IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The hidden dangers of Stun Batons., Why are melee tasers restricted and ranged ones aren't?
Ghost_in_the_Sys...
post Jun 6 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 29,932

Like the tin says, anyone have any idea why melee based tasers such as the stun gun and shock gloves are restricted while ranged tasers aren't? They do the same damage, but one can be used from a range, which seems inherently more dangerous. Is this some kind of oversight or is there something I'm not considering?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jun 6 2011, 11:42 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

Possibly re-usability/ammunition, and the fact that a stun baton can be useful once it`s charges run out?

+Quote Post
Badmoodguy88
post Jun 6 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,765

I guess the idea is that a taser is something you might stick in a purse for self defense but but a club like stun baton is something a guard would likely use, and people would not normally just walk around with. And so because it is meant for law enforcement of some kind it is restricted but not hard to get for anyone who is a citizen.

Kind of lame but I guess that is their reasoning. Certainly a house rule that changed it would make sense.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jun 7 2011, 12:42 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

QUOTE (Badmoodguy88 @ Jun 6 2011, 07:44 PM) *
I guess the idea is that a taser is something you might stick in a purse for self defense but but a club like stun baton is something a guard would likely use, and people would not normally just walk around with. And so because it is meant for law enforcement of some kind it is restricted but not hard to get for anyone who is a citizen.

Kind of lame but I guess that is their reasoning. Certainly a house rule that changed it would make sense.

Makes more sense then my reasoning.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 7 2011, 02:04 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Stun Batons are symbols of THE MAN and WHITEY, so they don't want the average person to get their hands on them and dilute the Intellectual Property or Psychological Impact.

Batons smashing against riot shields with "SUBMIT NOW" written on them...

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jun 7 2011, 03:13 AM
Post #6

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

In that case, do they become the Chair Leg of Truth when the charges run out?

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Jun 7 2011, 03:27 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 21,972

QUOTE (Adarael @ Jun 6 2011, 08:13 PM) *
In that case, do they become the Chair Leg of Truth when the charges run out?

The Chair Leg of Truth is the natural enemy of The Man's Batons! How dare you suggest they're allied?

+Quote Post
Ghost_in_the_Sys...
post Jun 7 2011, 03:30 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (ggodo @ Jun 6 2011, 10:27 PM) *
The Chair Leg of Truth is the natural enemy of The Man's Batons! How dare you suggest they're allied?

Actually it makes sense, when The Man's power runs out, what you get is Truth (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jun 7 2011, 03:31 AM
Post #9

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (ggodo @ Jun 7 2011, 11:27 AM) *

That's what they want you to think. They are one and the same. Truth through oppression.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 7 2011, 03:36 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Gel rounds are also restricted, even though capsule rounds aren't. This despite the fact that gel rounds do less damage than capsule rounds. Taser darts also aren't restricted, even though they do more damage and have more penetration than gel rounds unless you've put those gel rounds in a rifle.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 7 2011, 03:51 AM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (toturi @ Jun 6 2011, 10:31 PM) *
That's what they want you to think. They are one and the same. Truth through oppression.

Truth through superior firepower!

Writing is like a gun, you only get one shot, but you could blow the kneecap off the world...

Thing is, I only think that the Pen is mightier than the Sword when it's a concealed Zip Gun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Jun 7 2011, 03:54 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Some things don't make sense from balance, but more from fluff.
Some will never make sense.
I just roll with it under the pretense that the future laws are just as bad as current ones for consistency.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 7 2011, 04:01 AM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Yeah, if you want messed up, look at current laws.

When the "No Smoking" ban in bars went into effect in Ontario, there was a rider that allowed "Private Clubs" to have smoking indoors. So every bar that wanted to allow smoking (Almost 100%. My city's pollution is so bad you have a smoke to get some fresh air!) in my city put up a "Member's Only" sign on the door and charged $1 for a lifetime membership.

+Quote Post
Badmoodguy88
post Jun 7 2011, 04:03 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,765

Something like a gel round IRL kills with a head shot or a bad shot to the chest (stopped heart). While once again taser darts are I guess seen as self defense. Capsule rounds I guess are as illegal as what is inside of them. I mean you could be shooting nice refreshing lemonade at people... on full auto.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 7 2011, 04:10 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

How about a nice Hawai'ian (Pepper) Punch? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Jun 7 2011, 04:15 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 6 2011, 09:10 PM) *
How about a nice Hawai'ian (Pepper) Punch? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

FALCON (pepper) PUNCH!

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jun 7 2011, 06:17 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

QUOTE (Ghost_in_the_System @ Jun 6 2011, 07:37 PM) *
Like the tin says, anyone have any idea why melee based tasers such as the stun gun and shock gloves are restricted while ranged tasers aren't? They do the same damage, but one can be used from a range, which seems inherently more dangerous. Is this some kind of oversight or is there something I'm not considering?

Maybe the Writers didn't check the Crunch ?

with an unchecked Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 7 2011, 06:30 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jun 7 2011, 01:17 AM) *
Maybe the Writers didn't check the Crunch ?

with an unchecked Dance
Medicineman

REALLY? SAY IT AIN'T SO! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jun 7 2011, 08:50 AM
Post #19

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 7 2011, 11:51 AM) *
Thing is, I only think that the Pen is mightier than the Sword when it's a concealed Zip Gun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Really? No Parker pen bomb?

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jun 7 2011, 01:31 PM
Post #20

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Possibly for the same reason that, IRL, tazers are restricted but firearms aren't (as much). When you use a tazer, the expectation is that you aren't going to kill the dude, so you may use it in situations in which it is not appropriate for deadly force. However, since the jury is out on whether or not tazers can kill people, the government has decided, in order to reduce accidental deaths, tazers are restricted to individuals with the training and need appropriate to use them. Contrast that to firearms, which should only be used when deadly force is appropriate, but have a 0% chance of accidental 'overdeath'. The firearm is just more reliable in not delivering more entropy than it has been tasked with.

Presumably by 2060 tazers have been sorted out enough that it's very difficult to kill a dude on accident with one. So now they can be safely used by the general public in non-lethal situations without fear of accidental deaths, and therefore can be legalized. However, when wielding a stun baton, you are still hitting said dude in the face with a stick. Even if the device works perfectly, you are liable to accidentally kill someone, so its use is restricted to people with training and need.

+Quote Post
Ghost_in_the_Sys...
post Jun 7 2011, 02:39 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

That sounds mostly reasonable, I just wish they had a cattle prod or something that wouldn't be restricted so that it would be possible to use those sorts of attacks in melee.

And I don't know how the jury is out on if tazers can kill people or not. They can, but so can dog piling on someone, or getting into a wreck while transporting them, or a dozen other things. It's just so rare that you really barely have to worry. It's kind of like shark attacks. It happens a couple times and everyone goes crazy, never mind the billions of times it didn't happen.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 7 2011, 04:25 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

There's also the fact that you can have the Stun Baton turned off and just beat someone with it like, well, a baton!

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jun 7 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 6 2011, 07:51 PM) *
Truth through superior firepower!

Writing is like a gun, you only get one shot, but you could blow the kneecap off the world...

Where can I buy one of these penis mightiers?

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Jun 7 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jun 7 2011, 06:51 PM) *
Where can I buy one of these penis mightiers?

Check your email, I've probably remembered to send you a few good offers.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 7 2011, 05:38 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

QUOTE (Badmoodguy88 @ Jun 6 2011, 11:03 PM) *
Something like a gel round IRL kills with a head shot or a bad shot to the chest (stopped heart). While once again taser darts are I guess seen as self defense. Capsule rounds I guess are as illegal as what is inside of them. I mean you could be shooting nice refreshing lemonade at people... on full auto.

Yeah, and that lemonade round will be completely legal, despite being more likely to kill someone than the gel round you had to have a license for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:44 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.