Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Currency, rewards, bribes, and tips
suoq
post Jun 19 2011, 07:16 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,746

Much of the following is in RAW, may be in RAW only I never noticed it, or is completely contradicted by RAW, nevermind Fluff. Take as you will. Inspired by the thread on counterfeiting credsticks. If a similar thread/page exists, I wouldn't mind someone pointing me to it. Feel free to point out examples I missed in RAW or Fluff.

Common money movement:
SIN based account: The standard for personal currency, handled by whichever bank(s) are attached to your SIN. Transactions are live and common. Closest modern equivalent would be a Visa/MasterCard.
Business based account: Basically a SIN account that's attached to a business rather than a person. The account may be at a store level, a franchise owner level, a franchise level, or larger.
Account Transfer: Moving money from one SIN/Business account to another SIN/Business account. Runners should be careful in that too many movements to the same account creates links as does moving money from one fake SIN to another fake SIN. Trust funds become an issue as well.

Major Rewards:
'ware, expensive gear, weapons, vehicles, clearing of criminal records, sponsorship for a legal SIN (something the runner may or many not want)
Company Store Account: This is a prepaid account attached to a business for use at that business. The account may be restricted as to where it can be used, such as only at a particular store, only at a franchise store, only at warehouse pickup, etc. This is a semi-private way for a company to pay off a runner in the goods of their choice without attracting much attention. Company store accounts have a number of non-runner uses, such as employee rewards, franchise rewards, contests, etc.
Certified Credstick: Once popular, you don't know how good they are until someone gives you the password, you don't know if they're forged, and you still need to find a bank or business who will accept them. While it's a great way to move a lot of money, it involves trusting someone where a lot of money is concerned.

Moderate Rewards:
Gear, shop/facility access, fake sin/licenses, foci, Lifestyle based rewards (entertainment, shelter, safehouse for the duration of the mission, etc.), favors (mechanic , smuggler, hacker, etc.)
Circle Coin: A "circle coin" is a small foci crated by a member of of a circle whose sole purpose is to a way to say that the holder of the coin has done a service for that person or the circle. Such a coin is not only useful for getting someone in a circle to help you, it is a way to get them to trust you in the first place. Such coins are rare and their existence is not common knowledge. Since the coin makes it easy to trace the creator, someone has to really appreciate you to make such a coin.

Barter:
Ammo, medication, filters, energy packs, entertainment chips, salt, vitamins, Potassium Iodide (tablets)
Store Chips: A prepaid chip usable only at the franchise for which it's for. Because they contain an large encrypted account number, move money in real time from the account, and have extremely low upper limits, they're simply not worth forging most of the time. (Effort plus risk far exceeds reward.) Modern equivalent: Prepaid cards.
Material Slugs: Originally created for fabrication, these slugs are solid discs of rare materials, from copper to gold to titanium. Their value is simply their weight in the material they're made out of. They can be forged (plating for example) but since cutting one in half doesn't actually decrease the value, they're easy to check and verify. Depending on size, material, and volume, these can serve as semi-untraceable payment for anything from a run to a tip to a street kid for information or to watch your car.

Open to suggestions, comments, etc. I may edit the above based on replies.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Badmoodguy88
post Jun 19 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,765

I like it. More interesting loot in shadowrun. Now there is an increase chance when you hit an orc with your SUV they will drop gold coins. No matter how many peasants I smite with my sports utility vehicle they never seem to drop sweet loot.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 19 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

"Another day older and deeper in debt,
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go,
I owe my soul to the company store" - Sixteen Tons

+Quote Post
redwulf25
post Jun 19 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 24,929

Don't forget that a traditional Company Store massively inflates their prices because, hey where else are you going to spend that corporate scrip. Sure 150k in scrip to split 5 ways sounds good but when you find out it only buys you 75K or less worth of goods . . .

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 19 2011, 10:38 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (redwulf25 @ Jun 19 2011, 05:32 PM) *
Don't forget that a traditional Company Store massively inflates their prices because, hey where else are you going to spend that corporate scrip. Sure 150k in scrip to split 5 ways sounds good but when you find out it only buys you 75K or less worth of goods . . .
You also need to spend how much on a Fake SIN that won't get broken when you try to buy from the Corporate stores as well. Corporate Script is only legally useable by citizens of the corporation in question.

That's great, you have 10,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) in Ares Script, too bad you don't have an Ares SIN to use it at the local Weapon's World.

On the bright side, it is accepted at most of the fine stores at the Crime Mall!

The Crime Mall, for all your sociopathic shopping needs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Jun 19 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,965

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 19 2011, 10:38 PM) *
You also need to spend how much on a Fake SIN that won't get broken when you try to buy from the Corporate stores as well. Corporate Script is only legally useable by citizens of the corporation in question.

That's great, you have 10,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) in Ares Script, too bad you don't have an Ares SIN to use it at the local Weapon's World.

On the bright side, it is accepted at most of the fine stores at the Crime Mall!

The Crime Mall, for all your sociopathic shopping needs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And what do you get if you act now and get an Ares SIN? Well my friend each and every piece of your fine firearm comes equipped, free of charge, with it's own RFID so that should you have a malfunction you can bring it back for your Life Time Warranty and we can diagnose it instantly. From the trigger guard to the slide lock.

+Quote Post
redwulf25
post Jun 19 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 24,929

QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jun 19 2011, 05:46 PM) *
And what do you get if you act now and get an Ares SIN? Well my friend each and every piece of your fine firearm comes equipped, free of charge, with it's own RFID so that should you have a malfunction you can bring it back for your Life Time Warranty and we can diagnose it instantly. From the trigger guard to the slide lock.

Wait, what's this fine print about being able to track me everywhere I go?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 19 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (redwulf25 @ Jun 19 2011, 05:54 PM) *
Wait, what's this fine print about being able to track me everywhere I go?

Never mind that, son, never mind that at all. It's all there for your own safety and security! If you use the weapon outside of a firearms range, the local police security company will respond all the quicker to your defense! And, if your weapon is ever stolen, we'll find the perpetrator all the faster!

"Concerned about security? Our eye-on-you camera allows the Overseer to watch your every move. You'll never be alone again!" - Fallout 3

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Sep 9 2011, 02:19 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,585

QUOTE (Badmoodguy88 @ Jun 19 2011, 05:22 PM) *
I like it. More interesting loot in shadowrun. Now there is an increased chance when you hit an orc with your SUV they will drop gold coins.

Oh God. I'm laughing so hard at this.

I can't see!

Tears:)

Thanks for the funny
-Tir

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 9 2011, 04:02 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Just don't hit the Troll with your SUV. He might win that fight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) And then YOU drop gold coins. And teeth.

+Quote Post
Method
post Sep 9 2011, 04:06 AM
Post #11

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

I like the idea that transferring funds from a legit SIN-linked account to a fake has risks. It actually creates a role for money laundering in the SR world.

Also, souq, if your players are bartering for salt and potassium iodine tablets your game is truly full of gritty awesomeness! I love it.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 9 2011, 04:11 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Depending on where you're running, that's only smart. If you're running the campaign described in War! (Or "Bogota!" as some have termed the book), then a payment in water purification tablets would be a MAJOR payment indeed!

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Sep 9 2011, 04:14 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (suoq @ Jun 19 2011, 02:16 PM) *
Moderate Rewards:
Circle Coin: A "circle coin" is a small foci crated by a member of of a circle whose sole purpose is to a way to say that the holder of the coin has done a service for that person or the circle. Such a coin is not only useful for getting someone in a circle to help you, it is a way to get them to trust you in the first place. Such coins are rare and their existence is not common knowledge. Since the coin makes it easy to trace the creator, someone has to really appreciate you to make such a coin.

Sounds like it should be a major reward, if they are so valuble and rare.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.