> What is a Shadowrunner?, At his very base
Socinus
post Apr 10 2011, 09:58 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,881

What is a Shadowrunner?

This is a question that's come up amongst our group lately; what, ultimately, drives a Shadowrunner? Is there a specific type of person that tends to be Shadowrunners?

My two cents is that Shadowrunners are like any other slice of (meta)humanity; you've got people in it for the money, in it for the ideals, in it for the experience, in it for the action, in it for the fun. Shadowrunners have widely varied personalities, approaches, and methods of handling their work. There is room for psychotic head-cases as well as play-it-cool Batman types and everything in between. The only real commonalities between most runners is a certain amount of moral flexibility (if you aren't actively doing something horrible, you are usually supporting or buying from people who are) and a sense of practicality.

Beyond that, it's all (meta)human nature.

What do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hamsnibit
post Apr 10 2011, 02:15 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,723

Well, mate you just summed it all up.
Whats more to say?

+Quote Post
Nifft
post Apr 10 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,227

QUOTE (Socinus @ Apr 10 2011, 04:58 AM) *
What is a Shadowrunner?
A miserable little pile of secrets.

This is a question that's come up amongst our group lately; what, ultimately, drives a Shadowrunner? Is there a specific type of person that tends to be Shadowrunners?
Yes: people who lack better options.

My two cents is that Shadowrunners are like any other slice of (meta)humanity; you've got people in it for the money, in it for the ideals, in it for the experience, in it for the action, in it for the fun. Shadowrunners have widely varied personalities, approaches, and methods of handling their work. There is room for psychotic head-cases as well as play-it-cool Batman types and everything in between. The only real commonalities between most runners is a certain amount of moral flexibility (if you aren't actively doing something horrible, you are usually supporting or buying from people who are) and a sense of practicality.
Mmm. I don't think you can have people "in it for the ideals" if those same people are required to have "a certain amount of moral flexibility".

There's certainly room for a wide range between mirror-shade ice-cool operators and FUCK YEAH PINK MOHAWK, but nobody is a heroic Batman. They're either a disturbed, driven-by-crazy Batman or a desperate, law-of-last-resort Batman.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 10 2011, 02:53 PM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Nifft @ Apr 10 2011, 10:22 PM) *

Yes: people who are the best option.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Apr 10 2011, 03:09 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,437

there is a whole chapter in Attitude talking about this.
Basically, people who were born in a criminal enviroment and keep the way of life and people who has useful skills but somehow got rejected by the "Light" world and now must rely to the shadows to the survive.

+Quote Post
ShadowWalker
post Apr 10 2011, 03:27 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,696

Shadowrunners are like the Borg, but with less empathy.
http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/File:MPost11...ator8738167.jpg

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 10 2011, 04:55 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Or adrenalin junkies who are in it for the rush. They can't get out of the life even if they do make "The Big Score" and are able to retire.

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Apr 10 2011, 06:01 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,881

QUOTE (Nifft @ Apr 10 2011, 03:22 PM) *
Mmm. I don't think you can have people "in it for the ideals" if those same people are required to have "a certain amount of moral flexibility".

You've got a bunch of anti-fa and anti-corporate groups, runners could easily be running to fight against groups they see as evil or in need of destroying.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 10 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Sort of. Those people might resemble or interact with runners, but runners 'at their very base' are deniable assets in it for the money. They may be in it for other things *and* money, or they may be mercenaries available only to certain causes or for certain jobs (no wetwork, only wetwork, etc.), but they're freelance criminal mercenaries. They're not organized crime, corp-sec, revolutionaries, PMC, or anything like that.

+Quote Post
longbowrocks
post Apr 10 2011, 06:59 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 24,230

Here's my take:

The police often question him,
just because they find him interesting.
His beard alone,
has experienced more than a lesser man's entire body.
His blood,
smells like cologne.
He is,
the most interesting Shadowrunner in the world.

"I don't always take jobs, but when I do, I prefer Mrs. Johnson."
"If you know what I mean."

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 10 2011, 06:59 PM
Post #11

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

QUOTE (Nifft @ Apr 10 2011, 09:22 AM) *

There's certainly room for a wide range between mirror-shade ice-cool operators and FUCK YEAH PINK MOHAWK, but nobody is a heroic Batman. They're either a disturbed, driven-by-crazy Batman or a desperate, law-of-last-resort Batman.

There are those would rather live life as a SINless criminal, etching out a living anyway they can in the violent underworld of the shadows than give up their free will for the safe, easy, mindless, oppressive life of a corporate wageslave. That is an ideal and kind of the basic premise behind Shadowrun (the Shadows referring to those places outside the corporate sphere of influence where your PC is supposed to reside).

Plus there is a long tradition of "Hooding", which is cannon.

Saying that all Shadowrunners are emotionless, morally-void killers is boring. Ideals allow for shades of grey- like what lengths will your character really go to [find his long lost love] or [save his mom from that cancer] or [keep the kitten orphanage running]. Ideals are very much a shadowrunner trait, depending on the shadowrunner.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 10 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Method @ Apr 10 2011, 02:59 PM) *
There are those would rather live life as a SINless criminal, etching out a living anyway they can in the violent underworld of the shadows than give up their free will for the safe, easy, mindless, oppressive life of a corporate wageslave. That is an ideal and kind of the basic premise behind Shadowrun (the Shadows referring to those places outside the corporate sphere of influence where your PC is supposed to reside).

Plus there is a long tradition of "Hooding", which is cannon.

Saying that all Shadowrunners are emotionless, morally-void killers is boring. Ideals allow for shades of grey- like what lengths will your character really go to [find his long lost love] or [save his mom from that cancer] or [keep the kitten orphanage running]. Ideals are very much a shadowrunner trait, depending on the shadowrunner.

I feel like this is correct. To understand the underlying concept of the shadowrunner it is important to understand the themes from 80s cyberpunk fiction and the anti-corporate cultural zeitgeist present in popular science fiction of the time.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Apr 11 2011, 12:39 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

QUOTE (Nifft @ Apr 10 2011, 07:22 AM) *
<snip>

<snip>

You don't have to lack better options; some Shadowrunners do quite well for themselves and really enjoy their work. Furthermore, you can be morally flexible and still have ideals. For example, you could be morally flexible in some ways but an idealist in others, or you could be a hypocrite (I can just imagine a human supremacist who goblinizes or SURGEs and continues to rail against metahumans).

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Apr 11 2011, 01:21 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I think at the core a shadowrunner may be a freelance criminal, generally hired for corporate espionage and sabotage as a deniable asset - some will be desperate, some will be idealistic, some will be professionals, and some will be deranged.

But the term shadowrunner also implies an elite status. This is why small-time criminals will hunger to be called shadowrunners, and why there will be endless debates about what a "real" shadowrunner is, among the criminal community.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 11 2011, 01:26 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

A Shadowrunner is someone that shoots people in the face for money. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 11 2011, 01:32 AM
Post #16

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

What is a Shadowrunner?

They're whores, essentially. Their primary source of income is giving back-ally handjobs to megacorporations, metaphorically speaking.

It's good money, surprisingly. More importantly, it gives them a degree of freedom that people who live within the system never experience.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 11 2011, 01:39 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 10 2011, 08:32 PM) *
They're whores, essentially. Their primary source of income is giving back-ally handjobs to megacorporations, metaphorically speaking.

Meraphorically?

Wow, have you been lucky dealing with the Mr. Johnsons.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Apr 11 2011, 02:05 AM
Post #18

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

A Shadowrunner is a modern day Ninja.

They are criminals for hire. Most often employed when you don't want people to know it was you that set them on their task, often stealthy jobs of theft or murder.

-k

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Apr 11 2011, 02:24 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 10 2011, 07:05 PM) *
A Shadowrunner is a modern day Ninja.

And when the shadowrunners are also ghouls, you get this ^_^

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 11 2011, 02:51 AM
Post #20

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 10 2011, 08:32 PM) *
They're whores, essentially.

I've often described them as "somewhere between a prostitute and a military contractor," myself.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Apr 11 2011, 02:52 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 10 2011, 07:51 PM) *
I've often described them as "somewhere between a prostitute and a military contractor," myself.

In other words, a mercenary (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 11 2011, 03:09 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 10 2011, 09:52 PM) *
In other words, a mercenary (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Please, "Private Military Contractor".

Oh Ghost, I want to wash my mouth out with bleach now for that PC Garbage!

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Apr 11 2011, 03:22 AM
Post #23

Shooting Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 10 2011, 08:09 PM) *
Please, "Private Military Contractor".

Oh Ghost, I want to wash my mouth out with bleach now for that PC Garbage!

Speaking as an American, Blackwater is a disgrace (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sarcastic.gif)

And yes, I know you're an American too, CanRay. UnitedStatsian doesn't sound right, and Estadounidense makes most people scratch their heads.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 11 2011, 03:52 AM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

It's not Blackwater, it's 'Xe', right?

Anyway, I specifically pointed out that shadowrunners are mercenaries, but not PMCs. The latter is too organized and military for the core meaning of 'shadowrunner'.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Apr 11 2011, 04:10 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 10 2011, 05:32 PM) *

It's good money, surprisingly. More importantly, it gives them a degree of freedom that people who live within the system never experience.

QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 10 2011, 05:39 PM) *
Meraphorically?

Wow, have you been lucky dealing with the Mr. Johnsons.

Remember, the run isn't over until the Johnson has screwed you twice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:27 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.