IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What do you use these new supplements for?
Socinus
post Jun 3 2011, 09:52 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,881

I've been reading through some of the newer supplements, like Unfriendly Skies, Mil Spec Tech, and to a certain extent WAR!, and a question has been cropping up.

A lot of the vehicles and even some of the equipment are so expensive in game terms that the average runner couldn't possibly afford them, doubly so if you use the standard pay scheme in the core books.

So, what would you use these things for? I think it's a good idea to have stats for these kinds of vehicles for the GM, but I mean what runner would have the need or opportunity for a hover tank?

I can see the use in military games, but then why the vast variety, why not just have one big book of expanded vehicles with archetypes of vehicles?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ghost_in_the_Sys...
post Jun 3 2011, 09:59 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 29,932

Lets see, GM use is a large one. Another is loaned equipment for runs. And of course there is military as well. Heck, you could do an entire impromptu run around trying to successfully steal a hover tank from a base or something.

Overall though I'd say it is more there as a means to say "Hey, this exists" as opposed to because it is something runners are supposed to own, or even run into. Like the hover tank. The players may never use or fight one, but it exists, and that is something to know, something to make the worlds a bit more fleshed out.

It's kind of like how particle accelerators exist, but you and I are unlikely to ever see them in person, but knowing that they exist tells us something about the world we live in. Same for sniper rifles and tanks (I really hope you/I never run into a tank)

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jun 3 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Aside from what Ghost said (which even if I never see or use the material in the supplements in a game), having more of the game world established like this is nice. Same goes for the metavariants in Runner's Companion. I've disallowed them in my games, but they still certainly exist anyway.

But for other things... Regarding War!, say the team has to do a run in a war zone (like Bogota or northern California) for whatever reason. Maybe they have to sneak into an out of the way outpost for something/someone, things get hot and the team has to... "borrow" something on the way out (maybe that Hawker-Siddeley Brennus sitting out on the tarmac?). Maybe they get to see a few of the new Azzie Halcons along the way.

Or maybe the team ends up in the boonies of the UCAS, or have to cross into and travel deep into the middle-of-nowhere Salish-Shidhe. Somewhere that's not really high priority for normal gear, but the fed uses low budget drones (like a Predator or Reaper) to monitor the area and the runners have to deal with it.

Then there's something more local, like hitting a dilapidated looking warehouse down near the docks of Seattle. Maybe the owner had to cut some corners in the security budget and got a great deal on a batch of older (and highly used) Ares Sentinel "P" Series rail drones as opposed to a few brand new "R" Series rail drones.

The advantage of lots of smaller stuff, that I see, is that one can select and buy what they need. Some certainly would be willing to save 5 or 10 bucks (or more) by buying a few small supplements that they're going to use, instead of paying more for a single and fatter book with material they might never use.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jun 4 2011, 12:24 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

You can sprinkel the stuff in, now and again, to keep the runners on their toes, or send goons looking for them in such things (But, obviously, not finding them) ... when the team hears that a couple of tanks are trying to find them, they'll usually stay low. (Mind, some groups will instead try to figure out a way to take one over, but hey!)

More important, of course, is the simple act of world building. The fact that the CAS has submersable aircraft carriers isn't really going to factor into anyone's Shadowruns, but knowing that they HAVE Them is ... kinda neat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Raiki
post Jun 4 2011, 12:35 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,080

QUOTE (Socinus @ Jun 3 2011, 05:52 PM) *
...but I mean what runner would have the need...for a hover tank?

If you can't think of at least a dozen answers to this question on your own, then I think you're suffering from a severe deficiency of imagination.

~R~

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 4 2011, 12:40 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Hell, the number of uses I came up with the Propeller Plane were amazing.

What I could figure out what to do with a HOVER TANK, even a used and abused one without a cannon, boggles the mind!

+Quote Post
Ghost_in_the_Sys...
post Jun 4 2011, 12:43 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Yeah, but could you afford one? I think that is more the problem than having uses for alot of the high end gear.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 4 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Afford... Steal... Loot off a battleground...

+Quote Post
Raiki
post Jun 4 2011, 12:48 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,080

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 3 2011, 08:44 PM) *
Afford... Steal... Loot off a battleground...

Potato/Zuchini. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

~R~

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jun 4 2011, 01:32 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (Ghost_in_the_System @ Jun 3 2011, 05:43 PM) *
Yeah, but could you afford one? I think that is more the problem than having uses for alot of the high end gear.

If you're not stealing, you're not trying.

Getting away with it, though. That's the hard part.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 4 2011, 01:37 AM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jun 3 2011, 08:32 PM) *
If you're not stealing, you're not trying.

Getting away with it, though. That's the hard part.

Getting away with it gets a bit easier when you have a FRAGGIN' HOVER TANK to support your get-away.

Hiding gets harder, however. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The Hovertank is over twenty years old, however, and is probably in a few militaries that you can drive it away from and park it into a cargo jet and fly away. Then you have fun with flying drones and fighter jets.

+Quote Post
whatevs
post Jun 4 2011, 03:28 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 21,915

There's no such thing as hoverbikes! What you saw were just A couple of huffies on a fishing line!

Did anyone get that? I'll be here all week.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 4 2011, 03:55 AM
Post #13

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I think GM use is the only reason. It's a good one, in certain situations.

+Quote Post
Wolfgar
post Jun 4 2011, 05:48 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 21,340

With all this military gear, and with WAR! in particular, it seems the publisher/game designers were not only expanding the world, but also trying to expand the game concept. Now we can use the Shadowrun rules to play UCAS soldiers fighting a second civil war with the CAS, or Tir Elf pilots in jets hunting down Orc T-birds. In these games your players wouldn't be Runners, but Soldiers instead. Just a different type of game.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 4 2011, 05:54 AM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I think they're just expanding their product line, but yeah. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) That's still the same GM/PC question from above, so these WAR!/etc. things are for powerful runner opposition on increasingly crazy runs.

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Jun 4 2011, 06:59 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,881

World building, I can understand. Needing stats for military games, I can understand.

But it seems more...economical, I guess, to have basic stat blocks for maybe a couple different types of military vehicles, but when you've got entire books FULL of different types of equipment with very similar stats it just seems a little...unnecessary.

It seems like it would be better to have one single book with sections like

TANK

VARIANT A
STATSTATSTATSTAT
FLAVORFLAVORFLAVOR

VARIANT B
STATSTATSTATSTAT
FLAVORFLAVORFLAVOR

VARIANT C
STATSTATSTATSTAT
FLAVORFLAVORFLAVOR

I mean I dont see why you need 10 variants of fighter jets and cargo carriers that have very little variation between them.

I'm not criticizing the current deployment, there are a lot of great things in these books. I just find it...a little odd.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 4 2011, 07:18 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Beats the alternative of everyone using the same piece of equipment all the time, eh?

+Quote Post
whatevs
post Jun 4 2011, 12:26 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 21,915

QUOTE (whatevs @ Jun 4 2011, 03:28 AM) *
There's no such thing as hoverbikes! What you saw were just A couple of huffies on a fishing line!

Did anyone get that? I'll be here all week.

Wow. No love at all for a classic simpsons joke.

I agree with CanRay. Us Players need to be kept guessing in orderfor things to stay fresh. A hovertank is so far 'out there' that it could be a huge suprise at the wrong moment, and require an opportunity for quick thinking/brilliance. I have fond memories of campaigns that provided those kind of unique challenges.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Jun 4 2011, 01:06 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

I suppose they can be nice to use for a single job - Johnson's loaning it to you for just this job. So you get to do stuff with it that you normally wouldn't. It's a trope you see now and then on TV.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 4 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jun 4 2011, 07:06 AM) *
I suppose they can be nice to use for a single job - Johnson's loaning it to you for just this job. So you get to do stuff with it that you normally wouldn't. It's a trope you see now and then on TV.

Yeah, we have had a run or two where we were loaned a high end piece of military equipment for an insertion or extraction. We were even caught in a military coup once, which was fun to play, but no fun for the characters on the ground. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 4 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (whatevs @ Jun 4 2011, 07:26 AM) *
I agree with CanRay. Us Players need to be kept guessing in order for things to stay fresh. A hovertank is so far 'out there' that it could be a huge suprise at the wrong moment, and require an opportunity for quick thinking/brilliance. I have fond memories of campaigns that provided those kind of unique challenges.

Black Trenchcoat Face: "OK, we've secured the target, got the paydata, and drank all the booze in the CEO's private stash, can we go now?"
Pink Mohawk Troll Muscle: "*Loud Belch* Yep."
GM: "Suddenly the building is shaken badly as you almost fall to your knees in shock, the sound alone is enough to rattle the teeth in your heads as you look down from the railing of the open-concept office building and see a beat-up Scout Hovertank slide into the hole it just blasted, the sides of it covered in graffiti in a variety of different languages... Which Trog The Cyber-Barbarian actually recognizes as being Anti-Aztlan Slogans from his time in the Yucatan."
Pink Mohawk Troll Muscle: "Hey, I know that tank, that's the tank I stole and sold to the Rebels for a drekpot of nuyen, a hundred thousand rounds of assault rifle ammo, and a keg of beer!"
Ice Cold Hacker: "Was it good beer?"
Pink Mohawk Troll Muscle: "It was all right. Anyhow, heard they sold it to this Merc group that sometimes did Shadowruns and... Oh drek."
GM: "A voice attempts to speak over the speakers of the tank, causing bad feedback, then tries again, 'We have you surrounded on the grounds that we have a DAMNED TANK! Give up the target and the paydata, and we won't have to waste a canister of Hi-Ex on the supports to the floor you're on!' What do you do?"

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jun 4 2011, 04:44 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 4 2011, 01:31 PM) *
Black Trenchcoat Face: "OK, we've secured the target, got the paydata, and drank all the booze in the CEO's private stash, can we go now?"
Pink Mohawk Troll Muscle: "*Loud Belch* Yep."
GM: "Suddenly the building is shaken badly as you almost fall to your knees in shock, the sound alone is enough to rattle the teeth in your heads as you look down from the railing of the open-concept office building and see a beat-up Scout Hovertank slide into the hole it just blasted, the sides of it covered in graffiti in a variety of different languages... Which Trog The Cyber-Barbarian actually recognizes as being Anti-Aztlan Slogans from his time in the Yucatan."
Pink Mohawk Troll Muscle: "Hey, I know that tank, that's the tank I stole and sold to the Rebels for a drekpot of nuyen, a hundred thousand rounds of assault rifle ammo, and a keg of beer!"
Ice Cold Hacker: "Was it good beer?"
Pink Mohawk Troll Muscle: "It was all right. Anyhow, heard they sold it to this Merc group that sometimes did Shadowruns and... Oh drek."
GM: "A voice attempts to speak over the speakers of the tank, causing bad feedback, then tries again, 'We have you surrounded on the grounds that we have a DAMNED TANK! Give up the target and the paydata, and we won't have to waste a canister of Hi-Ex on the supports to the floor you're on!' What do you do?"

Love it.

+Quote Post
Ghost_in_the_Sys...
post Jun 4 2011, 04:54 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Okay, I just can't help myself because I think of this answer every time I see the title question:

If they weren't all PDFs they'd make a great door stop.

Not that I'd actually use a book for that, but couldn't stop thinking it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 4 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Still love "This Old Drone".

EDIT: And my MPUV.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jun 5 2011, 02:04 AM
Post #25

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Some of this is also a bit fan driven. The previous developers made a great effort to keep the core rules streamlined, which included limited duplication of equipment and a focus on things shadowrunners might routinely see and use. But after the release of Arsenal and prior to War! there was plenty of "whargarbl?! where R all teh tanks and big guns!?" Plus some of the old hats wanted stats for x,y,z from previous editions that didn't make the cut.

I think PDF releases are the perfect platform for stuff like this.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.