Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spell X: Out of Stock, Whens spells go bad
Crimson Jack
post Mar 25 2004, 12:11 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,712

Are there any canon rules that explain how some spells don't make it to the current incarnations of Shadowrun? For instance, Turn to Goo disappeared. Does this mean that characters who possessed the knowledge of the spell suddenly don't any longer? I can understand why rules are changed, but does that also balefire the original spell completely from existence?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 25 2004, 01:20 AM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Just up and vanished. Same as decking naked from 1st ed.

~J

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Mar 25 2004, 01:33 AM
Post #3

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

Turn to Goo disappeared over a decade ago. Every cyber-dude thought it was a very unfair spell. They'd rather be blasted into thousands of pieces than lose their cyberware.

Each GM gets to decide whether he'll accept characters that still know spells from earlier editions of Shadowrun, and if so how they'll work in his game.

In our gaming group, we wanted to keep playing the same characters when we upgraded from SR2 to SR3, so we converted to SR3 spells and skills without penalty to the character.

P.S. "decking naked" in 1st edition didn't refer to your clothes. It meant going into the matrix without a cyberdeck. The physical connection was made with a "Program Carrier" implanted cyberware device, but it left your mind wide open to damage from opponents.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 25 2004, 01:58 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Technically, you can still "deck naked," only without the benefit of program carriers.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 25 2004, 02:09 AM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

You can? I thought they removed that entirely before they introduced Otaku in the Denver sourcebook. The revelation that Otaku don't need decks is certainly a lot less special if decking naked is still allowable...

~J

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 25 2004, 02:17 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Allowable, not reccomended. Basically, you, with a bare minimum of equipment, pit your Computer skill, unaided, against the IC. I'll look up the exact rules in a bit.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 25 2004, 02:49 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Hrm, I cannae find the exact reference, but for those who want to "deck naked":

You basically need a datajack with an ASIST converter, and a small terminal, or the equivalent implanted cybergear: MPCP 1, Bod 1, Sensors 1, Icon 1.

That appers to be the bare minimum necessary gear (yes, I know it doesn't sound like "decking naked," but those are the essential elements that the program carriers emulated back in the day).

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Mar 25 2004, 07:37 AM
Post #8

Running Target

I just had a toxic shaman use it against my team in a run against some glowpunks. Surprised the hell out of two of the veteran SR players. hehe

+Quote Post
Steel Machine
post Mar 25 2004, 09:30 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 6,098

In theory you could bring Turn to Goo back, simply using the Spell Creation rules. It is your game after all.

Besides the Gaming Police were disbanded at least a week ago. Really. :)

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Mar 25 2004, 10:25 AM
Post #10

Running Target

*comes out from the rock I was hiding under, looking sheepishly about*

+Quote Post
DigitalMage
post Mar 25 2004, 02:03 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 340

In regard to Program Carriers, the removal of them from the game was given a brief in-game explanation - it was in the Denver Sourcebook where they ar etalking about Otaku and Fastjack mentions that their powers aren't like decking naked and then proceeds to allude to teh fact that no one decks naked any longer as Program Carriers caused cancer or some other terrible condition!

+Quote Post
Rev
post Mar 25 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

Heh spell deletion is nothing. I had a shamanist charachter under shadowrun 2 and when we switched to sr3 he lost the ability to astrally project, and gained the ability to astrally perceive (hmm... or maybe just gained totem advantage dice) :)

+Quote Post
Arz
post Mar 26 2004, 05:35 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,751

If I recall, Turn to Goo is gone because it was a permanent transformation. All other transformations are sustained or degrading.

To be really nasty, have magicians follow deckers SOTA for programs. That'll chew through there spare change.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 26 2004, 09:20 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

DigitalMage: turns out you're right. Cellular damage of some variety.

~J

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.