Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Certified Cred Sticks, Now Exist
Rsthothothal
post May 17 2011, 02:04 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,471

Well, I suppose you'd have to put them on a flash drive or something, but bitcoins are untraceable electronic currency.

So that's pretty cool.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post May 17 2011, 02:18 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Hm hm... interesting.

I have to investigate this more thoroughly.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post May 17 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #3

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Rsthothothal @ May 17 2011, 04:04 PM) *
Well, I suppose you'd have to put them on a flash drive or something, but bitcoins are untraceable electronic currency.

So that's pretty cool.

Only really untraceable in that you do not need to present an id to start using the network. As such you can run the program to generate a key pair, trade for a while and then retire the key pair.

The last step because every transaction is signed by the public key, and so it is fully possible to backtrack the history of the individual coin to its origin.

Another interesting part is that the whole network acts as a single big ledger, so every time a transaction is done a selection of the network is asked to verify said transaction.

The last bit reminds me of how SR nuyen hacking can be a pain even without strong encryption. This because every damn bank and credit company will have a extensive ledger, and may even be called on to verify transfers. So when you do a transfer the entity your transferring to may work backwards in your transfer history and ask them to verify said history (or in the case of a certified stick, the transactions the stick has on file).

And the same with doing a SIN check, connecting to various legal offices and going "got this SIN on file?". The more that give a positive response, the more likely that the SIN is legit.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post May 17 2011, 06:22 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ May 17 2011, 05:34 PM) *
The last step because every transaction is signed by the public key, and so it is fully possible to backtrack the history of the individual coin to its origin.

Yep, Bitcoins are only pseudonymous and the means to link anonymous information to names are becoming more and more sophisticated. Just two examples:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~shmat/shmat_oak08netflix.pdf
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/may/11/p...gital-movements

But what I'm really wondering about is where the whole buzz suddenly comes from. Anonymous payment systems are nothing new (and up to now never came to anything), and Bitcoins also is a couple of years old...

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post May 18 2011, 08:24 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Wow, that is quite the sensationalist article.

When dealing with computers, there are pretty much two rules: everything can be hacked, and everything can be traced. While it may not be easy/worth the edit to do so, it can be done. Aside from that, a new currency isn't going to destabilize the worlds economy. Even today people find hauls of gold and precious metals that exceed the value of the number of Bitcoins out there, and they are just as easily transferable, and our economy is still around.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 17 2011, 03:21 PM
Post #6

panda!

http://bitbills.com/index.html

Now we can really talk about certified cred (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 17 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Why is my everything dreading this situation and just how much certain groups would love to be able to track *EVERYTHING*?

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jul 17 2011, 03:42 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 17 2011, 11:29 AM) *
Why is my everything dreading this situation and just how much certain groups would love to be able to track *EVERYTHING*?

They already do. Visa is starting to partner deals with stores, such that Visa knows what you buy and where you are (they have to, to do their job) and will start targeting you for advertisements via SMS.

You might buy a drink in Starbucks and 30 seconds later get a text message offering you 50% off one item at the GAP two blocks away, but for only the next hour.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jul 17 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #9

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

Hell, the largest seller of tracked buying habits and personal info in the world is... the US Postal Service.

-k

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 17 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Yet another reason I never order anything from the US. That, and customs is a royal pain.

*Sighs* Damnit, I'm not supposed to be feeling so old and paranoid yet...

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 17 2011, 04:25 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 17 2011, 10:02 AM) *
Yet another reason I never order anything from the US. That, and customs is a royal pain.

Indeed Canray, you're starting to sound like Fastjack... What with getting all old and all... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Rubic
post Jul 17 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 31,052

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 17 2011, 12:02 PM) *

Neither am I, but look where we find ourselves (me, for instance, in the US).

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 17 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #13

panda!

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 17 2011, 05:42 PM) *
They already do. Visa is starting to partner deals with stores, such that Visa knows what you buy and where you are (they have to, to do their job) and will start targeting you for advertisements via SMS.

You might buy a drink in Starbucks and 30 seconds later get a text message offering you 50% off one item at the GAP two blocks away, but for only the next hour.

I recall reading that banks had found a way to sell customer data without actually breaching any privacy laws. This by setting up a advertisement provider of their own. Basically the banks will be competing with Google, using the customer data they collect anyways as part of their existing services.

It is kinda ironic that big biz is becoming more of a big brother then government, thanks to their need to continually push more products and services.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 17 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 17 2011, 11:25 AM) *
Indeed Canray, you're starting to sound like Fastjack... What with getting all old and all... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
FastJack is in his early 70s and made of epic. I'm in my early 30s and far less epic.

Don't insult FastJack like that, he's looking for someone to punch in the junk, remember?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 17 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 17 2011, 11:03 AM) *
FastJack is in his early 70s and made of epic. I'm in my early 30s and far less epic.

Don't insult FastJack like that, he's looking for someone to punch in the junk, remember?

Heh... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I was confused, Must have been the Old Man Comments... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 17 2011, 05:31 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

I'm not old, I just feel that way sometimes... Also partly a wish for a shotgun... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 17 2011, 05:49 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 17 2011, 11:31 AM) *
I'm not old, I just feel that way sometimes... Also partly a wish for a shotgun... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I can sure understand both sentiments... Especially the wish for a Shotgun (Mine is still in Texas)... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:22 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.