IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dicenomicon Formulas for SR4?, Anyone clever using this lovely app for SR4?
SIN
post Apr 8 2011, 02:59 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,950

Hello,

I've recently got Dicenomicon (very sexy and customisable dice-roller app) for my iPad, but struggling to get SR4 formulas to work correctly. I can get the basics of counting successes etc. but get really stuck when trying to get the formula to take glitches and critical glitches into account. Is anyone else using this app, and if so, is there any chance they could share their formulas?

I found the following on the Dicenomicon forums, but it doesn't seem to work quite right. I tried a few rolls with very small dice pools and it wasn't counting correctly - with a dice pool of two for example, it wasn't listing it as a glitch if one die rolled a 1 and the other rolled a success, and with a dice pool of three, it kept telling me I'd got a critical glitch if a single 1 came up with no successes. Unless I'm misunderstanding what the rules means by "half or more", the two scenarios above are just wrong.

Anyone able to help at all?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Semerkhet
post Apr 8 2011, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,079

I've been using this app specifically designed for SR4.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sr4-dice-to...d353101816?mt=8

I've been very happy with it.

+Quote Post
SIN
post Apr 8 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #3

Target

Ooh, free too! I'll take a look thanks.

Would still be nice to be able to get Dicenomicon working though - the tumbling dice animation makes me almost as happy as rolling a real fistful of dice.

+Quote Post
otakusensei
post Apr 8 2011, 05:36 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,514

Here are the instructions sent to me by one of my players. Worked perfectly for me:

http://boards.gandreas.com/viewtopic.php?f...shadowrun#p1890

Shadowrun normal roll

@2 ← #1 d6 = 1 .
@1 ← $1 ≥ 5 .
if @1 ≥ @2 then
if @1 = 0 then
“Fail”
else
@1
end
else if @2 = #1 then
“Botch”
else
if @1 = 0 then
“Critical Glitch”
else
@1 + “ But With A Glitch”
end
end
end

Shadowrun Exploding 6s (edge roll)

@2 ← #1 d*6 = 1 .
@1 ← $1 ≥ 5 .
if @1 ≥ @2 then
if @1 = 0 then
“Fail”
else
@1
end
else if @2 = #1 then
“Botch”
else
if @1 = 0 then
“Critical Glitch”
else
end
end
end

Instructions
1-run dicenomicon and tap the "I" in the upper right
2-go to "sharing" then "web-based" editor
3-fill in the username/password to whatever you like and tap "start server"
4-open up another browser window and in the url type the http address shown on the dicenomicon program after you tapped "start server"
5-in the browser click the "add roll" button, then the link created just above it (should be named 3d6)
6-place a name for the roll and copy/paste the formula into the formula field.
7-click on the "validate" button at the bottem, then "save changes"
8-rinse repeat step 5 to 7 to add more rolls with new names (ie the edge roll)
9-once done, stop server from dicenomicon and backout to original settings for the program on your device
10-tap "favorite rolls" then tap one of the formulas you added
11-double tap on the "#1" variable in the first line of the formula ( line should be @2 ← #1 d*6 = 1 . [double tap the #1])
12-a "edit parameter #1" window should open up. In the first line type something like "How many die" or "enter number of die" text. This will be the question the prompt will ask when the formula is ran. The defualt line should be 1, style should be the greater than equal to 0 option.
13- tap "save" in the upper left corner then "done" in the upper right.
14-to test, go to the roll table top screen and tap the "f" in the upper left. select the forumla you want to roll. DONE

+Quote Post
SIN
post Apr 8 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #5

Target

Thanks Otaku, but that's the formula I'm using and getting weird results from. Roll two dice for a while, until you get what should be a glitch (a success and a 1) - it doesn't state it's a glitch. Perhaps it only struggles with small dice pools - any idea?

+Quote Post
capt.pantsless
post Apr 8 2011, 07:50 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,032

QUOTE (otakusensei @ Apr 8 2011, 11:36 AM) *
Shadowrun normal roll

@2 ← #1 d6 = 1 .
@1 ← $1 ≥ 5 .
if @1 ≥ @2 then
if @1 = 0 then
“Fail”
else
@1
end
else if @2 = #1 then
“Botch”
else
if @1 = 0 then
“Critical Glitch”
else
end
end
end

While I've never seen ELDERScript before, it looks like this code has the wrong definition of a glitch. Line 3 shouldn't be:
if @1 ≥ @2 then
That's the common misconception of more 1's than hits. It needs to be something more like
if #1/2 > @2 then
I.e. the total dice pool divided by 2 being greater than the number of 1's.

I don't have this app, so I can't test anything, but it sure looks like somebody is thinking more like World of Darkness - e.g. a 'Botch' isn't something we have in SR4.

+Quote Post
SIN
post Apr 9 2011, 09:09 AM
Post #7

Target

Thanks Captain. It doesn't surprise me at all that it's based on a WoD formula (bloody d10s get everywhere).

Maybe I'll take the info I've gathered to the Dicenomicon forums and see if anyone can help - I always like to try here on DS first when I have SR questions 'cos you're all so helpful (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

...that isn't meant to sound sarcastic by the way you genuinely are.

Thanks for the help so far.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:41 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.