IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drone Auto-Shelving Units, Because you don't trust Metahumans not to filch a few items...
CanRay
post May 19 2011, 09:50 PM
Post #1

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Horizon Anthropomorphic Stocking Clerk:

A commercial drone designed to stock shelves and keep track of inventory with digital precision, as well as monitor theft with hyper-heuristic possibilities to catch future attempts at shoplifting. These units were a popular brand with various A- and AA-Level commercial operations (Such as big name stores like Sears-Eatons and The Hudson's K-Mart) until the Technomancer scare of 2070, which brought Metahuman staff back into vogue. These Drones were quite large (They are three meters tall) to allow for reaching up to top shelves, and comes with "Life-Like Friendly Smiling Troll FaceŠ" software to make them more appealing, and had just enough personality software to politely answer simple questions about products or services the store offered. They are now found working in low-level convenience stores and in rural areas by store owners that either don't have enough family members to fill out a whole work crew, or are too cheap to hire staff.

Similar Models: AZT Beanpicker, Kong Wal-Mart ShelfMaster
Std. Upgrades: 2 Mechanical Arms, Walker Mode, Store Mapsoft 3, Products & Services Datasoft 3

Horizon Anthropomorphic Stocking Clerk
Handling: 0
Accel: 10/20
Speed: 20
Pilot: 3
Body: 3
Armor: 0
Sensors: 3
Availability: -
Cost: 3,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif)

Tiny Trog > I know a few folks in the Merc business that uses the Kong Wal-Mart model for Stretcher Bearers. As they were designed to work from the trucks to the shelves, and handle liquids at times, their crawler treads are better at handling light rubble without jostling injured people. Outside of a city, however, they get caught up in underbrush pretty easy. They also keep the armory organized pretty well, too, apparently. On the downside, they're toast against even light fire.

Money > The move away from Drones back to people has been a major adjustment to the economy in a lot of places. You wouldn't think so, but it's estimated that in some places as much as 1.248 jobs were created for each drone taken offline, excluding Autofactories. That's over six paying jobs for every five drones that didn't get an income, or spend any money. That's six people that can pay rent, buy food, and a few other services (barely) against the one slightly better paid guy that maintained between 20-50 drones depending on the reliability of the models and how hard he was worked. Of course, that guy is now on the dole.

Truth > I'm happy to see these things gone. The Horizon models were monitoring our purchases for the Tir, and Aztechnology was selling the data gained from them to the Bugs so they could monitor the health of the people they were going to try and take over.

Pride > The AZT models are nearly useless, at just over a meter-and-a-half tall, because they were designed for Stuffer Shacks almost entirely. They are sometimes seen in some small stores in the Barrens where the owner doesn't trust any staff not to make off with merchandise.

Tiny Trog > Pride, not even a Halfer joke from your Humanis Big Book Of Humor? I'm impressed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 19 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,022

That is just awesome, on so many Levels, Canray... Thanks... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 19 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Anything to flesh out the universe. Maybe a e-book on Civilian/Commercial-Level Drones might be in order?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 19 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (CanRay @ May 19 2011, 03:17 PM) *
Anything to flesh out the universe. Maybe a e-book on Civilian/Commercial-Level Drones might be in order?

Indeed... Complete with entertaining Shadowtalk... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)
Should be about 50 pages or so, I would think... Easy Peasy...

+Quote Post
Tyro
post May 20 2011, 08:42 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

Well done, Canray

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post May 20 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

I've always thought that the ubiquitousness of housekeeping and civilian drones is the real hidden power of hackers and riggers.. the ability to do stuff in plain sight, and to get "hands" in any location without having to break in physically.

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post May 20 2011, 12:00 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 19,228

Tell that fridge to not report stuff in it being long past the best-by date. Biological warfare on a small scale.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post May 20 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Is your vacuum cleaner stealing classified documents for the Chinese? Fill in your root password here and we'll tell you!

+Quote Post
Tyro
post May 20 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

Nice

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ May 20 2011, 04:13 AM) *
Is your vacuum cleaner stealing classified documents for the Chinese? Fill in your root password here and we'll tell you!

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 20 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

During the Technomancer Scare, Slamm-0! had the bright idea of starting a "Digital Security Company" that catered to his targets and other scared people. Made a good bit of profit, and left a hole in the firewall big enough to get through all those household drones, too.

I see a heavy return to Metahuman Low-Wage Workers doing the jobs drones once did for the rich and powerful. And properly British butlers, of course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Falconer
post May 21 2011, 12:53 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

The concept is okay... but there's no need for walker mode... a smaller drone could easily do the job especially if equipped w/ gecko tips. More or less, there's a HUGE number of mods on this thing which cost FAR less than they should.

Also much smacks of the bust-a-move fluff w/ the crime spree.

Generally, such a drone wouldn't need two full mechanical arms either... only a single manipulator w/o a full hand.

Looking at this purely from a mechanical abuse standpoint. It's
A. far too cheap (only 3000... barely the cost of a single clerk's low life style).
B. it's FAR FAR too easy to modify into a full combat android... 2 arms, walker, just need armor which isn't a hard mod to come by. Just had the thought if those are just basic mechanical arms (not full w/ hands)... then armor + 2 full hands in modifications leaves 1 more free... and a very scary drone that can pickup and use normal weaponry.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 21 2011, 02:48 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Falconer @ May 20 2011, 07:53 PM) *
Looking at this purely from a mechanical abuse standpoint. It's
A. far too cheap (only 3000... barely the cost of a single clerk's low life style).
B. it's FAR FAR too easy to modify into a full combat android... 2 arms, walker, just need armor which isn't a hard mod to come by. Just had the thought if those are just basic mechanical arms (not full w/ hands)... then armor + 2 full hands in modifications leaves 1 more free... and a very scary drone that can pickup and use normal weaponry.

A: Mass produced and mass distributed to a large number of stores. Cuts down on the costs. Also, after 2070, they're almost all dumped onto the market, so 3000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) sounds about right. And a drone cheaper than a Metahuman's wage is exactly what the Megas were aiming at. Especially as they made their money on the product support lines in maintenance and spare parts.
B: Don't forget the lack of software, hardware, protection, and the fact that one model is three metres tall, another is a crawler, and the third is a tiny thing for convenience stores and worthless outside of them. Which, considering, not bad when you want a mass of "Troll-Like" Drone Soldiers for a Zerg Rush holding AK-97s and some software with the copyright cracked, but useless otherwise.

So, the question is: Fluff, crunch, or thoughtfulness. Which do you want?

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post May 21 2011, 02:56 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Aye.. also: store clerk making low lifestyle? Bwahahaha. No way. He is lucky to make enough with his 3 sisters to afford community low style. Probably slightly lower, but a bit higher than squatter.

Drones are too cheap, yes. But hey see it that way: That is only the buying proce. Repairs, maintanence, software patches, programming etc. should cost a bit too (but still cheaper than a drone, i mean metahuman.)

I support walker with two arms. Has to heave some things too, were one arm wouldn't have the grip. walker is better, so he doesn't need rail or stabilizers and such (can switch position without deploying, can dodge customers etc.)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 21 2011, 03:16 AM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Also, loading docks are not flat surfaces that can be easily handled by wheeled vehicles. Yes, forklifts are used, yes, dollies too. Notice that there's still times when some poor schmuck (Or a group of them) have to go around and pick something up by hand nonetheless. Thus, walker (Or crawler.).

Also, with walker, the Drone can kneel down and put things on low shelves.

I picture the Horizon model looking like a bad robot version of a Troll, the Aztechnology model looking like R2-D2's Mexican Cousin, and the Kong Wal-Mart model looking like a bastard child of a Universal Carrier and a Forklift, with arms rather than blades.

+Quote Post
Falconer
post May 21 2011, 04:34 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

You're not catching my point... if I expect to pay someone 24000 over the course of a year... then 10000 for the drone replacement is a deal so long as the drone lasts 6 months. Though, now that I glanced at arsenal... the price isn't that far off from similar drones... I had the prices for the two cyborgs stuck in my head.

In answer. Crunch is vitally important. I don't care if they were dumped for whatever fluffy reason you can make up... what are the closest thing in the book to it.... I can write up fluff to justify almost anything. Generally, I care more about power creep than fluff.

Lets see there's the two cyborg bodies...
Otomo (150,000), Tomino (350,000)

Then there's the Manservant-3. Which is almost identical to your drone in all ways at 2500. Except the description and stats make it absolutely clear they heavily gimped it to prevent it's use as a combat drone. The orderly at 2000 comes to mind, but a look at the picture shows it to be the wierdest looking 'wheelchair' I've ever seen. I suspect the devs just don't care to see a humanoid drone which can easily be turned into a combat drone from a crunch perspective.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 21 2011, 08:37 AM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Funny... I used the stats for the Manservant-3, with some software, and upped the price. That's it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

EDIT: Wait, I think I made them a LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETLE bit faster.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 21 2011, 02:41 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (CanRay @ May 21 2011, 02:37 AM) *
Funny... I used the stats for the Manservant-3, with some software, and upped the price. That's it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

EDIT: Wait, I think I made them a LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETLE bit faster.

Yep, you can't please everyone all the time, Canray... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 21 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 21 2011, 09:41 AM) *
Yep, you can't please everyone all the time, Canray... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

This is Dumpshock. If I please one person, I consider it a major achievement.

50 gamerscore or a silver trophy at the least.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 21 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (CanRay @ May 21 2011, 09:26 AM) *
This is Dumpshock. If I please one person, I consider it a major achievement.

50 gamerscore or a silver trophy at the least.

Heh... So let it be written, so let it be done... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Modular Man
post May 21 2011, 11:59 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,317

Like it, too.
Anyway, a Manservant-3 isn't too far from a nice, cheap combat drone. It's not that good in unarmed combat, okay. It can still hold a gun, a knife or a monofilament whip easily.
I just like the idea of more drones doing low-end human jobs. Well, I prefer my game with rather more than less "I, Robot" in it anyway. So, thank you!

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 22 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

It was almost getting to "I, Robot" stage in the rich neighborhoods until Technomancers and AIs came into public view and started freaking everyone out.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post May 22 2011, 02:26 AM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 17,589

Actually, if you read the lifestyle descriptions in the Runner's Companion, you'll notice that most decent households will have a drone or two. And that high-class apartments include human servants, which are considered to be more posh than those bulky electronic things.

I agree that mechanically the thing is weird, since it's too easy to make a cyborg out of it. Making it slower and generally worse might help. Actually, it's not even like the drones really need mechanical arms rather than simpler grapples - only a handful of shops require delicate manipulation.

Also, good luck finding combat Autosofts for Manservants.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 21 2011, 02:56 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Just because I like this and want to bring it back to the forefront of the forum...

+Quote Post
Blitz66
post Jul 21 2011, 03:07 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 32,605

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 21 2011, 03:56 PM) *
Just because I like this and want to bring it back to the forefront of the forum...

Thanks for that, and the original post. This is great.

+Quote Post
Modular Man
post Jul 22 2011, 06:37 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,317

A thing I figured lately: From a point of balance, you could easily reduce the handling of a drone that's not meant for combat or delicate operations. It's hard to improve a drone's handling greatly. So no GM will have to worry about household drones going Agent Smith.
And I'm fairly certain that there might be combat autosofts for household drones. Maybe not provided by corporations, but of course on the black market. Heck, it's the first thing I'd program as a 'running rigger!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.