Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Peril Sensitive Sunglasses
ShadowWalker
post May 29 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,696

So I was looking through Unwired and I came across the following.

Negator
Negator software seeks to “edit out” anything the user programs
in as “undesirable.” Perfect for eccentrics, people suffering
from certain phobias, or snobs who don’t like to be bothered by
the little people, Negator software will hide, mask, or blot out with
other AR sensory input whatever they wanted negated.

So this basically removes anything you see or hear that you don't want to see or here.
Put this ARE software in your sunglasses and voila you have Peril Sensitive Sunglasses.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 29 2011, 08:16 PM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Yup. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Bugfoxmaster
post May 29 2011, 08:17 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,510

Er... Wait, doesn't this edit OUT things? Potentially including things that could kill you? What you can't see CAN hurt you, you know... I think I'm missing something here... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
hermit
post May 29 2011, 08:18 PM
Post #4

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

Awesome. Are there also clothes mods to add nutritients to your towel?

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post May 29 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

QUOTE (Bugfoxmaster @ May 29 2011, 02:17 PM) *
Er... Wait, doesn't this edit OUT things? Potentially including things that could kill you? What you can't see CAN hurt you, you know... I think I'm missing something here... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

True, but what can't see you can't hurt you (as easily). Hack someone else's commlink, upload Negator to it and run it to hide yourself. When you're done, corrupt it and delete it before you log off.

+Quote Post
redwulf25
post May 29 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 24,929

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ May 29 2011, 03:35 PM) *
True, but what can't see you can't hurt you (as easily). Hack someone else's commlink, upload Negator to it and run it to hide yourself. When you're done, corrupt it and delete it before you log off.

That's evil. It also gives me ideas like editing out obstacles in a drivers path (or other cars for that matter). Works even better if the target is known to run their own copy of Negator then you just have to hack their link and change their Negator settings.

+Quote Post
hermit
post May 29 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #7

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

I think I'm missing something here...

You're obviously no froop and don't know where your towel is.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post May 29 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (redwulf25 @ May 29 2011, 02:12 PM) *
That's evil.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif) Thank you.
It also gives me ideas like editing out obstacles in a drivers path (or other cars for that matter).
Just as long as the car is not driving itself. IIRC most people of the 2070's don't know how to drive, so the car does the driving itself.
Works even better if the target is known to run their own copy of Negator then you just have to hack their link and change their Negator settings.
And a good reason to keep your Firewall and Analyze programs as up-to-date as possible.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 31 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ May 29 2011, 05:01 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif) Thank you.Just as long as the car is not driving itself. IIRC most people of the 2070's don't know how to drive, so the car does the driving itself.And a good reason to keep your Firewall and Analyze programs as up-to-date as possible.

Everyone knows how to drive (it's a defaultable skill). Few people have taken extensive courses in driving. The example for Rating 0 driving is "Basic operator’s license. Can get from here to there, but can’t handle driving in adverse conditions." (SR4A p. 119)

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post May 31 2011, 09:44 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

True enough. But many [meta]humans are lazy by nature. If a car can drive itself, and drive better than you, are you going to drive? Maybe, maybe not, but most are likely to let the car drive instead (knew a player who's character did just that, let his Tata Hotspur do all the driving).

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 31 2011, 09:48 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

True, I was just saying that they can, not that they will.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 31 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 31 2011, 03:19 PM) *
Everyone knows how to drive (it's a defaultable skill). Few people have taken extensive courses in driving. The example for Rating 0 driving is "Basic operator’s license. Can get from here to there, but can’t handle driving in adverse conditions." (SR4A p. 119)

Rain is an adverse condition... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 31 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 31 2011, 05:29 PM) *
Rain is an adverse condition... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So are tons of other conditions that afflict people on a daily basis. So?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 31 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 31 2011, 03:32 PM) *
So are tons of other conditions that afflict people on a daily basis. So?

So, saying that a Skill 0 allows basic driving (except for adverse conditions, which, as you point out above, afflict people on a DAILY basis) is a little disengenuous when those conditions are very common. Basic Competence should include common Adverse Conditions like Darkness, and Rain, to name just two. If you cannot do so, then you are not basically competant by any definition that I know of. Though I agree that the Skill 0 indicates this in the book, the lack of ability for adverse conditions is a glaring one, that will crop up 90% of the time is places with bad weather (You know, like Seattle). So, A minimum skill 1 would be required in my book to be Basically Competant as a driver (As in Beginner, per the Book. Seasoned, to me, would indicate that they had at least gone through the Required Drivers courses and passed the tests, both written and practical. They will have at least driven in those adverse conditions that scare the Skill 0 character)... Anyone with a Skill 0 likely just lets the vehicle drive for them, and only drives when they absolutely have to.

To Me, an Untrained Driver is just that... Untrained. You do not get a Basic Operators License untrained in the US, and likely not in Europe either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
nezumi
post May 31 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #15

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I feel as though, if I were wearing negators, and I was driving down the highway and there's a giant black spot in the middle of the road, that I would move to avoid said black spot. I don't think it would be the most effective method of killing someone. Perhaps if you suddenly popped up a massive billboard showing said censored data, so it blocked out his entire vision it could be dangerous, but at that point gridguide kicks in and guides you to a safe stop.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Jun 1 2011, 12:27 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (hermit @ May 29 2011, 06:14 PM) *

DON'T PANIC!

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 1 2011, 01:14 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 31 2011, 06:06 PM) *
So, saying that a Skill 0 allows basic driving (except for adverse conditions, which, as you point out above, afflict people on a DAILY basis) is a little disengenuous when those conditions are very common. Basic Competence should include common Adverse Conditions like Darkness, and Rain, to name just two. If you cannot do so, then you are not basically competant by any definition that I know of. Though I agree that the Skill 0 indicates this in the book, the lack of ability for adverse conditions is a glaring one, that will crop up 90% of the time is places with bad weather (You know, like Seattle). So, A minimum skill 1 would be required in my book to be Basically Competant as a driver (As in Beginner, per the Book. Seasoned, to me, would indicate that they had at least gone through the Required Drivers courses and passed the tests, both written and practical. They will have at least driven in those adverse conditions that scare the Skill 0 character)... Anyone with a Skill 0 likely just lets the vehicle drive for them, and only drives when they absolutely have to.

To Me, an Untrained Driver is just that... Untrained. You do not get a Basic Operators License untrained in the US, and likely not in Europe either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Take it up with the developers, not me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Though my guess is that they'd say that you don't usually have to roll for minimal adverse conditions like night or rain, so rating 0 is still ok. Personaly, I don't put important NPCs behind the wheel without knowing their Reaction and Pilot skills. The unimportant ones? Who cares whether they have a 0 or a 1? Or even a 43.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jun 1 2011, 01:32 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (nezumi @ May 31 2011, 05:25 PM) *
I feel as though, if I were wearing negators, and I was driving down the highway and there's a giant black spot in the middle of the road, that I would move to avoid said black spot. I don't think it would be the most effective method of killing someone. Perhaps if you suddenly popped up a massive billboard showing said censored data, so it blocked out his entire vision it could be dangerous, but at that point gridguide kicks in and guides you to a safe stop.

Thing is, Negator doesn't put a "giant black spot" in the middle of anything. By its description, it uses AR sensory input to "edit out" whatever is unwanted. AROs are created to cover up what you don't want to see (that homeless beggar sitting at the corner is replaced by an ARO that looks like that exact corner but without the homeless beggar), sounds countered by other sounds to neutralize them, and such.

Programs like PhotoShop already have this kind of functionality, and though it might not be on par to obscure something perfectly, consider what 60 years of technological advances can bring about.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 1 2011, 02:03 AM
Post #19

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 31 2011, 07:14 PM) *
Take it up with the developers, not me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Though my guess is that they'd say that you don't usually have to roll for minimal adverse conditions like night or rain, so rating 0 is still ok. Personaly, I don't put important NPCs behind the wheel without knowing their Reaction and Pilot skills. The unimportant ones? Who cares whether they have a 0 or a 1? Or even a 43.

This is often very true, so no worries... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Jun 1 2011, 05:53 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,589

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ May 31 2011, 08:32 PM) *
Thing is, Negator doesn't put a "giant black spot" in the middle of anything. By its description, it uses AR sensory input to "edit out" whatever is unwanted. AROs are created to cover up what you don't want to see (that homeless beggar sitting at the corner is replaced by an ARO that looks like that exact corner but without the homeless beggar), sounds countered by other sounds to neutralize them, and such.

Programs like PhotoShop already have this kind of functionality, and though it might not be on par to obscure something perfectly, consider what 60 years of technological advances can bring about.

"Edit out" doesn't mean "makes invisible." It "hides, masks or blots out with other AR sensory input."
The corner isn't AR input, it's regular visual input. In addition, if the bum is in the way of the corner, neither you nor your software has any idea what that corner looks like when the bum is not there.
While one can edit visual software to whichever degree you wish, to do so in real time can't be done in Shadowrun.

If a skilled hacker with a maxed out Edit program can't do it, it's safe to assume a 100 nuyen program can't either.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jun 1 2011, 06:12 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Not the impression I got about the program, not only from reading its description but in at least one other thread somewhere way back. Don't know right off where, but in that one someone mentioned that there's an app for a smart phone that could do just that, take incoming video and overwrite an object with an image to conceal the presence of the object, nearly in real time (poster suggested it didn't do too well if you were moving really quickly). Certainly that in sixty years that kind of software is going to do nothing but improve.

Besides, you're comparing a program with a rather narrow application to one with a potentially Grand Canyon wide array of possibilities.

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Jun 1 2011, 06:19 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,589

If the program was meant to remove unwanted objects, it would have said "remove."
Instead it says it hides, masks or blots it out with AR input. What is behind the image isn't Augmented Reality. It's just plain old reality. AR images don't look like real life images. More over, you don't have any input of the image when the unwanted isn't there. Your cybereyes only know what your cybereyes can see, not what is behind the undesired object, so it can't replace the unwanted image with input it doesn't have.

I'm sure that such a program might be created, but Negator isn't it. Negator does the black spot thing. I prefer to make that black spot a big old happy face, ala Lisa Simpson on drugs, but that's just me.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 1 2011, 01:05 PM
Post #23

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I don't think we can make any such assumption, given the state of technology. Both seem reasonable. Just use the version you prefer in your own games.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jun 1 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jun 1 2011, 08:19 AM) *
If the program was meant to remove unwanted objects, it would have said "remove."
Instead it says it hides, masks or blots it out with AR input. What is behind the image isn't Augmented Reality. It's just plain old reality. AR images don't look like real life images.

It can already be done of course, it won't show you what's really hiding behind something, but it can look pretty real in most situations.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jun 1 2011, 01:24 PM
Post #25

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

It would seem to have some pretty significant in-game effects, so should probably be addressed somewhere.

Regardless, I can't imagine the devices are legal when driving (and if they are, then gridguide would override any idiots anyway). Every other day I see the 'Abortion is Sin' truck drive around the corner. Imagine how many cars that would wreck.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:02 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.