IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shamanic Masks, Do they exist in the current edition?
Tashiro
post Apr 21 2011, 05:16 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,847

I remember a time when shamans had a 'mask', the manifestation of their totem when they cast a spell. I'm curious if that still exists, or can all mages now simply cast a spell without any motion, gestures, or signs of what they're doing. My wife mentions that in the early novels, the shamanic mask appeared when the shaman did major / important magic.

I also noticed 'exclusive spells' have been taken out as well, I think.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Apr 21 2011, 05:40 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,589

Shamanic Masks are described on page 179 of SR4a.
They don't go into terrific detail, but I maintain that anyone with a mentor spirit has one.

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Apr 21 2011, 05:45 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

Still exists, perhaps in a slightly different form from earlier editions. It seems that it's entirely up to the player / GM if there will be a shamanic mask.

SR4A, p181
"Many shamans find that this totem expresses itself through them when they use magical skills, often changing their appearance slightly to suggest their totem animal . This phenomenon is called a shamanic mask (see Noticing Magic, p. 179). A player can choose whether or not this effect is apparent for her character."

Noticing magic: SR4A, p 179
"Magicians of some traditions display a more visible change when practicing magic known as the shamanic mask. The shamanic mask typically changes the magician’s features temporarily to display characteristics appropriate to her mentor spirit or tradition—an eagle shaman, for example, might seem to have feathers or beaklike features while spellcasting or summoning."
"More powerful magic is easier to spot with the gathered mana normally appearing as a disturbance or glowing aura in the air around the caster. The gamemaster should apply additional modifiers as appropriate, or if the perceiver is Awakened themselves (+2 dice), astrally perceiving (+2 dice), or if a shamanic mask is evident (+2 dice)."

*edit* I don't remember what "exclusive spells" are, but my vague recollection makes me think they're similar to fetish'ed spells? Or maybe geas'ed spells?

+Quote Post
Tashiro
post Apr 21 2011, 05:57 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Apr 21 2011, 12:45 AM) *
*edit* I don't remember what "exclusive spells" are, but my vague recollection makes me think they're similar to fetish'ed spells? Or maybe geas'ed spells?

It was a spell which required a focus to even work. It helped cut back on the drain, if I remember correctly, allowing you to throw around spells with a greater force. There was a spell focus spell, and then an exclusive spell focus. Hmm, I'll need to look up fetished spells again, that rings a bell, but I don't think it was what I was looking for.

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Apr 21 2011, 05:58 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,589

Limited Spells, page 182 of SR4a.
Fetishes are still alive and well.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Apr 21 2011, 06:50 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Hm.... wasn't exclusive like that:

You can't do any other magical activity while doing an exclusive spell/activity.

Which meant pretty much: no sustaining when you cast it. (Also if i remember right changing planes was exclusive as well, so you couldn't take sustained spell with you just like that)

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Apr 21 2011, 08:06 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Apr 21 2011, 02:50 AM) *
Hm.... wasn't exclusive like that:

You can't do any other magical activity while doing an exclusive spell/activity.

Which meant pretty much: no sustaining when you cast it. (Also if i remember right changing planes was exclusive as well, so you couldn't take sustained spell with you just like that)

I think that these are old SR3 Rules ?!
(at least Planar Change is no exclusive Action anymore ! )

with an older Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Apr 21 2011, 05:55 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

SR4A only mentions fetishes under limited spells (p.182). Same for SR4. Seems that exclusive spells do not exist anymore.
Maybe i missed something in Street Magic or Digital Grimoire, though.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 21 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Apr 21 2011, 10:55 AM) *
SR4A only mentions fetishes under limited spells (p.182). Same for SR4. Seems that exclusive spells do not exist anymore.
Maybe i missed something in Street Magic or Digital Grimoire, though.

Exclusive Spells do not exist any longer. Magic has become stronger. The mana field is strengthening.

+Quote Post
Tashiro
post Apr 21 2011, 06:34 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Ah, okay, so I wasn't imagining things. Though one thing that did come to mind was that I still think magic drain is too low in most cases. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Sixgun_Sage
post Apr 21 2011, 07:39 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,783

Tymeaus brings up a valid point, as the metaplot keeps progressing we have seen magic grow stronger, it makes me really worried further iterations of the game will basically be Magicrun. I hope they atleast make more powerful magics reliant on advanced metamagics in the future...

+Quote Post
sabs
post Apr 21 2011, 08:11 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

Or Technology needs to keep pace.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Apr 21 2011, 08:40 PM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (sabs @ Apr 21 2011, 09:11 PM) *
Or Technology needs to keep pace.

I'd rather see technology gaining more of a foothold and advancing faster than magic.
If you want to balance sams and hackers against slightly more powerful mages, you could offer decidedly more powerful, cheaply available cyberware.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Apr 21 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

Need to resist the urge to make cyber/bio and magic more compatible. Many of the balance issues that lead to Magic Run, are usually mage/mystic adepts with 1 or 2 essence points of cyber

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Apr 21 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #15

Running Target

QUOTE (sabs @ Apr 21 2011, 09:49 PM) *
Need to resist the urge to make cyber/bio and magic more compatible. Many of the balance issues that lead to Magic Run, are usually mage/mystic adepts with 1 or 2 essence points of cyber

This could be counteracted if the best ware would be a combination of various systems with a high Essence cost (such as receiving additional benefits when you combine a MBW, balance-enhancing ware and a specific form of Muscle Replacement), or if more invasive implants would have higher benefits in the first place.

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Apr 22 2011, 01:01 AM
Post #16

Runner

My thoughts on the magic-creep, and cyberadepts, is that they wouldn't be a problem if the "old" rules still applied, where Magic loss was double Essence loss. Not sure why that rule got left out of this edition.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Apr 22 2011, 01:02 AM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Apr 22 2011, 02:01 AM) *
My thoughts on the magic-creep, and cyberadepts, is that they wouldn't be a problem if the "old" rules still applied, where Magic loss was double Essence loss. Not sure why that rule got left out of this edition.

That rule never applied to anyone except eagle shamans, though.

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Apr 22 2011, 01:04 AM
Post #18

Runner

Really? My memory must be going. I swear it was a rule in the 1st/2nd editions, for all Magically-active chars. Ah, well..

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Apr 22 2011, 02:47 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Well, later on it was tacked onto some other totems as well.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Apr 22 2011, 05:15 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Unicorn IIRC
The "Double Essence Loss "was Kind of a special Rule only for the Eagle Schaman(and Unicorns )

with a .... kinda special Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Apr 22 2011, 05:18 AM
Post #21

Runner

Well...well...<sputtering> it SHOULD be a rule, then!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Was there any rule, where operating in cyberspace was harder for mages, giving headaches or something? Maybe it was in a novel or something, I can't shake this memory...

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Apr 22 2011, 05:23 AM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Outer Space Kills Mages if they do any Magic
Its Kind of a Background count of 12 (or something) because it has absolutely no Gajasphere

He who dances in Silence
(Because in Space no one can hear You Scream)
Medicineman

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Apr 22 2011, 05:24 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,343

QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Apr 22 2011, 02:18 PM) *
Was there any rule, where operating in cyberspace was harder for mages, giving headaches or something? Maybe it was in a novel or something, I can't shake this memory...

I remember a +2 to TN for Mages in cyberspace due to it being so differnet from real/astral and being hard for the brain to switch between the realities.

-D

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Apr 22 2011, 05:28 AM
Post #24

Runner

thanks - I swore there was some kind of penalty for magic / technology interaction...glad I'm not (totally) crazy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tashiro
post Apr 22 2011, 05:33 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

If I remember from first edition, you added your magic rating to your TNs when in Cyberspace -- the more touched with magic you were, the harder it became. This might have carried into second edition as well. It's why Twist walked with a limp when he was decking.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:44 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.