Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possibly getting back to Shadowrun, Looking for a setting for a campaign
Omer Joel
post Jun 5 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 265

I've been on these boards a very long time ago (about four or five years ago); then I got a full-time+++ job and didn't play much SR, and later I was busy with other RPGs, such as Traveller. But now I've got bitten by the Shadowrun bug once more, sold my old SR3 collection to buy a few SR4 books, and got the 20th Anniversary Edition. All in all, I'm quite impressed with the product quality of the newer SR4 books, and thinking of maybe returning to Shadowrun in the future.

I'm currently in the book-buying phase of things, and would like to buy setting books according to the specific setting my campaign will take place at. I already have Sixth World Almanac, the 20th Anniversary Core Book, Street Magic and Arsenal, and I intend to buy the Running Wild PDF soon.

I've been thinking about planning (for the long term) a Shadowrun 20th Anniversary Edition campaign, with my beloved spouse Hani as the main player. We've already played Shadowrun 4E a few years ago, set in the quasi-post-apocalyptic Puyallup Barrens, and we had TONS of fun despite the fact that this was Hani's first ever RPG experience and thus she had a tough time with the rules. In that campaign she played a Human Bear Shaman and enjoyed the heck out of it.

Now I'm planning again a Shadowrun campaign set in the 20th Anniversary Edition timeline (the year is 2072 in game). This time around Hani wants to play an Ork Combat Hacker. and wants an urban campaign in contrast with the old 'wild territory' campaign.

The thing is that I'm not as familiar with the 2072 setting as opposed to the 2050's and early 2060's (or, at most, 2070) back when I was deeply into 2E/3E Shadowrun.

So I'm looking for a good setting for the next campaign. I need an urban setting, so Seattle is of course the first pick, but I might want to try something new, as most of my previous Shadowrun games were set there. I also need an interesting place where a wide variety of runs could be had.

I'd like to have a place with a current sourcebook. The two cities in the US I'm most familiar with IRL are NYC (where friends of my family live) and Chicago (where I was born and lived for a few years before moving to Israel with my parents). However, from what I recall from Shadowrun, NYC is quite solidly corporate (that is, a gated corporate enclave in SR - or is it?) and Chicago is a bit too wild.

So I'm open to suggestions of cities around the Sixth World as well as location sourcebooks for Shadowrun 4E.

Another thing I'd like to have some input on is the conflicts and interesting plot hooks of the 2070's. After all, the Bugs, Deus, Dunkelzhan, Saito's occupation of the CFS and so on are pretty much resolved; what new conflicts have arisen in the world? What's new and cool to weave into a campaign? I'm feeling a little bit rusty on the current SR lore...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ghost_in_the_Sys...
post Jun 5 2011, 05:55 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 29,932

I could be mixing up my lore, but I believe Chicago is a nuclear ground zero now.

That said I think your best bet with that type of character could be LA which is featured prominently in the Corporate Enclaves book, along with Neo-Tokyo, which could also make a great setting. They even have a couple of adventures set up and suggestions for other ideas.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jun 5 2011, 06:04 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

Chicago is a mana void after the mana virus Lonestar unleashed to contain the Insect Spirits. Dangerous to enter, especially for awakened beings.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 5 2011, 06:05 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

I like Hong Kong personally (Can't remember the Book, though)...

+Quote Post
Ghost_in_the_Sys...
post Jun 5 2011, 06:06 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 29,932

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 5 2011, 02:05 PM) *
I like Hong Kong personally (Can't remember the Book, though)...

Runner's Havens

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 5 2011, 06:07 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Ghost_in_the_System @ Jun 5 2011, 11:06 AM) *
Runner's Havens

That's the One, thanks... Good Book... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Omer Joel
post Jun 5 2011, 09:23 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

By the way, do you think that New York City would be a good place for a diverse Shadowrun campaign? I mean, Manhattan got all the corp stuff, but the rest of the city probably is more diverse. Am I correct?

+Quote Post
Megu
post Jun 6 2011, 03:32 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,268

QUOTE (Omer Joel @ Jun 5 2011, 03:23 PM) *
By the way, do you think that New York City would be a good place for a diverse Shadowrun campaign? I mean, Manhattan got all the corp stuff, but the rest of the city probably is more diverse. Am I correct?

If you know the city well enough to fill in the gaps, then this could be a really good way to go.

That said, the fact that you've lived in Israel seems like you could do some great stuff with that. I mean, look at the Shadows of Asia stuff on it, I'm sure there's something you could expand upon. I'd love to play in a game like that.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jun 6 2011, 01:24 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

I'd like to have a place with a current sourcebook. The two cities in the US I'm most familiar with IRL are NYC (where friends of my family live) and Chicago (where I was born and lived for a few years before moving to Israel with my parents). However, from what I recall from Shadowrun, NYC is quite solidly corporate (that is, a gated corporate enclave in SR - or is it?) and Chicago is a bit too wild.
only Manhattan is a AAA corprate Enklave. the Rest is ...quite like Seattle, different Areas with different security Ratings.
Only the SIN Checks are ....more often and more rigid than in other Metroplexes(you might need Houserules for SIN checks).
But If You choose New York you have the complete Eascoast at Your Fingertips.
Hong Kong is also very Nice (one of my Campaigns that I'm playing right now is based in Hong Kong,which is a fascinating city by-the-way)
Connecton,Reputation and "Face" are even more important than in other settings
Why don't you get the Almanach ?

he who dances in different Cities
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Omer Joel
post Jun 6 2011, 01:30 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jun 6 2011, 04:24 PM) *
only Manhattan is a AAA corprate Enklave. the Rest is ...quite like Seattle, different Areas with different security Ratings.
Only the SIN Checks are ....more often and more rigid than in other Metroplexes(you might need Houserules for SIN checks).

Does any sourcebook detail NYC beyond Manhattan?

But If You choose New York you have the complete Eascoast at Your Fingertips.

Which is a great thing, right?

Since the Quake destroyed a lot of NYC, I can probably wing it quite well from the sourcebooks, as well as my cursory acquaintance with the city - I know it better than Seattle IRL anyway.

Why don't you get the Almanach ?

I have it and like it. Sorry if you misunderstood me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jun 6 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

Does any sourcebook detail NYC beyond Manhattan?

I don't think so. I only remember the Manhattan Part in Konzernenklaven(German Title)

Which is a great thing, right?

Definitely (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I know it better than Seattle IRL anyway.

than you should choose NY & the Eastcoast !

Hough !
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Omer Joel
post Jun 6 2011, 02:44 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Many thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
zend0g
post Jun 7 2011, 01:34 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 30,514

And if you had a soft spot for the Windy City, you could swap what happens to it with Detroit... Except that detonating a nuke inside Detroit might actually improve things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Falanin
post Jun 7 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,929

In addition to the sourcebook, all of last year's Shadowrun Missions adventures were set in NYC, so those might be some handy source material too.

+Quote Post
Omer Joel
post Jun 7 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Falanin @ Jun 7 2011, 11:05 PM) *
In addition to the sourcebook, all of last year's Shadowrun Missions adventures were set in NYC, so those might be some handy source material too.

Thanks for the idea! I'll definitely buy them!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.