IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adepts, keep your Spell Defenses up!, Am i nuts?
blakkie
post Mar 27 2004, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,263

Is it intentional, or unintentional that Adepts (of any sort) can use Spell Defense?

Being able to learn to cast spells or conjure for that matter doesn't not seem to be, by letter of the rules, a requirement for using Spell Defense. The skill description states you do need a Magic attribute above 0 to learn the Sorcery, ergo Spell Defense, skill. It does NOT state you need to learn spells or be able to cast spells, nor can i find anywhere else that it makes that requirement. Am i blind? Or was this intentional by FASA that Adepts are able to fight off spells? Using a Spell Pool? Or am i blind and missing a passage somewhere?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Mar 27 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,175

Well, under spell defence, p183 SR3, it does talk about "the magician" and "the caster" when stating the rules for spell defence. So that does kindof imply that you have to be.. a magician to use it.

According to the skill description though, adepts can learn sorcery if they want. If your GM was pretty damn liberal in the way he interpreted the rules he might let adepts employ spell defence, but I'm guessing most wouldn't.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 27 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

"While adepts and mundanes can learn magical Background Skills, they cannot manipulate mana and cannot use Active Magic Skills." SR3, page 160

There are exceptions, but the spell defense specialization of sorcery is not one of them.

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Mar 27 2004, 06:32 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,175

Ah, there you go!

+Quote Post
Mardegun
post Mar 28 2004, 05:19 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 521

Actually adepts can use magical skills and they do manipulate mana. Adepts can learn aura reading, sorcery and a several skills from Mits. On tops of that they do control mana in the confines of there own body ... expect for the magician adepts, who can cast spells.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Mar 28 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

In 2nd Ed at least (not entirely sure about 3rd, I'd have to look and I'm lazy), Sorcery was used in astral combat.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Mar 28 2004, 06:28 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

QUOTE (Mardegun)
Actually adepts can use magical skills and they do manipulate mana.

No, they can't.

Adepts can learn Sorcery, but can only use it in astral combat. Nothing else, and no, Adepts do not get Spell Defense.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Mardegun
post Mar 28 2004, 07:23 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

What is up your butt Sphynx?

I never said that adepts could use spell defense, I only said they can use magical skills. Which you agreed with ...

Sphynx:
Adepts can learn Sorcery, but can only use it in astral combat.

So again what is your problem?

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Mar 28 2004, 07:44 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

The way your post was phrased, Mardegun, it wasn't clear if you were implying that physads can use sorcery for spell defense. Sphynx was just refuting an argument it sounded like you were making.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Mar 28 2004, 08:29 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Nothing up my butt, so take a chill pill, just stating the facts.

The can not manipulate mana.

They can not use Active Magical Skills except Sorcery for Astral Combat.

Those are facts, not opinions, not arguements, and definitely not anything personal.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Mar 28 2004, 08:32 PM
Post #11

Mr. Quote-function

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (Sphynx)
They can not use Active Magical Skills except Sorcery for Astral Combat.

Those are facts, not opinions, not arguements, and definitely not anything personal.

Check your facts on Aura Reading ;)

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Mar 28 2004, 08:38 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

True that, but I don't consider Aura Reading an Active skill. You roll Intelligence for that and treat Aura Reading as a Background Skill for bonus successes. :P

Sphynx

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Mar 28 2004, 09:21 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Mardegun)
...On tops of that they do control mana in the confines of there own body ...

See, that is where i got the idea of Spell Defense, that they can use it when only directly targetted at them. Sort of an improved spell resistance. In some ways it does make sense since that the only way a normal adept that is carrying Weapon foci to protect themselves from astral only assault.

BTW does this all mean that Conjurer aspected mages can't use Spell Defense?

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Mar 28 2004, 09:37 PM
Post #14

Mr. Quote-function

QUOTE (Sphynx @ Mar 28 2004, 10:38 PM)
True that, but I don't consider Aura Reading an Active skill.  You roll Intelligence for that and treat Aura Reading as a Background Skill for bonus successes.  :P

:D

QUOTE (Sphynx)

So much for that ;)

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 28 2004, 09:39 PM
Post #15

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

I believe thats correct blakkie.

+Quote Post
Mardegun
post Mar 29 2004, 02:40 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Sphynx

Sphynx, believe me I am cool and I don't need a chill pill. I have no interested in starting a flame war.

I admit that I wasn't absolutely clear and for that I apologize, it wasn't intensional. However I was right, at least this time. ;)

I meant the following
1) Adepts do use magical skills, just not in the same way as magicians. So no, they do not have spell defense, unless they can cast spells.

2) Adepts do manipulate mana, assuming that we agree that mana is considered magic. Do we all agree that mana and magic are the same thing? If so than adepts do manipulate mana, that is why they are considered magically active. If you don't believe me read the description of adepts on page 168 in SR3. It says the following

"Instead, adepts focus their magic on the improvement of body and mind."

I don't think it is a stretch when I said
On tops of that they do control mana in the confines of there own body ...

Now blakkie to answer your question

does this all mean that Conjurer aspected mages can't use Spell Defense?

You are correct, they are as vulnerable to spells as mundanes. This is because they can not cast spells. So to be absolutely clear ... while they could learn sorcery if they can't cast spells, they have no spell defense.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Mar 29 2004, 02:49 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Non-spellslingers do have some options for resisting spells.

Adepts can take Magic Resistance. There are also a few powers such as True Sight that only protect against certain types of spells. If you create an adept who follows the magician's way, then you have normal access to Sorcery and spell defense.

Mundanes can take the Magic Resistance Edge, although compared to the adept power it has drawbacks (say bye-bye to magical healing).

For conjurers, remember that a few spirits have the Magical Guard power.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Mar 29 2004, 04:49 AM
Post #18

Mr. Quote-function

QUOTE (Glyph)
For conjurers, remember that a few spirits have the Magical Guard power.

And at least shamanistic types also have the option of having their nature spirits confuse the potential aggressor while simultaniously being conceiled. Both hearth and city spirits (as the most common types a normal [running] shaman will have to deal with) possess both powers.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Mar 29 2004, 01:08 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Also a conjuror could summon some spirits (watchers and whatever big fish he can muster) and use them (and help himself) to construct a ward. The reason I suggest using many spirits is that with that many dice and all of the karma rerolls from the spirits, a good conjurer could on average get a low-force ward up after a few minutes. It's not really practical during a run, but it coulkd be used to quickly ward a vehicle or something.

Concealment and wards also make ritual sorcery much more difficult during the linking test. A conjurer with a bit of preparation time could be concealed inside a low-force ward, thus very hard to link to.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Mar 29 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Just an FYI on Lilt's suggestion, it's the reason I don't allow karma for spirits as a GM. A spirit gets to choose where his karma is spent, not the conjurer (in my games at least, and I can't find anything to suggest otherwise). Spirits tend to use that karma for things like, not being destroyed, not being banished, etc. However, in a game where the GM let's the conjuror control the karma expenditure of his spirits, it's a good idea, I just suggest GMs not allow that.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Mar 29 2004, 04:10 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

I can agree with your point somewhat Sphynx, but consider also that it's not up to the character when the character uses Karma, it's up to the player.

[edit] IE: The spirit's/character's desires don't always figure-in to karma expenditure. Sure a player will use a karma to prevent himself from being killed, so would a spirit, but karma is also used to do thing faster/better. If a player commanded a spirit to do something as well as it can: it should do it as well as it can, possibly including using karma if it needs to. As such I have always left the choice of when a spirit spends karma up-to the player. [/edit]

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 29 2004, 04:37 PM
Post #22

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

I make it so the spirit's use of Karma is wholly dependant on how well the summoner treated this and previous spirits. If he's a dick comstantly making spirits sacrifice themselves, and perform painful services, then theres no way that they will use their karma for him. Thay'll probably look for ways to twist the letter of commands after a while too.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 10:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.