about pixie clonal wings*

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 5 2011, 07:06 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

I wonder if there'd be a market big enough for wing extensions, for those Pixies that have Wing Envy?

I mean, I'm sure there's AR Spam of it...

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 5 2011, 08:18 PM
Post #18

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 5 2011, 01:06 PM) *
I wonder if there'd be a market big enough for wing extensions, for those Pixies that have Wing Envy?

I mean, I'm sure there's AR Spam of it...

Heh... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Apr 5 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Apr 5 2011, 11:48 AM) *
Really, ALL decisions you can make to have the pixies have at least a few drawbacks should be taken. (They already are the cheapest race for SUPER-attributes, fly for free at the fastest speed, are hard to hit etc.)

They also tend to start with suicidally low Body attributes, cost 20 BP more if you buy off the Uneducated flaw (and if you don't buy it off, Uneducated is one of the worst flaws in the game as long as you play within the sprawl), can't accept standard cyber- and bioware and will need a personal armorer willing to tailor the 4-6 points of armor the average pixie PC can wear without encumbrance.
At least then you can't just beat them to death with a flyswatter.

I'll admit that pixie mages or infiltration adepts are extremely good at what they do, but that should be expected when you overspecialize to such a degree.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 5 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

The one time I had a Pixie in the game, his CommLink has "Infected" with an E-Ghost named "Metalhead Mike".

The group ended up adopting him.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 5 2011, 08:33 PM
Post #21

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

You wouldn't get augmentation, though, you'd be an adept. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Pixies do indeed have some drawbacks… thank god. Flight without wings in an otherwise humanoid shape would be losing one of their major drawbacks.

+Quote Post
Megu
post Apr 6 2011, 01:34 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,268

I kind of assumed that the wings were for maneuvering, but thrust was magical. So yeah, you'd still be able to fly, but steering in midflight would be much more difficult.

As far as cyber wings or anything like that goes, I made an NPC from a changeling gang with gigantic butterfly wings. They called her Chicago, for pretty obvious reasons. Anyways, it was quite the fashion statement, so she was the one that did a lot of their negotiating.

+Quote Post
Megu
post Apr 6 2011, 01:34 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

I kind of assumed that the wings were for maneuvering, but thrust was magical. So yeah, you'd still be able to fly, but steering in midflight would be much more difficult.

As far as cyber wings or anything like that goes, I made an NPC from a changeling gang with gigantic butterfly wings. They called her Chicago, for pretty obvious reasons. Anyways, it was quite the fashion statement, so she was the one that did a lot of their negotiating.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 6 2011, 02:17 AM
Post #24

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Megu @ Apr 5 2011, 06:34 PM) *

Unfortunately, that is an assumption that is not backed up by anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Megu
post Apr 6 2011, 07:33 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 5 2011, 08:17 PM) *
Unfortunately, that is an assumption that is not backed up by anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

Not under any illusions about that. I'm just saying, the fact that pixies hover either indicate hummingbirdlike flight, which would take an enormous amount of energy, or there's something else holding em up. Just looking at this from an observational standpoint and working backwards.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:32 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.