Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What should I Ban Outright
Mr. Smileys
post Jun 6 2011, 06:30 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,294

There are very few items or equipment that I feel is broken or cant be balanced with small changes. But there are a few things I have found that I feel are so broken as to just outright ban. The two main things I have found are Stick-N-Shock rounds and the Slow Spell.

Is there anything else in the SR4A system that you feel are to broken or would take to many house rules to fix that you just ban them?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Jun 6 2011, 06:37 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

Apparently the slow spell was errated out of the german version. I think Stalahasse could confirm that-I recall him mentioning it.

The only thing I would outright ban is Thor Shots, and nuclear weapons. When running a standard SR campaign, I remind my players that what they bring the corps can bring ten fold.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 6 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

… Where would they ever get a Thor shot or a nuke? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It's probably a mistake to ban S&S entirely. Instead, consider dialing it back (less DV), or not giving it a full -Half armor.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Jun 6 2011, 06:54 PM
Post #4

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

I don't see a problem with SnS that isn't replicated in anything that causes Stun damage and reinforced fundamentally by the damage/armor system's Physical to Stun mitigation.

+Quote Post
Bushw4cker
post Jun 6 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,830

War! Book
Empathy Software (Especially Emotitoys)
Centaurs

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 6 2011, 07:03 PM
Post #6

Advocatus Diaboli

It goes without saying that you'd ban everything in War!, yes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

PC Vampires and Nosferatu, perhaps. Spoofing Life? PPP, maybe, though that's just my personal dislike. Pirated software.

Go check out the thread about Broken Rules in general.

+Quote Post
deek
post Jun 6 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

I've always outlawed Technomancers from my games. I leave them in the fluff, but don't allow them to be playable.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 6 2011, 07:06 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

In general, nothing really needs flat out banning. Many things could benefit from tweaking, nerfing, or even gutting… but simply removing them from the game is too heavy-handed. I might not allow many players to play Infected, but I wouldn't say 'no one can ever do this, 100%'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Halflife
post Jun 6 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 28,868

There is almost nothing that needs to be outright banned. Probably the only thing would be Insect/Blood/Toxic Magic. But a LOT of things will need to be watched closely.

+Quote Post
Mr. Smileys
post Jun 6 2011, 07:35 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 28,294

I guess I should have rephrased. I will never 100% ban something and say that they players can never ever ever have it no matter what. What I generally do is say that the things on my Banned list are not allowed unless the players can come up with a way to balance the thing they want to be allowed into the game.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jun 6 2011, 07:46 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jun 6 2011, 01:37 PM) *
Apparently the slow spell was errated out of the german version. I think Stalahasse could confirm that-I recall him mentioning it.

The only thing I would outright ban is Thor Shots, and nuclear weapons. When running a standard SR campaign, I remind my players that what they bring the corps can bring ten fold.

not only Stalahassee (= Stahlseele = Steelsoul (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )
but every german Player
I would ban Comlinks & Progs Rating 7+, Grenade Burst Damage,
HMHVV,aspected Mana Static (if it still exists ?)Renfield (!)
I wouldn't ban Emoti(or other ) software but i would ask for a teamwork Test !

with A ban Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 6 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

The lack of the "Chunky Salsa" rule!

There needs to be more of that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Jun 6 2011, 07:52 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,185

I my mind there are 3 major categories for banned items.

1) It breaks the game- Various options such as Slow probably satisfy this thing

2) Not gamebreaking but introduces too much power creep- Rating 7+ commlinks, other SOTA stuff that simply makes playing the game unfun for a lot of people

3) Stupid Stuff - YMMV but for some people it's TMs, PC AIs, Free Spirits, various alternative metahumans, SURGE in general, emotitoys, etc.

Honestly I prefer a soft ban on marginal stuff with the provision that taking or doubling up on overpowered options is bad news. Personally I feel few people like playing the BMX Bandit in a game where other people are playing Angel Summoner and games where everyone is playing Angel Summoner are boring powertrips.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jun 6 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

PPP definately. War! obviously.

SnS can be balanced by making it "shotgun only."

And finally emotitoys and empathy software.

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Jun 6 2011, 08:13 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,965

Not a damn thing? Always remember this, what every nasty toys your players can throw at you, you can throw right back. SnS Bust-A-Move will put fear into your players, MWUAHAHAHAHAH

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jun 6 2011, 08:19 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jun 6 2011, 04:13 PM) *
Not a damn thing? Always remember this, what every nasty toys your players can throw at you, you can throw right back. SnS Bust-A-Move will put fear into your players, MWUAHAHAHAHAH

Because as always, if the player uses a grenade, then the GM uses one back and get a TPK due to chunky salsa, that's the player's fault. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohplease.gif)

"You guys were in a narrow hallway, and all clustered near each other, and it was impact detonation." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/indifferent.gif)

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Jun 6 2011, 08:24 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 6 2011, 08:19 PM) *
Because as always, if the player uses a grenade, then the GM uses one back and get a TPK due to chunky salsa, that's the player's fault. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohplease.gif)

"You guys were in a narrow hallway, and all clustered near each other, and it was impact detonation." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/indifferent.gif)

There is a certain logic that is assumed to be there. Scaring the players is find, but TPK should only be used as.... Honestly, I can't think of a reason to use it. I, as a player, personally like it when playing an RPG almost becomes a game of chess with the GM. Perosnally I see nothing wrong with making players go "Holy shit! We almost died! Next time we plan!"

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jun 6 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jun 6 2011, 04:24 PM) *
There is a certain logic that is assumed to be there. Scaring the players is find, but TPK should only be used as.... Honestly, I can't think of a reason to use it. I, as a player, personally like it when playing an RPG almost becomes a game of chess with the GM. Perosnally I see nothing wrong with making players go "Holy shit! We almost died! Next time we plan!"

So, basically, the players can use the tools against the GM to unlimited efficiency, but the GM may not use them in a capacity that would result in even a single player's death? (excepting statistics and luck of the dice).

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Jun 6 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 6 2011, 08:27 PM) *
So, basically, the players can use the tools against the GM to unlimited efficiency, but the GM may not use them in a capacity that would result in even a single player's death? (excepting statistics and luck of the dice).

It's that or you take a black pen to most of the book(s) or roll up new characters every week.

+Quote Post
squee_nabob
post Jun 6 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,969

either determine how Iron Will works, or ban it.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 6 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #21

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

I ban banners.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 6 2011, 08:45 PM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

Like, 'Happy Birthday, Steve!'? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif) That's harsh.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Jun 6 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jun 6 2011, 02:46 PM) *
not only Stalahassee (= Stahlseele = Steelsoul (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )
but every german Player

with A ban Dance
Medicineman

Ooops--what what was thinking (Talahasse FL I think...)

With a Talahasse Tango,

Warlordtheft

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Jun 6 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

QUOTE (deek @ Jun 6 2011, 09:04 PM) *
I've always outlawed Technomancers from my games.

May I ask you for what reason?

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Jun 6 2011, 08:50 PM
Post #25

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 6 2011, 01:49 PM) *
… Where would they ever get a Thor shot or a nuke? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It's probably a mistake to ban S&S entirely. Instead, consider dialing it back (less DV), or not giving it a full -Half armor.

I've found the game works just fine without stick and shock, there are other non lethal options if the characters need them.

As far as things to ban i find less is more but here's my list:

Shifters
Possession Traditions
SnS
Detect Life
AI's (I run my game universe without little AI's or at least treat them as very very rare)

Things I look very hard at during character creation and am on the verge of banning:
Surge
Metavariants
Sustaining Foci:

I should also note that I pretty rigorously enforce line of sight for both sustaining and casting. Also emotoys are fine, they give the teddy ruxpin amazing abilities to determine someones mood and facial tics, that doesn't really help people much though. It's not full fledged emosofts.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.