Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skillwires - maximum rating
Machiavelli
post Apr 7 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,749

Acc. to the RAW the limit for actionsofts is 4, linguasofts and knowsofts are limited to rating 5 (if i recall correctly, still don´t have the PDF´s on the business computer). Somebody mentioned something about options in "Unwired" to possibly increase this ratings. What exactly would be the option and what exactly is possible?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Apr 7 2011, 11:52 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

Customized Skillsofts grant you a +1 DP bonus to the skill, but the skillsoft is only usable for yourself.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Apr 7 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Cool, i was not going to share my skillsofts with other people anyway. ^^ How much is it more than the common skillsoft (it is already quite expensive). And do i have to have a rating 5 skillwire to run the customized skillsoft with 5 dices or is it still a rating 4 actionsoft just with one bonus dice?

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Apr 7 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

The latter, it still counts as Rating 4. Can't say off the top of my head how expensive the upgrade is, but I recall it being fairly cheap.

Skillsoft sharing is only of importance when you have a TM with biowire in your group, since he needs the original skillsoft to emulate them.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Apr 7 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Bah, we have a TM as our rigger, but i am not sharing things. That is not SR, SR is about looting.^^

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Apr 7 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 7 2011, 01:28 PM) *
Bah, we have a TM as our rigger, but i am not sharing things. That is not SR, SR is about looting.^^

I supposed you guys could share a skillsoft looted off someone, assuming it's not personalized.

But then again, it all depends on the group and the relationships between the characters.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Apr 7 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Skillsofts are not very common because our GM never thought they could become handy. So i don´t expect an NPC to have some. So no looting....*sob*. The only thing he offers us are free Ares Alpha Combatguns, but they tend to explode all the time...^^

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Apr 7 2011, 01:04 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 7 2011, 01:53 PM) *
Skillsofts are not very common because our GM never thought they could become handy. So i don´t expect an NPC to have some. So no looting....*sob*. The only thing he offers us are free Ares Alpha Combatguns, but they tend to explode all the time...^^

We've got a saying here that goes like this "look a gift horse in the mouth too". Check them for biometric security, maybe they're set to explode. Or you should cut down on the Ex-Ex ammo, or get a spirit with the Guard power.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Apr 7 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Already tried. We usually refuse to take this gun in the hand, because the failure-risk is strangly much higher than for every other gun. We call it the "AACG-curse". Maybe we only have the bad luck to get always the monday-production pieces in our hands, i don´t know...

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 7 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #10

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Side note: SR is *not* about looting. It's about getting paid, then buying things on the black market.

He'd probably give all his 'lootable' skillsofts the Overdrive option. It's pretty nasty.

+Quote Post
Fauxknight
post Apr 7 2011, 01:37 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,814

The chips might max out at 4, but a higher rating system can run more simultaneous skillsofts.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Apr 7 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 7 2011, 02:34 PM) *
Side note: SR is *not* about looting. It's about getting paid, then buying things on the black market.

He'd probably give all his 'lootable' skillsofts the Overdrive option. It's pretty nasty.

Side note: That is what they want you to believe, but basically humans are hunters and collectors and looting is much more satisfying than "earning" money. Besides that, SR is about playing a criminal, not a wageslave. Looting is absolutely fine during a run and (especially in our group) the little cherry on top of the ice-cream.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 7 2011, 02:04 PM
Post #13

Advocatus Diaboli

I won't get into it here, because there are already threads explaining why you're wrong, Machiavelli. ;D

There are a couple other activesoft tweaks you can get, but none are really as good as Personalized.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Apr 7 2011, 02:17 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

We will discuss this topic further the next time i am in the US of A.^^

So personalized is the best, but are the other options (do i really have to read unwired???) stackable?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 7 2011, 02:18 PM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

They're Options, so you can't have more of them than Program Rating/2 (i.e., max 2 with activesoft 4). DIMAP is kinda halfway useful.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Apr 7 2011, 02:21 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

I see, i HAVE to read Unwired....argh...i mostly play mages....unwired is the book of evil....grmmmlllll

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Apr 7 2011, 02:34 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 7 2011, 02:21 PM) *
I see, i HAVE to read Unwired....argh...i mostly play mages....unwired is the book of evil....grmmmlllll

Unwired is the book of evil for many reasons. Hence why I usually call it Unhinged.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Apr 7 2011, 02:38 PM
Post #18

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

The power of skillsofts:

Rating 6 Skillwire
Rating 4 skillsoft + Personalized + PLUSCODE(3)=5dice, for 1 slot. You can permanently have 6 rating 4(5) skills running at any one time, and you can load them in and out very easily,.

Now you can't specialize, etc. But it's perfect for the, "you can fly a helicopter?" "I can now."

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 7 2011, 02:47 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

"Where did you learn to fly a blimp?"

*Holds up a chip* "MicroDeck."

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 7 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Apr 7 2011, 05:24 AM) *
The latter, it still counts as Rating 4. Can't say off the top of my head how expensive the upgrade is, but I recall it being fairly cheap.

Skillsoft sharing is only of importance when you have a TM with biowire in your group, since he needs the original skillsoft to emulate them.

Until he emulates it into a CF anyways.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Apr 7 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (Cheops @ Apr 7 2011, 03:34 PM) *
Unwired is the book of evil for many reasons. Hence why I usually call it Unhinged.

I love Unwired! "Wish you could tell that shaman to RTFM?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 7 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (sabs @ Apr 7 2011, 07:38 AM) *
The power of skillsofts:

Rating 6 Skillwire
Rating 4 skillsoft + Personalized + PLUSCODE(3)=5dice, for 1 slot. You can permanently have 6 rating 4(5) skills running at any one time, and you can load them in and out very easily,.

Now you can't specialize, etc. But it's perfect for the, "you can fly a helicopter?" "I can now."

Couple of Problems here...

1. Skilwires max out at Rating 5...
2. You can run 2x rating in Slot costs, so for your RATING 5 Skillwires system and Rated 4, Personalized/Pluscoded (3) Skillsofts (Costs 1 Slot in teh Skillwire System), you can have 10 of them running (5x2 = 10 Slots)...

With the Skillwire Expert System, you can even reroll failures (IIRC)...

Anyways... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Apr 7 2011, 03:59 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Apr 7 2011, 04:50 PM) *
I love Unwired! "Wish you could tell that shaman to RTFM?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Goddesses, I'm such a fucking fanboy.....

Incidentally, is there any reason that DIMAP and Skillwire Exper System both do the same thing? Are they meant to be mutually exclusive?

+Quote Post
Makki
post Apr 7 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

the problem with skillwires is their cost. and you will need to buy them legally, if you want one personalized to your own neural infrastructre. they cost almost the same in BP (2.5) at chargen as buying the actual skill (4), which you can specialize and use edge on.
If you go with pirated ones, they won't be personalized to you, unless you're a clone Iguess.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 7 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Apr 7 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Goddesses, I'm such a fucking fanboy.....

Incidentally, is there any reason that DIMAP and Skillwire Exper System both do the same thing? Are they meant to be mutually exclusive?

One is a program option that costs no essence. The other is 'Ware, which costs essence. For the Mage/Technomancer, DIMAP is a better option than the Skillwire Expert System.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:41 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.