IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 10 Fantastic Futuristic Materials that Actually Exist, and more Nu-tech ideas to make runners life difficult
TheWanderingJewe...
post Apr 25 2011, 11:50 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,025

http://weburbanist.com/2009/06/16/10-fanta...actually-exist/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheWanderingJewe...
post May 5 2011, 06:30 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,025

narry a comment? very well

I would have thought the light pourous concrete would have gotten at least a honorable mention

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post May 5 2011, 06:45 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (TheWanderingJewels @ May 5 2011, 03:30 PM) *
narry a comment? very well

I would have thought the light pourous concrete would have gotten at least a honorable mention

I liked the super non-Newtonian liquid. I think it would be something like this that would be put inside a rigger's cocoon.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 5 2011, 07:57 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

I've seen the concrete before, as well as the invisibility cloak, graphene,* the transparent aluminum, and the aerogel.

*They only won a Nobel prize for isolating it using scotch tape and a pencil.

+Quote Post
Nigel
post May 6 2011, 07:16 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,932

You can find a lot of examples of less fantastic but equally futuristic stuff at Inventables. Cool stuff is out there, you just have to look.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 6 2011, 01:02 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Hydrophobic sand is decades old. You can make your own with hairspray. It is, however, oodles of fun allowing you to make underwater sandcastles.

Gearless angle drive: meh. Betcha it uses a spring on the inside. And at a fixed 90 degree angle, not so useful.
Temperature sensitive flexible sheets are at least as old as hydrophobic sand. Hell, those some of those snap-on bracelets were made of the stuff back when they were cool.
Stretch Fabric is also not new.

Some of the other stuff I haven't heard of before, but either doesn't surprise me or isn't really "futuristic."

A usb chargeable battery is cool, but not really surprising.
Stretch sensors, bend sensors, machined springs, "flat wires" (oooh, who thought that one up? Seriously, not that unique)...

I mean, hell, I wondered about the feasibility of machined springs when I was young!

Also, way too much of the temperature sensitive materials. They've got glass, plastic, flexible sheets, and at least two fabrics.

Now, 3D spacial sound. That's cool.
(And no, it's not stereo surround sound, it works in the same way as 3D movies do with light, but instead uses sound waves)

+Quote Post
Tyro
post May 10 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

There's some pretty cool stuff in there. Thanks for the link (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post May 11 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #8

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 6 2011, 09:02 AM) *
Gearless angle drive: meh. Betcha it uses a spring on the inside.

No, I see how it works. There are three bent solid steel bars. They fit into holes in the two body segments, and all three can spin freely. The center bar however has a fixed depth position whereas the two outer bars can slide in and out of the holes. As the assembly turns, the outer bars slide in on the inside of the bend and out on the outside of the bend.

It's actually pretty clever. No springs needed.

I found a similar product elsewhere that does a 45 degree angle, but it's out of stock. Actually, poking around the internets, it appear a number of places carry similar products.

-k

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 12 2011, 02:44 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Ah, that's how it works, that's actually pretty clever.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:17 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.